classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
55 messages Options
ETM
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lucky 81' F100

ETM
Hello, I have been posting on an off here as there are so many people with much more knowledge about these trucks, I have been learning so much, and reading everything that I can. My Truck As I’ve Described before
Current:
One 1981 Ford F100 Long Bed 2wd
-300 i6
-Power Steering
-Manual Brakes
-Manual Clutch
-3 On the Tree
-As an AM radio but put in a newer radio with Bluetooth
-Added a 12inch Kicker Sub and some cheap 5.5inch speaks of amazon.
-Some old Chrome wheels, and newish tire looking good

Other then that just been driving the truck. It has been a Great Daily 40km a day

History:
I Bought this Truck from the Original Owner, He is one of my mother clients that was looking to sell it and wanted it to go to a good home. He has kept good care of the truck over the year’s (36 years), He bought it in Feb 1982 (Extended Warranty card tells me this). The Truck has as a different 300 swapped in as he ran the old motor low on oil and it went, on the clutch and trans I have bills from 2012 that he had the trans and rear in oils changed. The truck is on a newer frame as here in Ontario the Rust Ate them all, like the Bed being a newer OBS bed not sure on year (Looking for a bull bed but not much in my area). The truck was Farm Freshened up some time in the early 2000’s. New paint and fenders and i think bed. I date this from the shop that did it has been closed for years.

Future?

Not sure what it will bring want to swap in an Overdrive transmission but don't want to change to a hydro clutch. Have an t19 4spd with T-case, made me want to see about 4x4 swapping it, would need to find a front axles, no point in keeping the Dream beams. Other Ideas have been to LS swap it to an 4.8l Gen 3 with an 4L80 2wd, Would get all of this out of a ¾ chevy work van. Really want to tow more with this truck but being an F100 it really isn't great at it. I do get to keep it original, But changing some small thing to make it an better drive is nice like my radio.

Thanks for Reading what some stuff that I will be doing to continue post.

Picture from the Day I got it from the First Owner

Man did those boards look off but if I was his age I guess that I would need them

Hauling my Quad and other stuff around the Farm.

Eric 1981 F100 - 300 I6 - M5OD Swap 2003 G35 Drift Sedan 6mt RWD - Ricer @OnlyETM Ontario, Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lucky 81' F100

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nice looking truck!  But I'm glad you ditched the boards.  

You can go to 4wd pretty easily, but with the manual brakes you probably have the 4 1/2" bolt circle wheels, and all the 4wd front axles will be 5 1/2" bolt circle.  So you'd either have to carry two spares, or change out the rear axle at the same time.

So, I suggest you find a rusted-out F150 with 4wd and use those parts, meaning the front axle/suspension and rear axle, plus transmission and transfer case, to convert yours to 4wd.  That will bring the power brakes as well, and when you are done you can then tow more.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
Gary Lewis wrote

You can go to 4wd pretty easily, but with the manual brakes you probably have the 4 1/2" bolt circle wheels, and all the 4wd front axles will be 5 1/2" bolt circle.  So you'd either have to carry two spares, or change out the rear axle at the same time.

So, I suggest you find a rusted-out F150 with 4wd and use those parts, meaning the front axle/suspension and rear axle, plus transmission and transfer case, to convert yours to 4wd.  That will bring the power brakes as well, and when you are done you can then tow more.
Glad as well, I'm fairly tall and it was hard to get in an out of with those kept hitting my shin off them.
As well

My truck has the 5 1/2" bolt pattern as I have the Higher GCVWR then the Standard F100 , Which is nice an will save me some $$$ being in canada there isn't much for 78-7 f150 4x4's would prefer to go solid axle over TTB but I guess I can take what I can Find. Have an T19 from my F250 that I could stab in it look like the bell housing bolt are the same.

Seen a couple of new fords I thought of doing an Chassis swap as they had 300 with and 5spd 4x4 but that is all in time. Just need to contuine to put more miles on this old truck, Can't wait to show the old owner the new wheel. He is really happy when he see's this old truck and who I've cleaned it up since he has owned it. but 30yrs vs 1yr with an young buck driving it.
Eric 1981 F100 - 300 I6 - M5OD Swap 2003 G35 Drift Sedan 6mt RWD - Ricer @OnlyETM Ontario, Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote

Gary, what I found between my 2 81 F100's / 4700 lb and the wheel pattern is the power brake truck had the 5x4.5 and the non-power had the 5x5.5 pattern.

If he was to swap to a power setup from a parts truck, along with the 4x4 parts, he would also need the pedal assy. as the point where the linkage hooks up is in different place between the 2 systems.

I know as I did this, took the power booster / master & pedals and installed them to the non-power truck.
In my checking before this swap the rear wheel cly. are the same size and used the same part numbers. The front calipers have the same size pistons but different part numbers and will not interchange between the 2 systems, yep I tried but for a different reason.

The other thing to note is the kingpin sizes. I found the 5x5.5 wheels use the larger pins of the 2 size pins offered.

I think if you did the T18 / T19 swap so you have the granny low it would get the heavy loads moving better than the 3 on the tree.
Advance Adaptors makes a range splitter over drive unit that fits between bell housing & trany, can be used in 4x4 mode. You can then split all the gears to keep that 300 in the sweet RPM spot.

Gear Venders makes an over drive unit that fits off the back of the trany, cant be used with in 4x4 mode, but I hear you cant split all the gears below 30 MPH and others say you can but have to over ride the system?

The 300 six is not a power house and speed together.
Bigger and heaver trucks used the 300 motor and did the jobs just not fast!
Dave ----

BTW I have a 300 & T18 in my 81 F100 flare side and when finished will be a back up to pull my car trailer when needed. I also want to install the AA range splitter one day.
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by ETM
ETM wrote
Not sure what it will bring want to swap in an Overdrive transmission but don't want to change to a hydro clutch.
Greetings from the Maritimes. I swapped my 3-on-the-tree truck to a 5spd manual from a 1991, and man I couldn't be happier...it is by far my favorite Bullnose mod/swap of them all. BUT...it requires the hydro clutch you don't want.

In case you ever do look into it, I can tell you there are a couple things that make the swap nice. The 3spd and the M5OD 5spd are only about 3/8" difference in the lengths, so your existing driveshaft will work, and your existing speedo cable will work. My truck being an '84 was a factory hydraulic clutch model, but it is an easy thing to swap in (Yes, I know you don't want it...lol, just FYI).

The 3spd trucks had a solid cab floor, so any swap to a floor shift will require cutting out the the hole for the tunnel cover. It's all stamped there...so all you need to do is follow the lines.

In any case, good luck with it.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
Rembrant wrote
My truck being an '84 was a factory hydraulic clutch model, but it is an easy thing to swap in (Yes, I know you don't want it...lol, just FYI).

The 3spd trucks had a solid cab floor, so any swap to a floor shift will require cutting out the the hole for the tunnel cover. It's all stamped there...so all you need to do is follow the lines.

Thank's Need all the Luck I can have, Nothing against an Hydro Clutch it is just my fire wall doesn't have the holes to mount the master for it guess you can drill them out. Thinking I may want to keep the my extra pedal box that is for power brakes and hydro clutch, I'll move it to my shed for later. All great Ideas, just wish there where more obs trucks in my area. lol would newer pedals work in this older truck.

FuzzFace2 wrote
I know as I did this, took the power booster / master & pedals and installed them to the non-power truck.
In my checking before this swap the rear wheel cly. are the same size and used the same part numbers. The front calipers have the same size pistons but different part numbers and will not interchange between the 2 systems, yep I tried but for a different reason.
Oh no, but I guess I'm having some trouble with my one caliper sticking a bit and cant seem to find the leak lol. more reasons to upgrade I guess
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Brakes are something I don't go cheap on .... well mostly.

If 1 caliper is sticking the other will most likely down the road so I would replace them both, new pads and turn the rotors or new.
Out back new wheel cly. & shoes maybe a spring kit.
Replace all the rubber hoses, 2 front 1 out back.

Now you said something about a leak?
Is the master loosing fluid and if so is it from the one close to the booster of fire wall?
Fluid can leak into the booster to the point it is full and gets sucked into the motor and makes a smoke cloud! If no booster it can leak down the firewall on the inside and the padding / rug soak it up. Pull the pad / rug back and check if non-power breaks.

My "well mostly" I used the master & booster from my parts truck. Was being used till the owner put it on it's roof, so I was thinking it had to be good ......... WRONG!
The booster leaks vacuum when brake pedal is pressed and the master will sink if you have your foot just resting on the pedal. It is ok for me to move in / out of garage but will be replaced then everything on mine will be new.
Dave ----
Dave G.
ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Rembrant wrote
In case you ever do look into it, I can tell you there are a couple things that make the swap nice. The 3spd and the M5OD 5spd are only about 3/8" difference in the lengths, so your existing driveshaft will work, and your existing speedo cable will work. My truck being an '84 was a factory hydraulic clutch model, but it is an easy thing to swap in (Yes, I know you don't want it...lol, just FYI).

