138 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

My '82 Flareside

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
I have started work on it. Paint is generally nice on the outside, a few spots to fix.But I'm starting inside. The interior was not up to snuff. I pulled out the rubber mat and found some rust on the passenger side floor. The main part was above the frame rail so I didn't see it from looking under. When this truck was painted, they painted the floor as well. But covered up some rust with bondo. So I removed the bondo, did some patching ( welding ) and painted it with Master Series Silver. You are looking at about 2 1/2 hours of work. Other side doesn't have the rust this side did. it will be much quicker. The jute under the rubber mat was wet on passenger side, hence the rust. Any known places the Bullnose's leak up front? I'm not talking the obvious, but stuff you know from experience with these trucks?.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: My '82 Flareside

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The windshield butyl seals dry up and leak. And the cowl/firewall can leak. Also, around the HVAC duct where it goes through the firewall. And the drip rails can leak if rusted.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Cowl isn't rusted that I can see. ( plenty of experience fixing rusted cowls  . . working on vintage Mustangs. Even had to do a cowl repair on my '69 F100 project.)
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1379/13721647/24668759/413229337.jpg
Drip rails have some rust, that is something I need to attack soon, planning on a different color roof. I'll check HVAC stuff too.

Both sides finished.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Here's a funny pic.

I decided to remove the upper cowl section and have a good look. as expected, no rust or seam sealer missing, etc. However, I will coat the seams with Master Series before I put the upper cowl in place. I flooded the cowl with water, looking for the leak. On the left side, I found the leak shown in the pic. Funny. That is the hole for the screw that attaches the kick panel. So obviously an obstruction in the drain. I removed dirt and debris . . and  . .  a 3m sanding pad. Hmm, that would certainly block things up. I cleaned it all with the hose and all is well. On the right side, again a leak from the side drain. But instead of at the screw hole, it was at the seam, inside the vent panel hole . .hard to explain. I also cleaned out debris. I will seal all the seams with Master Series, seal the vent access panel and even the screws that holds the panel and the kick panel.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Why don't you just put the screw back in with goop on it?  

Anyway, good find.  It would be a really big pain to have a leak once done with it.  

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
So here is the cowl area with MS on it. I made sure the entire seam was coated, as well as down the sides to the drain location.

Then painted the inside of the two drain areas, from the access panel. I made sure the MS was was in the seams. I'm hoping no more problems here.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How thick is the MS?  In other words, is it thin enough to penetrate but thick enough not to run out?

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Basically, yes. It can be sprayed. If the can is fresh fresh fresh . .it will spray through a primer gun as is. But most times cutting it 10% is needed. as it ages, more than 10%. As far as brushing, it's easy to use. But again, is effected by the age some. Also depends on how many times you opened it, and how you opened it :) if you do every thing right, you can get 9 months from a can usually. But it is a good self leveling material, so it does flow. But you can get it to bridge a gap if that is to what you are getting .
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, that's what I was asking about - if it would flow in but still bridge a gap.  Thanks for the explanation.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
I think whoever was supposed to be sealing the right side area was permanently out to lunch during the 80s, Darth had a completely unsealed area in the right airbox causing a leak from the seam that ran down under the carpet and rusted the floor though.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I agree :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Oz Econoline/F100
Hey Pete where is this access panel holes. In the A pillar?
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
They are behind the kick panels. If you have no A/C the vents occupy that location.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This illustration comes from Interior/Door Panels:

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Right this is an AC truck, so no vents there, just the access panel. So I have fixed another leak on the right side, by the HVAC unit and now I think I do have a small drip at the windshield, so the trim is coming off next  :)  left side is bone dry now.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep. The adhesive/sealer around the windshield dries and cracks on these trucks.  The right way to fix it is to remove the windshield, fix the rust that probably has started, and re-seal it.  An interim fix is to use flowable RTV, but that doesn't fix any rust that has started.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Pete, one item to consider, the cowl vent grille on the 1980 - 86 models has some fairly large holes in it, leaves will fall in there along with other small items. In 1987 through the 1991 models, the shape is the same but the holes are a bunch of probably 3/16-1/4" holes and the crap build up in the bottom of the air boxes is much lower and seems to self clear (I have a 1990 front end on Darth and during a hard rain, or if I hose the cowl area down, water pours out of the area behind the fenders). I took some plastic screen material on a Chevy van I was fixing as it had the same kind of crap in the air boxes, I laid it under the cowl cover and leaves can still fall on it, but blow off with no problem.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The small drip I am still getting ( never noticed it before the other leaks were fixed ) is hitting the door hinge threaded plates. It then bounces out the hole in the kick panel area and lands on the floor. It is very small, but I watched them hit the threaded plate, and then bounce out onto the floor.That area is not part of the cowl drain.
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm curious where that is coming from.  I'm sure you'll find out, so please let us know.

1234 ... 7