Little Joe

Posted by The Human Wrench The Human Wrench
Options
Bought this last October. My neighbor Joe, (hence the name) bought it new in '86 and sold it to a friend of mine 5 years ago. It did farm duty and was somewhat neglected for awhile but I have been making some improvements. These were taken the day I got it.

12 Comments

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
Gary Lewis Gary Lewis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Little Joe

Has promise!  And it is neat to know the history of the truck.  How about some recent pics?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

The Human Wrench The Human Wrench
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by The Human Wrench
Ask and you shall receive.This is the first thing I did to it. Only getting about 8 MPG with feedback carb and sensors unhooked/missing. So I found a NOS distributor & carburetor, ordered a new Motorcraft module, a new coil,cap,rotor and found a good harness. Mileage is better but not great.
Reply | Threaded
|

Left is "day 1" The seat wasn't terribly bad but I had these buckets and console and they are brand new. (Long story) You can see a little vegitation growing out of the floor mat. I thought  the windshield was leaking and it was cracked so I had a new one installed. Turns out the cowl is leaking so the "new" carpet will have to wait. I have scored the newer perforated cowl vent and have it painted, so now just waiting for warm weather.  Also installed the burlwood dash parts.
Reply | Threaded
|

This post was updated on .
These are the most recent pictures. Different wheels, new tires, new tail lights, gas fill door, a rear bumper and my stainless steel toolbox. Haven't taken pictures of everything, the "new" headliner and sun visors are in, new burl wood horn button, clock, dome light with map lights, hubs an rotors off of the "new" truck (0 miles on them) and new brake pads,(couldn't use the "new" pads, calipers or spindles as the zero miles truck is a 93 and they are different) new moog ball joints and all new tie rods and adjusters. Still to install, the "new" muffler and tailpipe, and the rear end and front gear set out of the "new" truck which besides giving me gears with zero miles on them will also go from 3.00:1 to 3.50:1.
Anything else on "Little Joe" I will post over in Projects.
Gary Lewis Gary Lewis
Reply | Threaded
|

Wow!  That's a lot of work - good work.  

Hope I get to meet Little Joe in September.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

1986F150Six 1986F150Six
Reply | Threaded
|

The Human Wrench wrote
 Only getting about 8 MPG with feedback carb and sensors unhooked/missing. So I found a NOS distributor & carburetor, ordered a new Motorcraft module, a new coil,cap,rotor and found a good harness. Mileage is better but not great.
You mentioned getting ~8 mpg prior to the Duraspark conversion. That reminded me of my early experiences: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325963-gas-mileage-recipe-4-9l-300-a.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Thanks for this information, I ran across it when searching to do the Duraspark conversion but never could find it after that. The truck is getting around 11mpg right now and for the time being that
is ok. I don't drive it very much or very far but eventually I'll get back to tinkering with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Little Joe doing his first actual work. That turned out to be just a little under a ton of scrap. That plus the weight of the trailer was all he wanted. I'm thinking maybe I will have to leave him at home in September and bring my other Ford truck. Slingblade.
Gary Lewis Gary Lewis
Reply | Threaded
|

How much are you bringing in Sept?  

LOL!  Either would be good.  Slingblade looks to be a truck as well, but unless those pipes have mufflers in them you'll be deaf before you get to OK.

Reply | Threaded
|

Not to worry Gary, that load of dead Ford parts is on it's way to China or wherever we are sending scrap now.  I do have some baffles in Slingblade's headers but they don't do much. I drove it to Dewey a couple of weeks ago to the Stray Kat 500 but I had earplugs in. I have plans for different headers and some exhaust with mufflers.
Gary Lewis Gary Lewis
Reply | Threaded
|

How 'bout making it to Anderson, MO on June 9th?  I'm going to make every effort to be there to see how the "big boys" run a show and to pass out fliers for ours.

Reply | Threaded
|

The Queen City Riot is here in Springfield is that weekend.