Looking for Bulged Bullnose Fenders

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Looking for Bulged Bullnose Fenders

Bulletproof250
I've searched high and low on the Web, looking for Bulged fiberglass fenders. The sets I can find require a swap to the '93-'97 headlights, grill, and hood making it hardly a Bullnose-truck anymore. I have already found Long-bed bedsides with a 3" bulge. Does anyone have an places to look? I'm looking for a 3- 4" Bulge, and I'm trying to keep the Bullnose gril and lines. all of the picture I can find of desert racing during that time period, don't show bulged fenders at all.
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Looking for Bulged Bullnose Fenders

salans7
You're probably going to be very limited on flare, and fitment will probably be an issue with few companies offering fenders for our trucks.

Bullnose 4"+ Flare Fenders
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
What you may have to do is buy the glass fenders and graft the bulge on to the stock fenders after trimming the fenders & removing the inner wheel well to clear the tires for suspension travel.

You would need to do the same when adding the bed sides as the wheels would hit the inner wheel wells.

You will most likely not find anything from back in the day as the pre-runners did not look anything like todays pre-runners with the suspension travel they have now.
Because of the wheel travel is why the bulge has come about.

Back in the day a lift kit rode like the axles were welded to the frame, no suspension movement, and would beat you to death on the street and kill you off road. I know as I did some off road racing with a 2" to max 4" lift kit suspension and duel shocks.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Thanks, for the input and the confirmation that my search was pretty thorough.  

I could get into some experimental one-off fender building from the existing fender style using aftermarket fenders, thoughts or comments?
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Thanks F150Six,

I had those on a Chevy K1500, I had back in the day but I'm going for a Wide-stance Prerunner look. But Bullnose would be my preference
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Does anyone here know what is involved in, or the possibility of fabricating, my own "bulged" fenders with a rise as well to Match the Bull Nose Grill and Headlights?
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
IIRC you said you can get the rear ones do you have a picture of them or what it is you are looking for?

If you have had some work doing this type of mod it will not be a walk in the park.
I would think the outer part to be the easiest, the inner not so easy.

On some cars that they do not make patch panels for the lower part of the front fender were they rust out you can take the front part of the other side to use as a patch as the body curves & lines match out pretty good.
So with that said and what you can get your hands on like say the rear ones. Use them on the front, you may need to swap sides to fit right but that would be the way I would go.

To use the fender you would need to cut out the wheel opening then add metal to "bulge" it out. A lot of shaping & welding to make this work, this is a LOT of work to look good in my book and most likely not go that way.

Once you have the outer part the way you want it you can work the inside.
I am thinking you would need to trim the outer part where in starts to turn down & out to meet up the stock fender lip. Then using card board as a pattern fit it to the fender, come straight out no need to have it meet the outer lip. Once fitted to the fender you can fasten it to what is left of the stock inner fender well. If you want to seal this to the fender get a tube of seam sealer to seal it.

Not knowing just what you are looking to do and what you have to work with this is just an over view of how I think I would look to make this happen.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Just got a brain storm!
If you can find (guys forgive me) a set of duel wheel rear fenders and maybe could use them to bulge the front fenders? Don't know if they would match the rears unless you get a 2nd set for the rear.

Please don't use flare side ones as they are hear to come by.

You would still need to figure the inner wheel well but you could still do as I posted above with the carb board as a pattern then make it out of metal.
I would think if you made one pattern then were to turn it over it would fit the other side.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
I like both of those Ideas, I have found long Bed Bedsides with a 3" Bulge and some Rise so that's easy now. I think you've got the right thinking, that either a second set of fenders, or patches, or Dually lines might get this started. I've got some time before I start into the widening, but I'd like to know what my options are before I change the suspension and can't get anything to cover it. :-)
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
Wait... What about these? could it be?

https://autofab.com/i-13043699-1980-1986-ford-bronco-or-f150-ashley-style-bulged-front-fenders.html
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bulletproof250
A big part of 'the bullnose look' is the flat topped wheel arches.
When you see an '80-'86 truck with a bricknose bed it is really odd.

Given those fiberglass fenders require a fabricated space frame that needs to support not only the radiator but also a battery bouncing around, you might be better off buying some cheap repop fenders and cutting them up to extend the ones you have
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
They also don't look like they are bulged but the opening cut bigger or higher to clear a tire stuffed up into the wheel well. And at $650+ s&h that is a lot to ask.
As for bracing if it is race weight it would really be thin fiber glass so it would need a bar or rod from firewall to radiator support or with the support moving could take out the fenders.

I had race weight glass fenders on a 73 Datsun 510 but the way the front was made I did not need to run support rods but did need to keep people from leaning on the car or they would have cracked the fenders and rear flares. Why is it people want to lean on a fancy (street/race) car / truck that is not theirs??????

When I think of bulged I also think the opening looks stock but the fender wheel lip is pushed out.
Because of this the inner part would also move out to clear a tire being stuffed up in the fender well.

Found this on a Google search. Here you can see this is a bulged fenders and not just the opening raised up.

Did you say you can get the rears and if so got a link to them?
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Dave, When I think of box flares I'm always brought back to the early '80's group B Audi quattro rally cars...

Maybe I'm just showing my age.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Kind of a shame the ones in Shaun's link lose the squared off wheel arches, because otherwise they look ideal for you Alex.

They are fiberglass, so I suppose that's easy enough to remedy.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Dave, When I think of box flares I'm always brought back to the early '80's group B Audi quattro rally cars...

Maybe I'm just showing my age.
Then we both are showing our age. I was thinking some of the road racing cars did the same bulging fenders to fit wider wheels & tires. When I Googled all I found where the trucks for pictures.

I was also thinking if it was me that wanted to do this how I would go about it.
I am also cheap (read poor ) and why I was thinking the duel rear wheel fenders as a start for the bulge.
They might look a little boxy but it would have the shape & lines to match the body.

Sometimes its not how it looks but how it works!
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Absolutely!

But Alex was saying how important it was to keep the bullnose look.

Follow Shaun's link and then look at the '80-'86 Bronco (as they don't have them pictured on an F-series)

Eta: pic of Bullnose front wheel opening for comparison

I think you could pull a female off the existing fenders to get the flat top and the crease around the Bullnose wheel arch.
Then cut out the fiberglass wheel arch and slap the mould on the outside.
Flip it over and lay the new opening into the ADV fender.

Those fenders are shown as having 4 1/2" flare and 4" rise.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Absolutely!

But Alex was saying how important it was to keep the bullnose look.

Follow Shaun's link and then look at the '80-'86 Bronco (as they don't have them pictured on an F-series)

Eta: pic of Bullnose front wheel opening for comparison

I think you could pull a female off the existing fenders to get the flat top and the crease around the Bullnose wheel arch.
Then cut out the fiberglass wheel arch and slap the mould on the outside.
Flip it over and lay the new opening into the ADV fender.

Those fenders are shown as having 4 1/2" flare and 4" rise.
I think with all that work you could use the duel fenders and get the 4 1/2" flare or more and I don't think you would need the rise and you would had the right opening shape.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I'd agree with that but I don't think the dually flare is going to come close to fitting between the wheel opening and the corner by the bumper.

And you would have to glass it to sheet metal, which is never a real good bond.

If Alex is wanting a fully fiberglass 'pre runner' style fender with the crease around the opening like a bullnose he is in for some work no matter what.

Maybe he wants the rise? IDK exactly what he's going for *** but that's what he said above ***

My being brought up around boatyards and loving working with epoxy composites makes it seem like an adventure rather than a chore.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
ArdWrknTrk wrote
If Alex is wanting a fully fiberglass 'pre runner' style fender with the crease around the opening like a bullnose he is in for some work no matter what.

Maybe he wants the rise? IDK exactly what he's going for *** but that's what he said above ***
Sorry it's been a while to get back to this post but I'm definitely interested in Bulge AND Rise. Noticing how the Fender line is different than the later model trucks I think I may be up to the challenge of laying some Glass. Although I'm a boat owner, I'm no Fiberglass-master, I know several others that know more than I about the process, but none work on trucks. So this will probably be a job...uh I mean and Adventure, that will require some consultation along the way. I'm thinking some spare fenders as templates to keep the lines the same then slit  the sheetmetal to expand the out and glass them over. either accomplishing a negative fore over all glass fenders or possibly to build out and sand for paint.

I'm pretty much making this up as I type and it Kind of sounds like it'd work,

Open to suggestions.....
Thanks,
Alex