Melted battery terminal??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Melted battery terminal??

fr0bert
Hi guys, strange little issue this morning! This is my 1st summer in Richmond and its getting up to 92° right now but I wasn't expecting this...

So I was out running a few errands this morning in the truck and on my last couple of stops the truck was kind of starting hard but eventually turning over. Then when I got home I shut her off and I tried her once more while filming, she struggled then sounds like she completely died... Video here...

https://youtu.be/DaS8zKV90vw

Now when I turn the key she doesn't make a peep...

https://youtu.be/1rzhZ34XMxQ

The battery when I first turn the key is still reading a hair under 12v which is normally enough to turn her over

So I'm thinking bad starter or alternator??

But then when I popped the hood I spotted this on the negative terminal and it kinda freaked me out, what should I do here??

Any advice would be much appreciated guys!

Thanks.

Rob.
Rob. '86 F150 XLT Lariat 351w 4x4 Edelbrock 1406
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Melted battery terminal??

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You had/have a very bad battery cable connection.  It was dropping enough voltage to get so hot it melted.  You have to replace either the terminal itself and shorten the wire as it is surely fried right there, or better yet replace the whole cable.

That kind of connection is a problem waiting to happen as things are open to the atmosphere and, therefore, corrosion.  I'd get a new cable with all crimped connectors.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

fr0bert
"Had" is definitely more accurate Gary! 😂
Thanks for the quick response, should I just go ahead and do the positive cable while I'm at it?

Wouldn't you know the wife's Audi is in the shop getting AC fixed... Looks like I'm bicycling to autozone in the heat... 😁
Rob. '86 F150 XLT Lariat 351w 4x4 Edelbrock 1406
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Depends on what the positive cable looks like.  But it never hurts to put new cables on.

And, you may be able to resurrect that connection long enough to drive it to Autozone.  If there's enough wire that you can cut off the bad wire and put it under the clamp you can probably drive it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by fr0bert
My suggestion, if you want a quick connection at the battery end is to get a marine adapter end, it clamps around the post then has either a 5/16" or 3/8" stud that you use a lug ended cable on. I did something similar on my project vehicle, a 1986 Chrysler Lebaron convertible that the electrical system is upgraded from the fusible links to maxi fuses in a 1996 Stratus PDC.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I don't want you to take it wrong, but my advice  is to never use the clamp on terminals! Either replace the cable, or use solder on terminals to repair the cables, if they're long enough.
Those things are crap, and I've seen too many failures over the years.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
I am with myrl883, those battrey clamps are a piece of junk that are only ment to be used lomg enough to get off the side of the road and buy some new cables when you get home. Do your self a big favor, replace both cables and know in your heart that you are good to go.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
3rd, 4th, whatever...
Emergency battery terminals are just that.
Handy it the way a doughnut spare is.
Use it to get you home, or to the shop the next day.
They are wholely inadequate as part of a charge and start system (long term)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by old55pete
old55pete wrote
I am with myrl883, those battrey clamps are a piece of junk that are only ment to be used lomg enough to get off the side of the road and buy some new cables when you get home. Do your self a big favor, replace both cables and know in your heart that you are good to go.
Why only 2 cables when the truck has 3 cables.
You can not know by looking at them if they are good or bad so just replace them with the largest cables you can get at AZ.

I know by me they have curb side pick up, could order and ride there and not even need to stop LOL.
They do have on line "ship to home" but may take a day or 2.
I ordered the AC parts for my truck and some were shipped next day and others, hoses, 2 days later.

On my projects they get new cables and never had any problems.
Heck my Javelin project I don't tighten 1 down as I pull it when sitting in the garage. I just place it on the battery and the car starts right up.
I did the same to my truck till I got it on the road.
Good cables are a god send!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Good point Dave. When I started the revival of my Bronco this winter, I did in fact change all three because I couldent remember the last time they were changed.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

Sac79
In reply to this post by fr0bert
fr0bert wrote
Wouldn't you know the wife's Audi is in the shop getting AC fixed... Looks like I'm bicycling to autozone in the heat... 😁
Ouch! To both... Cycling in the heat sounds like a terrible idea! How did it go? And Audi in the shop for AC sounds even worse, hopefully not at the dealer's shop...
Rob

Eddy Myrtle '84 F150 300-6, Offenhauser C series intake, Edelbrock 1404(500cfm manual choke), EFI exhaust manifold, HEI dizzy, custom Painless harness, NP 435, NP 208, D44, 8.8"/3.08, 1.5" leveling coils, 265/75/16 tires.
Toyopet (Daily driver) '86 Toyota Pickup
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
We use the marine terminals at work.  Work great for attaching extra circuits that need battery connections.

For my truck how ever, I am looking at possibly going with these military style terminals.  They are like marine terminals but they use a through and through bolt for the attachment and they are more low profile.  They also can be exchanged for a longer bolt if you need for more larger gauge wire attachments.

I think it would work better for me especially if I decide to go with a PMGR starter I can relocate the battery cable from starter from the solenoid to the battery itself.  It also will allow for a larger gauge wire for my auxiliary fuse/relay box and for my sniper battery hot/ground attachments.

Me personally I am not crazy about the look but I rather go with this over clamp cable ends and I rather go this route as it allows easy addition of extra circuits if needed later on.

https://www.wiringdepot.com/ordnance-/-military-bolt-type-battery-terminals.aspx
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2