Lift Going On

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
34 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lift Going On

emunder
Started the lift this weekend. Was a lot more involved than I thought. I'm used to building Wranglers & they are way easier to lift with the solid front axle. Wasn't as much difficult as it was time consuming. That and it is just hot as hell here in Texas right now. My issue was the truck doesn't fit in my garage so by the end of the day I had to have the front finished so I could roll the truck out & close the door. At about midnight all I had left for the front was to pull the pitman arm & swap for the new one & then install the new tie rods. I didn't have a 33mm socket & it was late so I just threw the old steering components back on just to pull it out of the garage for the night.

Later today or tomorrow I'll finish up swapping the pitman arm & then installing the new tie rods. After that I still need to go in & do the ball joints & install the adjustable camber bushings. Then it will be downhill & I'll just have to throw in the rear blocks & take it to the shop for a proper alignment. 4 inches gave it a pretty good amount of lift in the front...glad I didn't go 6 inches. New wheels & 33" BF Goodrich All Terrains are ordered & will be here next week some time. I'll upload some pics once I get her all wrapped up.

1986 Ford F150 XLT 4X4. 300 I6 w/ 4 speed manual.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lift Going On

Hstrymkrs
Looks good. The 4" lift is sufficient. I went with the 6 thinking it would be better. I like the 6, but the 4 would have been more than enough. I just need to spend more on tires now. The TTB wasn't too bad either, but a pain in the rear to put back by myself.

Nice job, emunder!

Here is the 6" if you are curious. Not trying to hijack or anything.
IMG_20190416_110505558.jpg

IMG_20190416_155915554.jpg

I had to put 35x12.50 to keep it looking better. Now to change the differentials for the larger tires.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by emunder
Progress is good!  

I don't have to deal with Texas heat but last week tearing into my timing case a 10x10 pop up saved me from heat prostration.

My good EZ-UP went to a fellow Rocketeer that will get better use from it than me.
So now I have an inexpensive Horrid Fate canopy, but it made a huge difference.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Agreed. I have to do all my work in the driveway, and it saved me by just put up one of those canopies to give me shade.
1985 Ford Bronco XLT, 4.9L, NP-435 transmission, NP0208 transfer case, 3.55 limited slip rear end,TTB Dana 44 with 3.54
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I think this CoverPro was under $60 with a coupon.

WAY worth it, even if it only gets you through a weekend.
Set it up the night before so the ground won't cook you.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Can you keep us posted regarding the alignment?

I have a 6" lift from Rough Country and have taken it THREE TIMES to alignment shops and while the alignment spec sheet checks out, when I look at the actual tires/wheel, there is noticeable positive camber and when one wheel is "straight" the other points out about an inch.

So, I'm wondering if I'm just being picky and "that's how these trucks are" - or if there are no friggin' shops in South Florida that can align a lifted truck...
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've got two shops that can do a great job on my 250.
And I don't have a lift....

But I *pay to get it done right.

Pretty much forget about going to any chain of alignment shops.
Find 'THE GUY' and get your toe IN and camber correct.

250's always do weird things backing up.
So if you back into a space forget about that.

If you roll straight in and stop to look where your wheels are pointing, think about how much scrub that is, and how much good tires cost.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In my case "the guy" is named Steve, and you'd know him as FoxFord33.  He works at a chain, albeit a small regional chain.  But I'll bet he can get the job done, and done well.

He's going to do Dad's truck when the time comes, but will get Big Blue first.  However, since BB will have the solid front axle, alignment will be much easier.  

And, speaking of awnings, mine's been loaned out - to, of all people, Steve.  But I wouldn't have used it today as the power washing would have ruined it.  And, other than that, most of what I've done has been inside.

Which is very fortunate as we have been under and Excessive Heat Warning, with "feels like" temps of over 110.  But, with the water going everywhere today it wasn't too bad.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hmmm, that's really interesting to know, as I DO back up into my driveway.

