Lifting my f100

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lifting my f100

KeithF100
Fellas, I just picked up a 1981 F100 2wheel drive.  I’m wanting to give it a 1”-2” lift but I don’t even know if this is possible.  Has anyone done this before? I’m not finding kits for this yr.  any help is appreciated
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lifting my f100

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Keith - Welcome to the forum.  

Please don't miss the request in the email you were sent to go to the New Members Start Here folder and read the guidelines.  Those are important as abiding by them is required to be a member.

I'm not up on the lift kits so will let the others answer that one.  But where's home?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if you would give me a town/city.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

KeithF100
Hey, thank you. I'm in Charleston SC.

On Oct 29, 2019 at 8:40 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Keith - Welcome to the forum.  

Please don't miss the request in the email you were sent to go to the New Members Start Here folder and read the guidelines.  Those are important as abiding by them is required to be a member.

I'm not up on the lift kits so will let the others answer that one.  But where's home?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if you would give me a town/city.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Lifting-my-f100-tp42331p42338.html
To unsubscribe from Lifting my f100, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.

By the way, your last post was via email, and that works.  But it also brings in a lot of "stuff" that clutters up your thread.  You might want to take a look at the thread by logging in to see if you want that "stuff" in there.  If not, just click on the link in the email notification you get and that will take you to the forum and post from there.  No "stuff".  

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

KeithF100
Roger that.  I don't need unneeded stuff. 😏. Except my truck. 

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019, 9:03 AM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You are now on the map.

By the way, your last post was via email, and that works.  But it also brings in a lot of "stuff" that clutters up your thread.  You might want to take a look at the thread by logging in to see if you want that "stuff" in there.  If not, just click on the link in the email notification you get and that will take you to the forum and post from there.  No "stuff".  

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Lifting-my-f100-tp42331p42341.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You're not gonna find a lift for an F100, but you will find them for an F150. The main things that lift the suspension are the radius arm brackets, the coils, and the pivot brackets. These are the same between F100 and F150. So an F150 kit should work fine on your F100. I know for sure Rough Country offers 2wd lift kits for these trucks.

The problem you're gonna have is that your truck is probably equipped with king pin beams. Suspension lift kits alter the angles of the suspension, and often require an alignment. Aligning a kingpin setup is a fading art, and not many people know how to do it properly. So you may run into issues there, or you may not. You won't know until after you lift it.
Reply | Threaded
|

KeithF100
Thank you so much for that information.  I’ve heard abt leveling kits and that they could be an option, what do you think abt those?  I just want it up a bit to put on larger tires so it looks cool. 

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 5:21 PM salans7 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're not gonna find a lift for an F100, but you will find them for an F150. The main things that lift the suspension are the radius arm brackets, the coils, and the pivot brackets. These are the same between F100 and F150. So an F150 kit should work fine on your F100. I know for sure Rough Country offers 2wd lift kits for these trucks.

The problem you're gonna have is that your truck is probably equipped with king pin beams. Suspension lift kits alter the angles of the suspension, and often require an alignment. Aligning a kingpin setup is a fading art, and not many people know how to do it properly. So you may run into issues there, or you may not. You won't know until after you lift it.
-Shaun
1980/86/90 Ford F350 4x4 351W/NP435/Sterling
2003 Ford Ranger V6/M5OD/8.8--Detroit True-Trac L/S, Hurst Short Throw, 4" Suspension, 3" Body Lift, Mustang Cobra Rear Disc Swap, and a few other mods....

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Lifting-my-f100-tp42331p42364.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You're basically gonna run into the same issues as before mentioned. The leveling kits are generally just new slightly taller springs, or even just a spacer that goes under the spring, and they can have the same effect as an actual lift kit.
Reply | Threaded
|

KeithF100
Aargh. I was hoping for something simple.   😁

On Oct 29, 2019 at 7:29 PM, salans7 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

You're basically gonna run into the same issues as before mentioned. The leveling kits are generally just new slightly taller springs, or even just a spacer that goes under the spring, and they can have the same effect as an actual lift kit.
-Shaun
1980/86/90 Ford F350 4x4 351W/NP435/Sterling
2003 Ford Ranger V6/M5OD/8.8--Detroit True-Trac L/S, Hurst Short Throw, 4" Suspension, 3" Body Lift, Mustang Cobra Rear Disc Swap, and a few other mods....

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Lifting-my-f100-tp42331p42380.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
It's entirely possible that the alignment would be okay, some trucks have issues, and others don't. It really just depends. If you were to swap out the kingpin I beams for newer ball joint beams, the alignment would be less of an issue. But that creates another issue if your truck is one of those F100's with a 5x4.5 lug pattern.