Main Electrical Engine Harness 85 F250

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Main Electrical Engine Harness 85 F250

Dean_L
After an unfortunate fire this year, I have been putting my 85 F250 (7.5L) back together.  I pulled a harness from another 85 F250, but I can not figure where this part of the harness plugs into.  My truck has a build date of Sept 84 and the donor vehicle was Nov 84, so they should be the same

Dean L
Coarsegold, Ca

Early Build (Sept 1984)
1985 F250, 4x4, 460, Red Standard Cab, Duel Tank
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Main Electrical Engine Harness 85 F250

FuzzFace2
Maybe not
Sept if early could be 84 as this is when new models came out/
Nov would be a 85model year.
I have a 11/80 that makes it an 81 year truck as the wiring I have looked up also matches it.

What color are the wires and from what month truck?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, give us the wire colors.  Or, better yet, you may be able to figure it out.  Go to Documentation/Electrical/Standard Wire & Color Codes.  That document gives the color codes and circuits Ford used.

Download the one that has been OCR'd and search for the wire colors, making sure to use the proper abbreviations shown at the first of the document.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dean_L
This post was updated on .
The two single wire connectors are Red with White dash, maybe red with yell dash.  Hard to tell

The two prong connector has two red with white (or yell) dash wires and one brown with white (or Yell) dash.

looking at the OCRD, I could not find red with white dash, but red with white stripe is temp gauge to temp sending unit.  I have the single wire temp sending unit in the manifold so this could not be it.  Are there other temp sending units besides the one at the manifold?

For brown with white strip, it could be "thermostat switch feed" but I cant find this on the 1985 Wiring diagram or in my 190-1989 Truck Parts Master Catalog for 7.5L

Thoughts??

I traced the wires, here is an image of where they go into the firewall

wire at firewall
Dean L
Coarsegold, Ca

Early Build (Sept 1984)
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Does your truck have the "hot fuel handling package" If so that is likely part of it. Be sure you have the correct diagram if you do, Ford changed it 3 times I think between 1984 and 1986.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Dean_L
Im using the diagram that is posted for 1985 here.  I cant find another diagram.  I do suspect there are variances from the early model Sept-Nov 84 built 85's compared to the late model 85's.

I feel I must have had this on the truck before the fire.  As you can see from the photos, this is plugged into a harness coming from the firewall.  I just dont see where it should have gone.  I should have paid a little closer attention when I got the harness from the donor vehicle.

Im not sure if I have the 'hot fuel handling package'   in 25yrs of owning this truck I have not come across this.
Dean L
Coarsegold, Ca

Early Build (Sept 1984)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dean_L
I'm confused as to what the actual question is.  But let me see if I can help.

Your sig doesn't say, but I'm guessing that you have dual tanks if you have a 460.  If so, I think the diagram you want is the one below, although I don't know what an OCRD is, this one is from the 1985 EVTM.

Note that connector C325 has a red/yellow hash wire in it, and if you go on down a page or two it says it is near the ignition module.  But also note that there's a red/yellow hash wire going off to Page 52.

And here's Pg 52, which also shows several other connectors with red/yellow hash wires that are applicable to the 7.5L.  Are you trying to figure out which connector that is?  Or do you have a problem?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dean_L
Thanks Gary,

Im trying to find what the connector goes to.  Memories fade,  since I replaced my intake and carb with an Edelbrock 20 years ago, Im guessing I just wither cut off or left these disconnected on my wiring harness.  Looks like the red/yell hash and tan/white plug goes to the decel throttle kicker and the two red/yel hash coming off that wiring goes to the fuel vent solenoids.  I dont have any of these on my truck anymore.

So Ill just leave be for now.

Thanks
Dean L
Coarsegold, Ca

Early Build (Sept 1984)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Not sure I'd cut them off just yet.  Wait until you get everything going and then make the call.

But what are you powering the electric choke with, assuming you have one?  One of the red/yellow wires is better than some approaches.  The better approach is the get the same wire but after it has passed through the oil pressure switch.  That way your choke only runs if the engine is running.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dean_L
Ill keep it in tack for now.  Good idea for the electric choke.  When I swapped to the Edelbrock Performer Series carb 20 years ago I went with a Manual choke.  I found it started alot easier when I could manually control the choke.
Dean L
Coarsegold, Ca

Early Build (Sept 1984)