I just paid $125 to get mine aligned the second time around (first time was about $80 when I had the tires fitted at another store) and after calling the head office to see if they could help me resolve the issue or get a credit, I found out that I was neighbors with the guy's dad that I was talking to. He called the local store and then said bring it around - which was this past Saturday... after taking it there and then taking a look at it in the parking lot of the alignment place, it "looked" ok. But, when I got it reversed in my driveway (which is also uphill), it looked all kinds of messed up.

I decided earlier today that I was going to think about it, pull the truck on level ground and then take another, good look at it... so I'm grateful for your comment on the post!

To the OP - I'm sorry for hi-jacking this thread, it was not my intention!!!

Gary - please just move it to a new thread if needed.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree with Jim.  But, it isn't juar F250's, it is all TTB's and TIB's.  

And if we are done with this I don't think we need to move it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
OMG - tell me about the heat! Earlier this week we had a big storm hit while I was at work, and it took out approx. 20 ft of a 35 ft tall tree in my backyard.

I came home and there were branches and leaves everywhere  (incl. a 5 ft chunk of the trunk where it had sheared off the other part of the tree).

So, today was my turn to cut it all up into manageable pieces and move it out for collection. I think I went through half a gallon of water and two pairs of yard clothes in about 3 hours. It had to be almost 100 and I had no shade to work in.

This heat is crazy right now.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary - excuse my ignorance - what are "TTB's" and "TIB's"?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Twin Torsion Beams and Twin I Beams.

I think the leaf spring 250's have it worse as there is no rear pivot like a 150 has.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
TIB is my shorthand for Twin I-Beam, which is what Ford calls the independent front suspension on the 2wd F-Series trucks.  TTB is Ford-speak for Twin Traction Beam, which is what they call the Twin I-Beam in a 4wd truck.

Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
In reply to this post by Hstrymkrs
Hstrymkrs: The 6" w/ 35's looks sick! Trust me I thought about it but we already have a 2 door JK on 37's & a 4 door JK on 35's so I figured with this one we'd leave it a little more tame for the road but it will still be capable. Couple of pics of our Jeeps we built up...

Mine:

Hers:
Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Appreciate the comments guys. Yeah the heat is pretty awful for sure. I have fans out in the garage but it's still pretty miserable. As I'm sitting here typing I'm contemplating whether or not I want to go out there and finish the front today or not. On the alignment normally what I do is measure the front & rear of the inside of both front tires to each other to make sure they are the same exact distance. That seems to get the tie rods pretty close. The camber bushings are new to me so I'll have to take a look at that once I do the ball joints. Thinking I may jack both sides of the axle up the same height & then take a level to the outside of the tires to make sure they are perpendicular to the ground. That ought to get me close enough to get it over to the alignment shop. My guy is my girlfriends cousin. He owns a shop close by and has a really nice alignment rack & is familiar with these old trucks so I'm lucky in that regard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hstrymkrs
Nice Jeeps! No doubt they are capable. My Dad wants to finance a trip out to Moab for the full-size invasion. I hope to get this thing ready by next spring.
Reply | Threaded
|

emunder
Thanks! I would absolutely love to do Moab...that's one of my bucket list trips for sure. That and Silverton Colorado...would love to go wheel out to those old mining areas.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You guys are singing my song!

My nephew and friends just got back from Moab with their RZR's.  He's well aware of what I'm building and was adamant that Big Blue could do Moab easily.  No, not some of the side trails they took, but the main ones for sure.

As for Silverton, Janey and I just had an interesting conversation.  We've been talking about two trips, one where the two of us take Big Blue to Ouray and do the mountain roads/trails and stay in a hotel at night.  This was to have been in about a year or so when Big Blue is back on the road from his "transformation".  And the other trip is to the Durango area in about two years were we rent a large house for a week and invite the kids and grandkids to join us.

So this morning Janey says "Why don't we drive Big Blue out to the Durango house, and when the kids leave we'll do the trails around Ouray?"  YES!  Not "Do you think Big Blue can do it", or "Will Big Blue be ready?"  Further, she said "And maybe you, Bret, and TJ will want to take Big Blue on some of the trails while the kids are there."

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Yes, Janey is a "keeper"!