Molding retainer help

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Molding retainer help

delco1946
Hey folks - I have A molding retainer question. I am looking at the documentation exterior, molding retainers and exterior molding pages and I’m not sure if I am seeing the molding I have on my pick up truck. My upper molding on my doors is shiny metal. No black inset whatsoever, Which appears to be the only option on the above quoted pages in the documentation.

If I keep chugging along and make some assumptions that the graphics might not be completely accurate than that suggests my retainers might be KU and or KY for trim %16003. However when I googled those part numbers they look nothing like what I need.

Basically my body shop has my truck ready to be primed and painted so all the trim has been removed but in the small holes where the upper trim mounts are what appears to be small circular possibly rubber grommets of sorts. Some of those are missing and that is what they asked me to replace. Has anyone else encountered this? See the picture of what they’re asking me to buy more of.

Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Molding retainer help

delco1946
Here’s a before picture if that’s at all helpful of the molding I have.

Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by delco1946
The round rubber grommets are barrel retainers.   The studs on back of emblems slide into those.   Available locally usually.  There are different sizes and I have no idea what size they are.   If I knew I would have bought more for my truck.   My D falls off the hood if I close it too hard...  I would figure a body shop would have those.

I think stripes and graphics changed more often than we'd like to think about.  The stripe remnants under the crappy solid one color paint on mine doesn't seem to match what the Explorer package should have had.

Only really matters if you are going for a truly accurate resto.   Stripe ends are sometimes found in door jambs.   Metal trim is just researching and hopefully having a piece of old trim.   I have no idea how you'd find it.  

Good luck.

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
Not entirely clear on which ones they are needing in relation to the first photo.

The 3 bottom holes in the triangular pattern should be rivnuts for the early (your 81) mirror lower mount.

The line of pop rivets (for lack of a better term) for the non-pressure sensitive trim don't have any rubber grommets. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/114947534240?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28 (MACs Auto Parts 1970-1972 Ford Thunderbird Moulding Clip 66-71119-1)

As was mentioned, some trim pieces and the emblems use barrel nuts and these can be plastic or metal of varying sizes.
I  would clarify with the body shop exactly what is needed.

Hope that helps
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Thanks! Randy mentioned the magic words - barrel clips. The hole was 1/4 inch so I ordered some off eBay, as well as some 3/16 from broncogravyard to be safe.