May need an intake on the cheap

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

May need an intake on the cheap

86 1/2 Brutus

I had to order another exhaust manifold, now it looks like i might need an intake.  a bolt broke off and when tried to drill and put an easy out, the easy out broke.  my friend suggestid i put it on a drill press.  I duno.  I do have  a friend at a machine shop, i'm going ot talk to him tomorrow.

but just to get my ducks in a row.  I'm looking for an intake on the cheap.  If anybody out there has one they'd like to sell, please let me know.

thanks

George
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: May need an intake on the cheap

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
.Not quite as hard as a broken tap, but I don't think you will ever drill it out

If you have the manifold in hand you can have the Ez-Out EDM'd away or perhaps a welder can weld through a nut, so you have purchase to back the broken bolt out..
The extreme heat of welding often vaporizes the corrosion locking it in place.

If all is lost are you looking for a stock intake?
Offy-C, Clifford???
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
yes just a stock intake.  i'm going to talk to a welder today
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Jim.  I just bought one off ebay, from the same seller as the exhaust manifold.  I decided screw it, better just buy new.  Brutus is going to be our daily driver and i need him right.
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sometimes that's a lot easier (and cheaper in the long run) than running around trying to find a competent shop that isn't booked months in advance.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
Yea not only that Jim, there is a kind of sense of urgency here.  our daily driver, a 95 crown vic.  Needs so much front end work is getting dangerous to drive and isnt worth ( right now ) investing the money.  it needs to be parked.  All this stuff keeps coming up with Brutus, but to be honest, i cant complain, Brutus is old and he's been a good truck
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
i do need to know this, if you know.  the 3 bolts that connect the intake and the exhaust manifolds.  is there anything special about them or can i just get grade 8 bolts from the hardware store
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 86 1/2 Brutus
My truck is a combination of your Vic and your F.
Not necessarily the positive parts......

No need for grade-8.
In fact the higher carbon and extreme work hardening tend to make a bolt that's more likely to rust, and deeper rust than normal.

The stress is not great.
You would probably be better off with grade 5.

I use stainless bolts on my exhaust manifolds (yes, I know this is the heated floor between manifolds)
So happy to have no corrosion and fully formed heads for wrenching on.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
I'm thinking the same thing
Nick and George
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My exhaust manifold bolts do not look like most chunky blobs of rust here in the salty northeast.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I would go normal bolts coated with never seize.
Why didn't you go with the EFI manifolds?
Yes the hard part would be coming up with or making the hot water plate to heat the intake manifold.
I found mine on Ebay and think it works great.
Oh and the choke just wrap copper tubing around a tube to pick up heat, yep did that way also and works great.

Good luck on your fix
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
antiseize is pretty much a given in my book when it comes to exhaust bolts.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Copper plated exhaust bolts when I'm dealing with a turbo.
No anti-seize is going to put up with that kind of heat.

But I've found my stainless bolts are fine.
It's only like 35 lbft on a 3/8-16 bolt.
 Jim,