classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My '82 blew a fuse . .

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
today. I had the AC on . . click and no blower. So just looking for anything specific to these models that might be common? Other than the obvious. Another question . .is the high speed blower setting just straight to ground? I think no as there should be a limiter in that blower resistor  . .but??.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My '82 blew a fuse . .

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If it truly is Fuse 9, as shown here, then I'd try a new fuse before going any farther.  I've had them fail and a replacement last for years.

But it could also be other things.  For instance, the thermal limiter in the resistor pack is a known problem.  They just get old and die, which kills the blower.  Or, it could be that a resistor failed in the pack, which kills that speed but not other speeds.

And, if the new fuse also fails then there's the question of how quickly.  If immediately then you obviously have a short.  But a bad motor, or one that has worn bearings such that it is dragging can pull so much current that it'll blow the fuse.  In that case try different speeds to see what happens.

Does that help?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I did. It was the 30A fuse. First thing I did was try another. It lasted about 20 seconds. All speeds seem to work until the fuse blows. No noise or anything from the blower motor, but that should be my first check. I thought there was a limiter in the resistors. I'll check that as well.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The thermal limiter is a one-shot thing, not an auto-reset unit.  So, when it goes the blower is done.  But, it shows that High bypasses the limiter.

I'd be surprised if a bad motor would blow a fuse on a lower speed.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
OK, well if high speed bypasses the limiter, then the motor grounded directly gives you high speed. So the motor should not draw over the 30 amps. Hmmmm
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If the bearings are dry or worn such that the armature is dragging on the field, which happens, then it will draw more current than it should.  On a lower speed setting that still shouldn't be more than 30 amps, but it could be on High.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Agreed.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Since the slider is vacuum operated, has no electricity to it, how is that a problem? Now the fan switch . . .
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.