classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for a part...

1986F150Six
Administrator
Ford 300 heavy duty exhaust manifold, used in medium duty trucks.

It looks like the following photo of an aftermarket one: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/I28AAOSw-EBZto4f/s-l1600.jpg

Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for a part...

Ford F834
Administrator
D7TE-9430-EB

Sorry, this isn't a link, just a photo I saved for the part number:

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Yep, that's the one! Thanks for helping, Jonathan!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So, what's the plan, Stan?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Like this one? Very similar.

Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
From the 1973/79 Heavy Truck catalog, it looks like the part # would be D9TZ 9430-A, which is what the box would say according to Bill and Chris, but the part would be marked D7TE 9430-EC.  Rear Counter says there are 4 of them in captivity, although I didn't request a price.

But Stevens Parts says there is a D7TE 9430-FC casting number.  So, with the one Jonathan posted and the one Pete found, I'm thoroughly confused.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
The one I found . .is sitting on my shop floor  :)
Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You may be David's hero.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by PetesPonies
PetesPonies wrote
Like this one? Very similar.
Sadly that is the regular straight six manifold. You can tell right away by the 45* outlet angle, two bolt head pipe flange, and heat "flapper". The HD manifold points basically straight down, and has a three bolt head pipe flange. The exit diameter is much larger which is the whole point of upgrading.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
From the 1973/79 Heavy Truck catalog, it looks like the part # would be D9TZ 9430-A, which is what the box would say according to Bill and Chris, but the part would be marked D7TE 9430-EC.  Rear Counter says there are 4 of them in captivity, although I didn't request a price.

But Stevens Parts says there is a D7TE 9430-FC casting number.  So, with the one Jonathan posted and the one Pete found, I'm thoroughly confused.

There are versions with and without the threaded pipe port in the rear for EGR tube? Also there was some discussion about a version with four bolts attaching the intake log to the exhaust log. This one won't work for us unless you get the matching 4 bolt intake. It would be good to get to the bottom of this to know for sure which ones will work with our intake and which ones won't.

Here is a good reference thread on the HD manifold:

https://fordsix.com//viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56939

Edit: if anyone is wondering why David does not just buy a new one from Stevens, evidently these Chinese cast reproductions have a problem with cracking... and they are not exactly inexpensive to turn around and have that happen. That is why it is worth the effort to hunt down an OEM part.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
This post was updated on .
The flapper I could see, didn't notice the three bolt flange. That's why I said similar. I just use the EFI manifolds when trying to do better than the factory log. I have installed two sets of them.

Pete's Ponies

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ford F834
To continue the discussion, it looks like there were two intakes.  Note that on the previously-posted clip it takes 2 studs to join the intake to the exhaust.  How does that square with what is being said about there being 3 studs?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, every 300 I have worked on had 3 bolts holding the intake and exhaust together. The HD 300 in the 1970 F-600 dump truck we had at scout camp had the 3 bolt exhaust pipe flange. I am pretty sure it had 3 bolts, and I believe two were one direction and one the other.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Just to clarify: the number of bolts that join the intake log to the exhaust log is one issue. 3 bolts being what you need if you want to join it to a regular light duty intake manifold. There are HD manifolds out there that fasten with 4 bolts and won't do you much good unless you have a matching 4 bolt intake manifold:

This is completely different than the number of bolts that fasten the head pipe to the exhaust manifold. The HD uses a three bolt flange, the regular light duty one has the ordinary two stud configuration:

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
Gary Lewis wrote
From the 1973/79 Heavy Truck catalog, it looks like the part # would be D9TZ 9430-A, which is what the box would say according to Bill and Chris, but the part would be marked D7TE 9430-EC.  Rear Counter says there are 4 of them in captivity, although I didn't request a price.

Yessir, Gary, that is exactly correct, and you don't need to listen to me or Bill when it says just that in the catalog....

The Part Number is a xxxZ prefix and is listed in the catalog.

The casting/ID number is depicted in the catalog prefaced with a hash mark/pound sign in the RH column.