Mechanical Fuel Pump attachment to 1986 F150 4.9L

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mechanical Fuel Pump attachment to 1986 F150 4.9L

86F150CA
I guess it has been awhile since I used the forum.  I have a question about Fuel Pump bolts / studs for my 1986 F150 4.9L truck.  Not sure if this would go to new topics or add to the Fuel Pump threads.

I finally removed my mechanical fuel pump.  It was attached with studs (32 threads X 2 inches X 5/16), however the exposed end of the right one was damaged. So the whole stud came out after I got the left side disconnected. The left stud nut came off to free the coil bracket and there was a second nut holding the fuel pump. When I took it out the stud came also.

So, my question is: Are studs the normal way to attach a fuel pump on this model?  I would have expected bolts.  If bolts, how long and do I just leave them loose while I slide the coil support into position and then tighten the bolts? My first instinct.  Or should I find replacement studs and tighten the nuts to hold the fuel pump and put a second set of nuts to hold the coil support?  And finally, should I use some type of Loctite to help hold the studs in the block without making it impossible to remove?  I think I have more than one question.

Mike
1986 F150; 4.9L; 4 speed Manual;Feedback Carb; California Emissions (EEC-IV/TFI-IV)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mechanical Fuel Pump attachment to 1986 F150 4.9L

FuzzFace2
I dont remember what my truck, 81 F100 with a later motor, has when I swapped the pump out 5 years ago.

Being the threads are 32 that must be fine threads as 16 is the other.
With that said I have not seen threaded rod in fine thread so that leaves you with reuse what you got or bolts.

Take something that will fit in the bolt holes and see if they go all the way thru, I think they do.
This way you will know if the bolts are a little longer they will not bottom out before tight.
Then get bolts and lock washers the thread size as the holes.
Just make sure you have enough threads to get a good bite in the block as you dont want to strip out them holes.
I think you are over thinking this, just bolt the pump back on.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
5/16 - 24 is UNF Dave.
32TPI isn't anything we're going to find in an engine block or fuel pump.  

While I'm not too familiar with mechanical fuel pumps on a 300, on the V-8 engines the bolts are your typical National Coarse.

It may be a big challenge to get the bracket in on top of the fuel pump while holding the arm up against the cam.
I could kind of understand using studs in that case as everything could hang there (akin to trying to get the intake, gasket and exhaust manifolds in place on the other side of the engine)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by 86F150CA
My 84 has studs. The studs are also used to mount the E-core ignition coil. This allows the coil bracket to come off without breaking the fuel pump gasket.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
My 85 also had studs.  Both came out when I pulled the engine apart, and went back in when I reassembled it.  Seems like mine was a stud with a hex made onto them about midway through the length, then used a nut on the top for the coil.
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

86F150CA
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
This is embarassing.  I am pretty sure the hardware guy said 5/16 inch and 22 threads per inch.  Then, apparently I typed 32 TPI.  I went back and measured it myself and found it is actually 18 TPI and 5/16 diameter, same on both ends.

The studs are the correct solution - Thank you to all who confirmed this - but mine have damaged threads so I am guessing my next stop is Pick-N-Pull, unless someone knows who might sell new ones.

I will try to attach a photo of the studs in case it might be useful to someone.

Thanks again to all.

Fuel Pump studs from 1986 F150 4.L

1986 F150; 4.9L; 4 speed Manual;Feedback Carb; California Emissions (EEC-IV/TFI-IV)