Mass Air Flow ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Mass Air Flow ?

blackdog
Still havent pulled my engine, but I have been poking around looking at what I might do with it. Has anyone switched to MAF? I don't see any reason to do it other than to make the engine wiring easier, as Painless wiring offers EFI harnesses that would require that I run MAF. Also, edelbrock offers a cam kit that is designed for MAF applications (as well as ones that are not). Any pros other than making the wiring harness rebuild easier? I will do some research elsewhere but wanted to hear what yall had to say first. Thanks in advance for any input.
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Mass Air Flow ?

85lebaront2
Administrator
I did when I went to EFI from carbureted. The MAF systems Ford builds are all SEFI (Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection). One of the reasons I did, the 460s are bad about damaging #5 piston on the speed density systems. Ford went to MAF/SEFI in 1994 on the 302, 1995 on the 351 in the trucks. 460 engines, some went MAF/SEFI in California, but not all.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by blackdog
I don't really have any experience here.  And, like Bill, I'm jumping from a carb to an EEC-V system with MAF & SEFI.  But, I've done a fair amount of reading and most of that says that an EEC-IV Speed Density system with bank fire does almost as well as a MAF/SEFI system if everything is close to stock.  It is only when you change something(s) enough that the air flow through the engine isn't what the computer expects that you run into problems.  And that can include a radical cam, headers, or a significant upgrade in the heads.

So, if you are staying fairly stock then I doubt there would be enough benefit to a MAF/SEFI system to warrant the change.  But if you are doing a significant upgrade then maybe it would help.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Notch5oh
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Switching to a later (89-93) Fox 5.0 efi would open you up to an entire new world of mods and tuning capability.

If your turck runs well, and you just want some basic changes like headers and intake I don't see it being worth the hassle and expense to switch.

Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
well...i have been looking at some cams, maybe not radical, but i did also want to put some shorty headers and port the heads that i already have. as for changing efi to an 89-93, that might be worth looking into for me, but id like to use the efi i already have if i could. This is starting to sound like switching MAF and EEC V would be beneficial in more ways than simplifying my wiring needs: I would like to get a little more "mmpf" out of my truck, but I want a mild cam that adds a little torque and sounds nice. Edelbrock 2112 and 2221 are the two I've had an eye on for a couple weeks after seeing another member mention that he installed the former and liked his results. I'll have to look more into EEC V and MAF and what those would entail as far as intall and cost. Thanks for the replies, you three! Cheers
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

blackdog
I just really dont like looking at the wiring in the engine as is, and repairing the harness seems like more of a hassle than buying a fresh harness that would require an upgrade to MAF and EEC V, plus my plans for the engine are an open book right now as i still havent finished the transmission, so the engine hasnt even been pulled yet (plus i still cant disconnect one of the two fuel lines under the hood. that bugger is locked on. tried kroil...still tight as ever).
86 5.0 AOD 2WD flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
EFI is a deep subject.  An EEC-IV system is Speed Density and bases everything it does on what it thinks it knows about the engine.  And if you stay within it's "kin" then it works really well.  But get outside of that an it runs poorly.  I don't know how much you can push the limits before getting outside the box.  Perhaps calling Edelbrock would help?  Maybe they can tell you if those cams will work with SD?

Then there's the leap to MAF, SEFI, and EEC-V.  That's a big step, and the wiring is even more complex.  So if you don't like the wiring now, ....

Perhaps you want to go with a throttle body system.  Edelbrock, and many others, sell systems that learn quite well and accommodate whatever mods you throw at them.  Most aren't port injection, but they are simple and work nicely.  Maybe they are the middle-of-the-road that you are looking for?  Simple wiring but adaptable?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI