Looking to add cruise control

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking to add cruise control

TheWeldingFords
As the title suggests I'm looking to see how hard it would be to add cruise control to my manual NP435 F250.

I've got a long trek ahead of me and I want to make it a little easier on myself by adding cruise control.

Where would I start? And what parts do I need to grab from a junkyard and what parts can I get from a kit/get new?

My truck never came with it and I don't really care to much about trying to keep a stock appearance.
Alex

Daisy: 1986 F250 XLT 5.0L EFI 4x4 Manual

Roseanne: 1993 Ford Ranger 2.3L 4cyl Rwd Manual
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking to add cruise control

fords4life
There are a couple of us working on this right now.  The thread below is a great starting point for information.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cruise-Control-Basics-lesson-request-tp135060p136269.html

Here is a lot of good factory info that Gary has uploaded as well.
https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speed-control2.html
1986 F-150 SC 2wd 4spd 302EFI Base Model all OEM motor/trans/emissions equipment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking to add cruise control

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by TheWeldingFords
Hi Alex, I'm in the exact same situation, follow the link above.

Here the basics I learned recently:
1- There are two type of Cruise control systems (also called by Ford "Speed Control".  So let's use «SC»):
• For Bullonose era, vacuum SC type.
• Later trucks got electronic SC type.

2- There are two types of Bullnose OEM kits:
• The Factory Installed SC kit (FIK)
• The Dealer Installed SC kit (DIK)

There is also a "Gary Installed Kit", since Gary adapted a later electronic SC to his Bullnose truck.  He related this in Big Blue's Transformation thread (you'll find the link in my thread).

The FIK comes with a steering horn pads equipped with SC buttons.

The DIK comes with the control buttons on an arm that replaces the turn signal left arm.

Although these two OEM systems are "vacuum" based, they also rely on some electronic controls, module and relay.  For what I understand, the main difference remains in their servo unit (which control a cable linked to the carburetor or fuel injection).  Bullnose servo is vacuum operated, and the later servo are electrically motorized.

With these basics on hands, I suggest that you join us in the thread I started and that ford4life mentioned above.  I am presently learning the how to's, so come and join me!

See you there!
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.