Thinking of the M5od Swap more and more. Just having issues finding one may make an post on Kijij looking for one and see what happens, I do have an close Ratio T19 but it is 4x4 and I really like to keep the truck 2wd. Went for an Drive with the old owner. He was really happy and likes my ideas. Really liked the new Wheels. My buyer for the Pedals backed out so thinking on keeping them so If I find the M5od It can install it.  
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
You Sir are a God among men when it comes to Ebay finds, being in Canada most wont ship to me and they are a little high in price. Will post up the parts off my F250 and see if I can do some local digging and find something closer. Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
<quote author="ETM">
1986F150Six wrote
You Sir are a God among men when it comes to Ebay finds, being in Canada most wont ship to me and they are a little high in price. Will post up the parts off my F250 and see if I can do some local digging and find something closer. Thanks
Thank you, Sir, for the kind compliment, but there is but one true God and I am not he. He did, however, bless me with a good memory and a desire to help others.

Good luck with your search!
ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
Good Morning,

Getting around to posting this today, Have been really thinking of the 5 speed swap the M5od, but think I'm going to leave it how it is Farm fresh stock ish. On that note the OG owner gave me some paint turned out it was the rear bumper paint. So When out an Wire wheeled the hole bumper down until the wheel called it quits, thought that looks good enff for me, so sent it with some paint and it looks pretty good.

No Bumper looks weird

Started working on it.

Finished Product looks pretty good. Pulled the tailgate and made it more straight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good!  And if there's nothing wrong with the existing tranny there's no good reason to change it.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
Which is true, Want to do so much but it is mostly original. My old man talked my out of messing with it. But it would help the Drive-ably. The OG owner thinks it's cool. So at an lost on doing it put my car on the road to drive as I don't car about messing with it.
ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
Small little Update.

Stopped and has a Visit with one of my Mothers Friends and her husband is a big ford guy (like's pre 80's :( has 43 coupe, 55 truck, and 73 f250 daily), On with how it relates to me, He has an 81' F150 there with an Okay long bed, Single Gas tank, he said to stop in and we can pull it out to take a look at it and see if it is worth it. As well in the bed there is an M5od that I can have as well. so 2 for 2. Yet to meet a ford guy that wasn't this nice. When I got my new wheels a guy stopped me at Canadian Tire and said he had some center caps and lugs I can have. He really liked how clean I have kept the truck in my time owning it which is less then a year, will look really good with the og bed, if it some what save able.

Did something small going to put my center back in as not a big fan of my XLT radio panel.

Cut cut, going to have a couple more sets of these. Still like my chevys but this bulls kept coming home
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  You are on a roll!  Congrat's!  

But I'm not sure what cutting you are going to do on the radio bezel.  Can you enlighten me?

ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
Currently it has an XLT Center, it it looks off with my Custom Dash.

Still not 100% on it but I will looks better will need to do some thing about that gap it will have.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There were mesh radio bezels, as you can see from the table below.  And any '85 or '86 bezel will have a DIN opening, unlike the bigger opening on the one you are planning to cut up.

However, an 85/86 "medium gray metalic w/o bright bead" bezel isn't going to be a perfect match for your original "black mesh weave" instrument bezel.  So wherever you find the 85/86 radio bezel you might want to also get the instrument bezel.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Wow!  You are on a roll!  Congrat's!  

But I'm not sure what cutting you are going to do on the radio bezel.  Can you enlighten me?
Gary, it looks like it has been "trimmed" fro a radio and thinking he wants to make it look a little more even when the radio is installed.
As for a filler a piece of sheet metal trimmed to fit the radio tight and over size of the bezel painted black I think would work.

Both of my radio bezels, custom/black & ranger/wood, have been trimmed for radios. I have a few radios to pick from to install but that is for another time.
Dave ----
Dave G.
ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
Just was rereading over my post on my brakes sticking, it eat through my passage pads and I near hit the gate at my farm. So was time to fix it correctly as going to cheap out and not replace the calipers but, did some work and when and bought all new stuff, so new flex lines, calipers and pads. The right rotors are marked up but still had lots of meat on it so got it turned at an local shop, $40 vs $100 for an new one. When I was changing the one flex hose I snapped an Line    But I have an Parts Stuck that I can go sell some parts off of. Saved an Trip into town
Old Vs some what old

All that new new

Not the most happy with the Car Quest calipers as they needed to be grinded to fit the slid pins, wasn't much work but I just bought them.

It Feels good to drive it to work again after having it side for 3 weeks.