Middle Tennessee Bullnose owner

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Middle Tennessee Bullnose owner

tdm3
Well, that subject isn't totally correct.  Actually going to pick up, the pickup, later today.  It's a very rough 1980 F100 with a 302 that has valve covers that definitely didn't come with it.  Appear to be stock covers from the 1990's.  Has a two barrel carburetor and with a quick glance appears to have a c4 or c5 transmission.  Transmission is junk.  Clangs badly in drive, but does motivate cleanly in reverse.  Towing it though, can't drive in reverse on the highway for 30 miles.  The engine runs nicely.  Has a slight miss at this point that I'm attributing to very aged plug wires.  It'll be interesting to see just what this thing is.  Lot's of entertainment for a $600 entry fee.

This is my second bullnose.  Had a 86 with a 6.9 smoker that I should have never sold.  This and the 1967-1971 F series trucks have always been my favorites.  When I was in high school the bullnose was the contemporary model F series.  Glad to have another one.  Pictures and more information to follow.

Oh, and I have a freshly rebuilt 289 that was destined for my wife's Fairlane that may end up in the truck.  We sold the car.  The engine has a 5 bolt block, but I happen to have a 5 bolt bellhousing and c-4 to fit.  We'll see.  Also have a line on a 429 and C6.  But the 302 seems healthy so...

And most importantly, Thanks for the site.

David
David
1980 F100, 302 2v, automatic transmission, long wheelbase, very patinated
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Middle Tennessee Bullnose owner

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome aboard, David, from another David!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by tdm3
Welcome!  Good to "meet" you.  

One of our many sayings is "pics or it didn't happen".  So, when you get the truck you might want to start a thread/topic in the main section about it, replete with many pics.

429/C6 vs 289/302/C4 is an interesting choice.  

So, where in "Middle TN"?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu and I'd be happy to add you if I knew the town.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
We are in the Cookeville area.
David
Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
In reply to this post by grumpin
Thanks for the welcomes.  Looking forward to gleaning the information here and hopefully will have some to add.

David
David
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cookeville.  Never heard of it.  Oh wait, the Starbucks is about 1 mile north of the interstate about half way between the two exits?  

Our daughter and family used to live in N'ville and our son and family lived in DE and/or VA.  So we know I-40 rather well.  Leave N'ville early in the morning, stop in Cookeville for coffee & pastries, and keep on keeping on.

Anyway, you are literally on the map.

But, a suggestion: You told us your name is David, but at my antiquated age of 72 that won't stick for long.  How 'bout placing that info in your sig?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
You are right about the Starbucks but the Dunkin Doughnuts has better coffee, at least my wife thinks so and she's the expert of the family when it comes to that. I'm on I40 way more than I care for.

Back to engines, in addition to the current 302, the rebuilt 289, the 429 line I also have a rebuildable 351w and two, yes count them two, 221's, the original small block Ford.  If they had a different tranmission attached than the aluminum ford-o-matic 2 speeds i might press one of them into service just for giggles.  But probably not...maybe...nah.

David
David
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Coffee tasting is a personal choice.  But, it has been said that I'm a coffee snob.  I've had coffee in supposedly the original European coffee house in Vienna, Austria.  I've had Greek coffee in Athens, Greece.  I've had Turkish coffee in Istanbul.  I've had Espresso in Rome where it was supposedly invented.  And I've been to two coffee plantations in Nicaragua and have seen it not only grown but roasted and brewed right on the grounds.  (Pun intended.  )  But, I brew Starbucks every day.  To me that's COFFEE!

Anyway, back to engines.  You do have a lot of choices.  But you are missing two great Ford engines - the 300 six and the 400.

In my opinion, if you are just going to cruise with the truck you'd be hard pressed to do better than either the 289 or the 302.  But if you are going to work it and still want a bit of economy then the 351W would be my choice.  Or the 300 six.

Note that I didn't include the 429 or 460.  I have a 460 and it is a brute.  But it is THIRSTY!  So unless the truck is going to see a LOT of work, I'd go with something else.

Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
Now the title is correct and just to show that it happened here's a horrible picture.  More to come later in a different thread. She's a beaut.  No fellows, keep your money in your pocket, she's not for sale.

The 'new' truck
David
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Teaser photo!
Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
I get beyond the tease here:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/We-ll-call-her-Rahab-tp38045.html
David
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Welcome to the group! I like the truck. It’s not shiny but looks straight and I love the 80/81’s.🙂
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
Welcome to the boards.

Funnily enough I am originally from Crossville.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

tdm3
That's close!  it's a nice part of the world.
David
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G

tdm3 wrote
That's close!  it's a nice part of the world.
I miss it, that's for sure
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
David. Welcome. I am up in Kentucky. Not too far from you. Ive got an 87 fuel injected 302/c6 bronco I might part out. It need to be gone theough. But if you are interested, the price would be right.

Ive got a 300I6 and 4 speed 4x4 flareside. Ive thought about do a swap, but I just cannot bring myself to remove the 300. Im a 300 fan.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed