classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Locating front fender splash guards

Buffalo Joe
This post was updated on .
Houdy- I’m new here, and workin on restoring my first love- an 80 F-150.  I can’t seem to find the plastic splash guards that are below the fender.

I’ve checked everywhere- Dennis Carpenter, LMC, NPD, e-bay, and lots others, but nowhere to be found.  I’ve found 79 and earlier, and 87 and later, but no 80-86.

Would anyone know where I could find these?  Does anyone know why these are so scarce, and no aftermarket parts seem available?

Thanks-
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Locating front fender splash guards

Ray Cecil
I have a set. Not going to part with them. But, maybe we can reproduce them?
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Joe it might help to list where you are at as they are not something that would ship easily.
Have you been checking CL and some say FB has some things also.
You may need to buy a full parts truck for them and might get lucky and it will have other parts better than what you have now.

I did that for my project and I used a lot of it and gave some parts away I was not going to use.

BTW welcome to the forum
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Buffalo Joe
BJ - When people introduce themselves in the New Members Start Here folder I always ask them if they'd like to be on our member's map - Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.  But you haven't so I won't.  

But on the fender liners, your best bet is to find them in a salvage.  If we knew you were close to one of us we might know where some are, but shipping will be expensive.

Also, as the "welcome" email said, a signature that tells us about your truck really helps.  It isn't required, but you'll get far more answers, and more accurate ones at that, if we know the details about your truck.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I understood him to be talking about Splash Guards not fender liners/inner fender well.

He did say Splash Guards. I am thinking he is looking for the plastic splash guards that are held onto the bottom of the fender with 3 screws behind the tires.

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
By golly, Ray, I think you are right!

They show on Page 15 on the 1981 Accessories Catalog, and here are the part numbers from the catalog:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary Lewis wrote
By golly, Ray, I think you are right!

They show on Page 15 on the 1981 Accessories Catalog, and here are the part numbers from the catalog:

Yes. Not sure which paint color was on mine originally, as they are now completly void of paint in the "Ford" logo....Id think white or silver would look best.

Im trying to restore mine. I finally got all the yellow road stripe paint off. Now I need to get the blue overspray off. Then, its on to discover how to restore the finish without destroying or warping the plastic.

Reply | Threaded
|

Buffalo Joe
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray, thanks for the reply- I understand not parting with yours, but how would you go about making them?
Reply | Threaded
|

Buffalo Joe
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Thanks for the reply- I have checked out craigslist, and am keeping an eye on it and eBay, but never have set up a fb account- although i’m being asked a lot lately.  I’m located in Woodbridge, NJ- and don’t have a lot of space in my yard for a parts truck- besides if I did get one, I think the neighbors might gather with torches and pitchforks- probably not a good idea.  Right now, I should have most of the parts I need- I am also looking for a steering column though, but I am finding some.  -And thanks for the welcome-
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've added you to the map.  

Used to live just out of Wilmington, DE and know what you mean about the neighbors.  And with Halloween coming up you don't want to risk that.  

As for the mud flaps/splash guards, we have several on here who are adept at finding things.  One, David/1986F150Six, is not on over the weekends, but he'll be back on Monday and I'm sure he'll use his talents to look for those.  As many others may as well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Buffalo Joe
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Hey guys- i’m kind of new replying to these posts, and looks like I shouldn’t be replying to everyone individually- just the latest?

Yes, so what i’m looking for is the plastic underside of the fender- the part that forms the back side of the front wheel well to protect the engine, and provides mounting space for all the electric components in the engine compartment.  I do have the originals, but they’re quite hammered. The undersides are discolored, and tried to heat them to remove the white, but they start to deform when it gets too hot.  They also got holes, scratches, etc.  I figured instead of going down this road, if I could buy new, or at least better ones, it might be worth it.  If I do have to fix these, would you guys have any advice on cleaning them up? Can I re-dye these?

..And yes, I could add something about my truck- i’ve had it for about 15 years: built in 11/79, it’s #710 off the line. It was first purchased by Spelling television, and has had just about everything you could bolt onto a truck- cap, roll bars, steps, antennas mounted on fenders, mirrors, roof.  I’ve pulled parts off of it that I didn’t know what they were.  I bought it from a guy in Batavia, NY, who customized vans. he rebuilt it, and raced it at the local track there.  When I bought it, it had wide tires and would get 5 miles to the gallon.  I dialed it back a bit, so I could drive it across the northeast, and build resorts with crazy architects. This is the second rebuild i’ve done on the truck, and am digging deeper into it this time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
BJ - You can reply to any and all of the other posts.  Your choice, although it is usually thought that responding to everyone's post aimed at you is the most polite way of doing it.

And you can either reply to each post individually, by clicking the "reply" button on that post which then tells us to which post your replying.  Or, you can get fancy and reply in one post to each one.  And one way of doing that is by mentioning the name/handle of the person to whom you are replying.  So a reply to several might look like:

Dave - Thanks for the welcome!  

Gary - Ok, got it.  

Whomever - Thanks!

But there's no set way of doing it.  To each his/her own.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Buffalo Joe
Oops, meant to say that there are several products that can help a bunch with the fender liners.  One is SEM black plastic paint.  But be sure and read the use instructions as it requires cleaning and surface prep.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Buffalo Joe wrote
...I shouldn’t be replying to everyone individually- just the latest?
It doesn't really matter to which post you reply, but it sometimes causes confusion if you click "REPLY" on a post, and then don't address that post.  In any case: if you simply type someone's name, or quote him, you can respond to several posts at once.
Buffalo Joe wrote
...the front wheel well to protect the engine, and provides mounting space for all the electric components in the engine compartment.
I call that the front wheel well - I'm not sure what Ford calls it.  The '80-86 parts are different because of the shape of the wheel arch.  You could try to mount an '87-96 wheelwell, but you'd probably have to stretch &/or cut it to get it come close to lining up along the edge.
Buffalo Joe wrote
Can I re-dye these?
If you feel the need.  They're not very visible when the truck is assembled, so I doubt anyone but you will notice if they're faded.  I've used black leather dye on automotive plastic, with good results.  But that dye seems to be hard to find now.  I think any paint would peel, given the high abrasion at that location, from thrown dirt & gravel.
Gary Lewis wrote
...your best bet is to find them in a salvage.
I agree - any JY that has any '80-86 F-series or Bronco should have these wheelwells, and they should be <$20ea (probably closer to $10/pr if you pull them).
Gary Lewis wrote
...a signature that tells us about your truck really helps.
Again - I agree.  A posted description of the truck gets lost in the thread, and is useless when you participate in other threads.  Your signature appears automatically under each post, so we can review it easily.  An avatar showing the truck helps, too.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I thought that he was wanting the inner fender wells and not mud flaps.

I feel you pain on not finding anything in junk yards. I moved from CT 4 years ago and the yards up there do not keep anything older then 10 years and they may have shorten that who knows?
With the laws and all and the room or lack there of, they cant keep older cars & truck around when they could sit for years before someone needs something off it so to the crusher it goes..

If you have not hurt them to bad with the heat I would try and fix them.
I think HF has plastic welders to fill in the holes and for the scratches I think a fine disc on a die grinder would work to fix them and then paint with the plastic paint.

Mine were not scratched or had extra holes but were faded but I am rebuilding a driver so did not care a whole lot. I am more pissed that over spray got up under the hood into the engine bay and coated everything and that looks worst than the faded inner fender liners.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Are 87 inner fender wells the same as a bullnose? If so, I got a set.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
1987's have round wheelwell openings, so I doubt they'll work correctly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
...and they stop at the bumper.  Bullnose fenders & wheelwells go down behind the bumper.  '87 wheelwell is the same as '96/7.