Map Pockets

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Map Pockets

Danny G
Looks like there are two options out there, hard plastic, and cloth. Anyone used either of these? How was the fit, did it crowd the cabin?

1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Map Pockets

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The hard plastic ones in your pic look very similar to the originals.  But the carpet ones don't.  I've included a pic from the 1985 brochure of what the originals looked like.  And I like the look of the original better than the new carpet ones.

I've had both.  The plastic ones hold a lot more than the carpet ones.  But, being plastic, they can be noisy as things in them bounce and rattle.  However, they don't seem to get in the way or crowd things.

The original plastic ones were a bit brittle, or maybe I should say they are by now.  And if you don't get your foot out of the way when closing the door you can crack them.  The least strong spot is right along the top inner edge, which is about where they hit your foot or leg.  I've repaired and reinforced them by gluing a strip of metal laid on its side in that top edge, and it really helped.

The original carpet ones will hold a pair of gloves or two, a few sheets of paper, or maybe a small book.  And they have elastic in them so they go back flat when things are taken out.  But they aren't nearly as useful as the plastic ones.  I could see placing your lunch in a plastic one and pulling it out as you drive.  Not sure that would work with the carpet ones.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
great intel. Mine had "leather" ones kind of like the carpeted ones that was backed with ply wood. Not sure where the PO got them but they half rotted and didn't look great.

I think I will be picking up a pair of these plastic ones then. I am at the point of reassembling doors (if I can get off weekend duty).
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The second "cloth" set looks to be a poor representation of the 87-91 map pockets for the bricknose trucks. I'm running a set of the originals on my truck, but there is less room on these than the older plastic ones.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Check out the upper lip on them and see if you think they should be reinforced.  Lots easier to do before they break.

I considered lining the plastic ones with something soft to quieten them a bit, but never settled on what that would be, so didn't.  But some of them had carpet glued to the inset on the outside, and that surely helped to tone them down some.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
These are '87-91s, but they fit '80-91:

I had some original (JY) hard pockets in my truck for a long time, and never broke the edge - only a few of the top tabs (probably from the weight I kept in them).  I haven't seen them in years, though; I guess I sold them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
is that a speaker hole or a vent?
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
This post was updated on .
I did a quick write up on DashTop's version, similar to the first option you have pictured.

They've held up pretty well to my youngest girl's feet and friends getting in and out, using them as a kick panel.   It's critical to strengthen them.  I used steel roundbar on one and aluminum flatbar on the other.  Both have held up equally.  

Keep in mind at least some of the aftermarket options don't have the back panel against the door, so whatever you place in there will sit against the lower door skin and rattle if it's not something soft.  I would call LMC to ensure their offering matches the pic with how it seems to show a back panel.

Here's the link to the page

Here's a couple of pics to show the distance out from the door on the originals (unlike Steve's, mine were in very bad shape although I tried to salvage them, they completely cracked through).  There's no real issue there.  In fact, there's been a few times my girl's notebook has slid across the seat and landed squarely into the pocket.

For what I use them for, I'd probably go for the carpeted style with the elastic pockets next time.

Original Ford Hard Pockets

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
TheScatch wrote
is that a speaker hole or a vent?
Vent.  Later doors have louvers stamped into the inner door skin there, and a plastic 1-way valve (1520892) inside the door held on by 4 phillips-looking push-rivets.

I'm not sure when the louvers appeared.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Steve, was that to reduce the "cushion " effect when the windows and vents were closed, discouraging a full latch when closing the door?
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
That, and to allow free-flow cab ventilation while driving.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
This is slowly being coming my pet peeve . I’ve gotten in the habit of opening my vent window before closing the door just to avoid having to slam it shut a couple of times. I guess I’m impressed that it’s still the air tight after all these years....
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This would be more secure: