Motorcraft Reman Calipers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Motorcraft Reman Calipers

Bruno2
I bought a couple of re manufactured Motorcraft brand calipers for my truck with the D50 up front. The right side came from Rockauto, but since they didnt have the left  in stock I had to get it from parts geek. The one from parts geek gave me installation issues. When I threaded the caliper anchor plate bolts in they became tight after about 6 turns. I backed them out and checked the old anchor plate for fitment. They fit fine. So I went back to the install on the new. Once again they wouldnt hand thread. I grabbed the impact and gave them a rattle or two only to find them jammed up. I pulled the bolts out and the threads were distorted this time,

I contacted parts geek to do a return because something was apparently incorrect. Their return procedure was a little less than satisfactory. They wanted me to foot the shipping without offering a discounted shipping label. The caliper was too big to fit in any of the USPS flat rate boxes. I just shipped my PS gear box to Blue Top and it cost a lot of money to do so. More than I was willing to pay gambling that they were going to say it was an installation issue denying my refund and shipping costs. So I opted with going to the tool place and buying an M16-2.0 tap to try to repair the threads or at least find out if the return was 100% necessary for half of the return shipping price.

Got the tap back to the shop and set the anchor plate on the back of the truck for surgery. I started the tap and somewhere around that 6 revolution mark I encountered the same resistance I was having with the bolts. I threaded it in a half turn at a time and backed it out a full turn with every forward movement. It never got easy until the tap was starting to protrude through the back of the holes. A few metal shards came out, but a whole lot of what looked like iron oxide blast media was pouring out. I am assuming that through the rebuild procedure the parts were blasted, but were not cleaned out thoroughly. This is what was jamming the bolt up. I have installed several reman calipers over the yrs, but have never encountered this. I also did the one from Rockauto to be sure the same wasnt going to happen. Some material came out, but nothing like the left side produced.

Now the bolts were compromised. Being brake parts I didnt want to gamble so I tried to find the anchor plate bolts on the web. This was a difficult task. Gary produced a part number for of N800794-S60. We both scoured the web with no luck. Garry suggested Ford. I went and talked to my new sales rep since the other retired like the one before him. I gave him the yr make and model. He produced a part number of N811625-S100 which was the updated number from the one Gary had. He said it's non existent. He did a search and found a dealership in Poteau OK that had some. So while I was sitting there I Googled the new part number. The search produced an even newer updated part number of W710517-S439. I asked the rep to plug that one in. He did and said they had 17 of them in stock. We went to the back and looked at them. Sure enough M16-2.0 X 50 mm Metric grade 10.9 caliper anchor plate bolts. I bought 4 and went back to the install.

Since the threads were repaired in the anchor plate I was a little leary about if they were going to torque to spec and be safe or if I was going to be back in the same boat for a return to parts geek. I started the torque sequence at about 120 ftlbs . I do this to warm the torque wrench so it is on the money when I get to the end of the spec. I jumped to 140 ftlbs and then set it for 165 ftlbs for the final torque. The bolts held just fine . I believe the install was a success. I am happy.

In conclusion I dont think Parts Geek is the way to go for online parts. I have had an issue or two with Rockauto over the yrs, but have had plenty of good experiences with them. I am scratching Parts Geek off of the list though. Their return policy isnt friendly enough for me. I spent $20 for the tap and $4.25 each for the ruined bolts. I shouldnt have had to do that. Their return policy should have been easier and not financially abusive to the customer. The bolt issue was mine for trying to run them in even though I knew there something fishy. I will own that part of the additional cost. Regarding Motorcraft reman quality, I would like to still think their quality is superior to other remans . However, this one left a bad tatse in my mouth being that their part was 2x the cost of Raybestos or Cardone.
Whitey: 1996 F 250 XL CCLB 4X4 7.3 DI ZF5 (The Work Horse) Lots of power mods
Whitey Jr: AKA Jr 1982 F 150 CCLB 4X4 351W C6 (Jr Work Horse) respectable power, but not over the top
The Bronco: 1987 Bronco XLT 351W C6 (needs work) Lots of off road mods and plenty of power mods
The Dodge: 2006 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 5.9 HO Cummins (The reliable ride that cant keep an AC in itself) (5th AC go around almost complete)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Motorcraft Reman Calipers

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Brandon - Glad you got it together.  I'm going to put that new part # in my '95 factory shop manual, along with the correct torque spec's, which were also wrong.

And, I think I'm glad that Jim convinced me to rebuild the calipers for the '95 D60 on Big Blue.  It probably took me less time to powder coat and rebuild them than it took you to get the re-man'd calipers working.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Bruno2
That is a bummer!

I’m replacing the calipers on my truck now. Decided to pay more at the NAPA here, one reason is return shipping. The other is I like having parts stores here and try to buy local. After it’s all said and done it’s not that much more. They give a veterans discount or AAA, so that helps.

Then I put the left caliper on and start on the right. I have two lefts. It was misboxed. Bit of a setback, but no shipping on my part.

Also found out it’s hard to get speed bleeders for these calipers. If you can get them.

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bruno2
Well I had a good summary of my experience with Parts Geek all typed up but then chrome gave me the 'aw, snap' error when I tried to post. Probably for the best in the end though.

Long story short, I am pretty forgiving of online retailers since things happen, people make mistakes, and software isn't infallible.

That said though, I have no hesitation saying I will never again buy from or recommend Parts Geek to anyone. Horrible customer service.

Sorry you had to deal with them.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - Did you have a bad customer-service experience as well?  Not sure I understand.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
That I did.

Was this part too vague?

"I have no hesitation saying I will never again buy from or recommend Parts Geek to anyone. Horrible customer service."

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
Also found out it’s hard to get speed bleeders for these calipers. If you can get them.
Just found this out last week also  Bought a couple sets for my truck without doing much research only to find out neither set fits either front or back of a 4wd 250. Either wrong threads or too short to fully seat.
If anyone does find some that work for that application, please let us know.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I’m holding on to mine because I also researched and they should fit my Bronco.

We’ll see!

One counterman said he could get some at $19.99 a piece. I said no and I’m doubtful. May have to go back and see what part number and from who.

I thought Dormans might work, but not long enough. NAPA doesn’t list any on their website so that may say a lot.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona