More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Folks, Jim has asked if we can have more emoticons.  And frequently I've had the same question as I look through the ones we have and can't find what I'm looking for or get confused by many that are essentially the same.  But after a bit of research I find that we can add them.  In fact, it appears that we can even eliminate some if we want to do so.

Given that, I need to know which ones to add and which ones to delete.  But, the ones to add appear to need to be in .gif format.  (And so far I haven't gotten the additions I've tried to work, but I think they will.)

And, here are the one's I'd take out:

Drunk:   Don't want to suggest we are drunks

Hurt:   Never seen it used

Pirate:   Never seen it used

Mustache:    Never seen it used

Ninja:  Never seen it used

Music:     Never seen it used

Teeth:   Never seen it used

Sleep:   Never seen it used

Oh No:   There are too many others like this one, including  and

Happy:     There's one almost identical called Grin    So I'd take out one or the other.

So, can we find some Ford gifs?  Some truck gifs?  What can you come up with?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: More Emoticons? Less Emoticons? Which Ones?

grumpin
I use teeth, but you can take it out if you want of course.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And I use black eye to symbolize something I've done to myself, or has blown up in my face.

But I JUST used drunk (to symbolize a impulsive and silly idea)

Keep em coming folks!....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, if you use something then I'm not pushing to take it out.

HOWEVER, I temporarily replaced Drunk with Laughing: . Mainly just to see how to do it. And, for my own edification here's how I did it:

1. Found a gif I wanted to try and discovered I needed to have it on some easily-linked to site, so put it on my Test Page on this website
  2. Went to the Test Page and copied the URL
  3. Went to the bottom of the page of the main forum and clicked on "Edit this page"
  4. Searched for smilie_macro and then edited it to change Drunk to Laughing and inserted the URL between the quotes.
  5. Looked at the emoticon table and discovered that Laughing was about 10 times too big
  6. Went to EZGIF and resized the file down by a factor of 10 and saved it on my One Drive
  7. Put that file on the Test Page and got the URL
  8. Edited the macro again and inserted the new URL

That worked, but it is going to take some fine tuning. It looks like the emoticon is still too big and there may be too much whitespace around it. But, at least I know how to get a new emoticon on.

Now we just have to find ones that we want. Hint, hint, hint....

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For grins here are some comparisons of the default emoticons and Laughing:

Those should all have been in one line, like this:

And now I've downsized Laughing from 42 x 42 pixels to 20 x 20 and lets see how he plays:

Nope, that's not the only issue.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I agree with you on losing 'drunk'.

Not that I'm a teatotaler or in the club, but it's not a good look.
I just didn't see a better choice. So I used it....

And this is why I asked about having more choices.

So, maybe a 'foof'? (blowing up in its face)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I'm not picturing "foof".  Can you find an example and give me a link to it?

As for other emoticons, I did some searching and found this statement in The Atlantic:

The Ford F-150 has been the best-selling vehicle in the United States for the past 35 years. But you wouldn’t know it from looking at your smartphone.

There are 54 emoji to represent different modes of transportation, at least on modern iPhones. A mind-boggling 12 of them depict trains: You can text a friend everything from a light-rail car to a steam locomotive to the shinkansen. There’s a red coupe, a yellow taxi, an ambulance. There is even a scooter emoji.

But there is no pickup-truck emoji.

Now, that's speaking of our phones, etc.  But that doesn't mean there aren't ones elsewhere for pickups.  Perhaps someone out there has made one we want?  Can someone find one?

And, in my searching I've found some that might be useful:

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
We also need to consider future generations; for example, my son primarily communicates electronically via the poop emoji.  Let's not forget Generation Z!
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dorsai wrote
We also need to consider future generations; for example, my son primarily communicates electronically via the poop emoji.  Let's not forget Generation Z!
That doesn't look like a "poop" emoji.  

(See, already a good use for the Laughing emoji.  Now, if I could just get it to insert in-line......)

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Gary Lewis wrote
Jim - I'm not picturing "foof".  Can you find an example and give me a link to it?
Maybe your problem is the .gif or .png extension?

FOOF is a very explosive compound.
It's also the sound gas makes when igniting...

I was thinking something like an exploding cigar or when Daffy demands that it's "Duck Season!" and gets his bill blown round and round his head.
-I did it to myself, and I should have known better-

The mind blown emoji is close but it has its own meaning.

U+1F92F

🤯
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is a test of the smiley code.  A buddy of mine in the UK gave me a code change that hopefully makes the smilies show up in-line rather than in the middle of the page all by themselves on a line.  Here goes:   Did that work?

Yippeeeeee!  It DID!

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
So what's the trick?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wish you'd said "Well, so what's the trick?".  Then I could have used my father's response of "That's a deep subject, don't fall in."  But, you didn't so I won't.  

Seriously though, you can read the nitty gritty details on the Nabble Support forum here.  But the short version is that there are many, many macros hidden behind the scenes on this forum.  And I can edit them via the "Edit this page" link at the bottom of the page.  One of those macros was being overridden by another macro I've installed that governs where and how pics are displayed.

Greg is another Nabble user, but he's a super-user and even has a Nabble help website of his own.  He dug into the guts of Nabble's forums and found the problem and devised a solution - and a solution that didn't mess with the positioning of all of our pics, which was my worry.  And he posted his findings and solution in the post linked to above.  Then I edited that macro on our forum and voilà, it works!

So now we can move on to the next phase of this effort knowing that they aren't in vain.  

Lay it on me!  What smilies do you folks want?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
As for other emoticons, I did some searching and found this statement in The Atlantic:

There are 54 emoji to represent different modes of transportation, ......But there is no pickup-truck emoji.

Now, that's speaking of our phones, etc.  But that doesn't mean there aren't ones elsewhere for pickups.  ...Now we just have to find ones that we want.  Hint, hint, hint....
I touched on this before, but it's the Unicode consortium...
They create the standard.
They decide what will be recognized by almost all devices.

There will be no trademarks (Ford oval)
There are almost no big pickups on Japan, where this stuff started.

This is why you don't see them.
But you can get png's like this:

https://www.stickpng.com/img/icons-logos-emojis/car-logos/car-logo-ford

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
I wish you'd said "Well, so what's the trick?".  Then I could have used my father's response of "That's a deep subject, don't fall in."  But, you didn't so I won't.
You think I'd fall for that?

Well, well, well, three holes in the ground.  

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I think our smilies have to be gifs, not pngs.  However, I can probably convert them.  The gifs allow for animation that I don't think pngs do.  Like the laughing smiley I added.

But we aren't using unicode.  So we aren't tied to that list.  Which means the sky is the limit.

Let me see what others I can dig up, but y'all suggest some as well, please.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I'm wrong.  The smilies can apparently be of many different formats.  So far I've just tried gif and png, and both work fine.

So what I've done is to add a 5th row of smilies at the bottom, and I did that by cloning the 4th row.  And now I'm working to add new POTENTIAL smilies.  Ones that I think may be of use.  Then when I get several in there we can discuss them.  Or maybe have a poll to see which ones you like and which you don't.

Meanwhile, please suggest some.  Or tell me you like or don't like some I've added.

Plus, tell me if the sizing is correct as I can change that as well.

Anyway, here where I am at present:

But, the first one is too small to be effective.  However, it really looks like this:

And the last one is also too small, but it looks like this:

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Well, since you're doing gif's can we get a slow clap??

Those first ones (vomiting, love struck, etc.. all came across as png in my edit window.

And apparently, I can enter any emoji directly in HTML code and it shows up.

So, Ford ovals away!
It's better than a bouncing buxom bikini bimbo
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Added a couple of ROTFL's, but the yellow/blue guy is too hard to see, so I like the rolling head better.  Thoughts?  Got a better one?

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim - Are you saying that all you are seeing is the name of the file?  Or what?

I'd really like a white background for the Ford oval, but haven't found it yet.  But this one is far better than one to which you refer.  

As for the slow-clapping one, I haven't found one yet that I think will work.  Basically all that I've found are like the Bronson one - they have to be large in order to know what they are.  Can someone give me a link to a good one that is easy to recognize at smiley size?