Manual trans stuck 3rd/4th gear - NP435 trans

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Manual trans stuck 3rd/4th gear - NP435 trans

Windbane
My 86 f150 stalled out and now it seems the trans will only shift into 1st, 2nd, rev gear, unable to shift into 3rd, or 4th gear. From what I've read the 3rd/4th fork probably needs to be replaced. The question is, should I still be able to start the truck? Or do you think the clutch is burned out? I was able to roll the truck back 3ft to see if it could unstick itself, but all I accomplished was jamming it up against a snow bank. I can't work on it where it currently is, need to get it in the garage....

1986 F-150 4x4 302efi standard cab 4 spd manual trans , has seen some things and looks like it too
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Manual trans stuck 3rd/4th gear - NP435 trans

mat in tn
does it grind when attempting to use those gears?
Reply | Threaded
|

Windbane
I can't restart the truck to check. I can't get the shifter to engage 3rd or 4th. It's like it's jammed mid shift between 3rd and 4th, and I was only in 1st when it happened.
1986 F-150 4x4 302efi standard cab 4 spd manual trans , has seen some things and looks like it too
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
and you can't start it by holding in the clutch? that sounds like other issues
Reply | Threaded
|

Windbane
No, it won't start. Battery is charged and I can hear the starter engaging. Also , I can shift gears without pressing the clutch pedal...
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it sounds like clutch failure to me. mechanical not burned.
and you can hear the starter engage? that would normally be a click with a humm if the engine/trans were stuck. no hmm might mean no load, as in you are hearing the solenoid only.