Motorcraft 2150 2BBL Carb Rebuild- Welch Plugs?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
47 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Motorcraft 2150 2BBL Carb Rebuild- Welch Plugs?

Bulletproof250
Does anyone know where I can get replacement welch plugs for the Motorcraft 2150 carburetor? I'm working on this after a long time of r having a rusty tank. I've purchased a rebuild kit, however I'd really like to clean out all of the galleys or channels for the associated jet circuits. I've done this on my small motors carburetors and it has worked swimmingly. I guess I could try and make my own but I always like to purchase the right part first. I've checked over as many rebuild kits, and none list plugs.

Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Motorcraft 2150 2BBL Carb Rebuild- Welch Plugs?

85lebaront2
Administrator
I never had to take any out in years of operating a carburetor shop.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Thanks Bill, I just  know that there's all kinds of sediment in there, but if there is a way to be sure to get it our without removing the welch plugs..... Please let me know what you suggest. I currently have the entire carb torn down, I do not have the Professionals-only carb cleaner, but if I can get away with some Gunk Carb cleaner, it's right up my alley
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Compressed air is your friend. Be sure to look at the small inside tubes going down into the fuel wells.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
That's my plan this weekend; lots of Carb Clean, small brushes, and plenty of compressed air.
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Houston, do we have a problem?

I'm concerned I'll get this thing together with the correct float setting and this will need to be taken apart again. I've already found a broken metering rod spring so I'll be ordering some parts, and I figure if i need to get a new needle and seat set, now would be the time to know, before the reassembly.

Thanks,
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Depends on what kind of kit (a) you bought and (b) what was last done to it. Float setting is not as critical on these as it is on some others, you can set it at 1/2" and it will probably be fine. Be sure if there was an assist spring under the float arm that it is reinstalled correctly. The tang of the float goes through the hook on the new needle and seat.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Thanks Bill,

You're right, I'm not 100% sure the exact details for this kit, but i know that the accelerator pump diaphragm is slightly different with an additional rod section to extend it to fit mine. I appreciate the insight on the float level, it was something i was concerned about, but I was able to find the specs for it. I'm looking forward to running this truck with the rebuilt carb after i saw so much rust and particles come out of it, as i cleaned it up, and flushed it out.
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Alex - Make sure you put plenty of filtration on the fuel.  Assuming you have a mechanical pump, I've run a clear plastic filter ahead of the pump and one after.  The one ahead of the pump tends to need replacing much more often than the other.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Thanks Gary, I just replaced the tank with a plastic one. i already replaced the fuel pump, and I've always had a clear inline filter following the pump. In combination with that there is the one at the Carb as well. I feel like the system should stay pretty clean. Unless you think that I'm overlooking something, I'm thinking that I'll stick with the current layout.
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250

Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Man, that thing had a lot of rust in it.  But you are getting it clean.  

And I think your filters should work.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
Be sure when you put the throttle plates back in that they are centered properly. Either restake or loctite the screws, one of them coming out can ruin your whole day.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
85lebaront2 wrote
 one of them coming out can ruin your whole day.
Bill,

Yeah I'd imagine so, any suggestions on a good thread locker somewhat impervious to gasoline?
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I used Loctite red, or if you can get a large punch or piece of bar stock clamped in a vice, hold the carburetor, or have someone hold it for you, use a center punch on the end of the threads to upset them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
I went with Loctite Green (Bearing) and claimed it "Good" started it her up, easy.  Then came to to the idle Mixture. I kept adjusting the mixture down and them the idle. It still idles rough, forever. Does it have a cam?  It does have a speed shop sticker from 30+ years ago, I guess it's a possibility. How would I know?
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
How 'bout giving us a video of it idling?  If you don't know how let me know and I can provide instructions.

As for figuring out if you have a cam that "bigger" than stock, that's not easy.  If you don't have any documentation then the only way I know of to do it is to measure the lift with a dial indicator at the valve while noting the open & close times using a degree wheel on the crankshaft.  I've done it, and it is tedious.

Having said all that, if the air/fuel mix is too lean you can get an unsteady idle where the engine almost dies and then recovers, almost dies and then recovers, time after time.

Also, it is possible to have a similar problem if the choke is on too far and the vacuum pull-off pulls it too far off.  So make sure the choke if fully off before you start adjusting the idle air/fuel mix.  If you have to, loosen the three screws and dial the choke back so it is fully open.

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
There's many things that can cause a less than ideal idle. Further analysis will ultimately get it worked out. Happy onion peeling!
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Having said all that, if the air/fuel mix is too lean you can get an unsteady idle where the engine almost dies and then recovers, almost dies and then recovers, time after time.
Gary,

I suspect that your right, but i must ask, what does everyone use to get to those screws while the engine is running. I'm a risk taker and all, but passing up on my past years of trial and error, I'd rather not find myself laying on the fan shroud ,as I had been, while the engine is running trying to get at at those mixture screws for adjustment.

I know there has to be a better way but I have yet to find a "perfect-fit" in my Google searches.

please advise,
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Most parts stores used to carry carburetor adjusters, a long flexible shaft, or a curved tube with a flexible shaft inside it. The good ones had a sleeve like a screw starter to keep the bit engaged on the mixture screw.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile