14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Liquid media blaster

kramttocs
Administrator
Anyone tried one of these?

https://www.eastwood.com/liquid-media-blaster.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIltOQ69Hq4wIV0v_jBx3bPgM9EAQYASABEgKDyPD_BwE

I use my blasting cabinet a ton but every now and then I find myself needing to prep an item that won't fit. Without having a suit, blasting outside is the worst so this seems good in theory.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Liquid media blaster

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  I'd not seen that, but I do have a pressure blaster.

And, I have an Eastwood media blasting unit for outside and agree that using it is THE WORST!  So this looks interesting.  But, it also looks very slow.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Haha if it means not picking coal slag out of my ears because I forgot to put my plugs in, I might be able to live with slow.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  And, you could use sand with no health problems.

Maybe you should try it and report back?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
kramttocs wrote
Without having a suit, blasting outside is the worst...
Why?  I did this in jeans, long-sleeve shirt, & hood, and it wasn't too bad, even in Memphis heat & humidity of June:

Gary Lewis wrote
...with no health problems.
Check the fine print...
Eastwood wrote
Always wear ANSI rated safety glasses resporator (sic) and gloves while using.
It says you don't have to worry about heat from blasting, but the force of water & sand at that speed will do at least as much warping to thin metal if you're not careful.

My plan is simply to build an extension that I can hang on the side of my cabinet if I need more space.  I've done it before temporarily using a cardboard box.  But it wouldn't be expensive or difficult to get someone who makes A/C ductwork to build a custom extension that I could drop on any time.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Steve83 wrote
kramttocs wrote
Without having a suit, blasting outside is the worst...
Why?  I did this in jeans, long-sleeve shirt, & hood, and it wasn't too bad,
I was considering a blasting hood to be a suit since that's really the only part that matters in an hobby setting (a respirator being a given anytime working outside a cabinet). With that, yes it wouldn't be bad.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I've wet blasted stone houses before. (way back in the '80's- early '90's)

We used fine white sand, and even though the water kept the dust down, days later when things dried up, there was silica dust blowing around everywhere.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
I wear a hood, filter mask, long gloves, long sleeves, and jeans.  And it is still a very unpleasant experience.

But sand is cheap here as Mohawk, one of the large suppliers, is taking it out of the Arkansas about 20 miles away.  So I don't worry about recycling it and do my outside blasting in the middle of the yard so the sand goes into the soil.

However, Mohawk's control on sizing isn't very good and I have to filter the stuff I get or it'll clog frequently.  Which adds to the lack of fun.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Is there still a lot of ultra fine broken  silica floating around days later?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No.  If there's a breeze, which is usually from the south here, it heads north where there aren't any houses for quite a ways.  But it is heavy enough it settles pretty quickly.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's the really fine stuff that gets lodged deep in your lungs, and kills you.

Silicosis is no joke.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Maybe I'm not running enough pressure?  But I don't get a lot of fine dust.  However, I certainly do wear a mask with filters.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I was taking about wet blasting granite specifically.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh.