Motorcraft 2bl carb

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Motorcraft 2bl carb

hubcityford
I am going to rebuild my original carb but have a few questions. The bottom of the carb is a thick spacer, is this metal? And Will I need two gaskets to replace? I haven’t tried to pry off but it appears to have a gasket between the carb and spacer and on bottom of spacer where is sat on engine. Also on the cover of carb has a thin ridged piece that I wanted to know if carb cleaner will hurt. I plan on soaking overnight and didn’t want to soak the wrong things. Can brass be soaked as well? Any tips on cleaning appreciated.  Happy Independence Day!!

Jeremy

5F8D2A39-EF09-4099-8761-35691F4750A4.jpeg4798977A-B5CE-4DF4-84ED-B91303E8F15E.jpeg
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Motorcraft 2bl carb

85lebaront2
Administrator
In the order asked:

(1) Spacer is a phenolic insulating block. It should come off if you carefully coax it (careful, it will crack easily)

(2) It depends on what you are soaking it in. Many commercial carburetor cleaners can cause a mild reaction between the aluminum, brass and steel parts of the carburetor. If you are just soaking it in a solvent (kerosene, Varsol) it generally won't hurt anything to leave it soaking overnight. That may also loosen up the spacer.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

hubcityford
What do I need to soak in? I want to make sure things are clean but don’t want to damage anything. Any idea of what the part that looks like “toothpick” ?

And and suggestions on replacing anything else while I got carb off? Pic of engine without carb.
Jeremy “Hubcityford“
1981 4.2L (255) V8 Auto
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I assume you are referring to the piece on the bottom side of the top of the carb? It is a "pull over" enrichment system, at high flow rates it adds fuel to the air stream. As for soaking it, Varsol or kerosene won't harm anything. The commercial cleaners I used to use would attack the nylon fast idle lever and the slide seal for the choke rod where it passes up through the top of the carb if they were left in it too long.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413