Lets Talk Radiators...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Lets Talk Radiators...

grumpin
The IR thermometer is a good idea. I had a 1987 4Runner that would get very warm climbing through the mountains. Especially with the A/C on.

Checked everything and it ended up being the radiator. Ran right on temp. after that.

Edit: Added an aftermarket gauge also, did that on my bull too.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, worst part on Modine, I have one I took out of Darth, nice Modine, lifetime warranty. Two slight problems, the owner of the shop it came from had the poor taste to have a massive coronary just after his 65th birthday and die from it and Modine went out of business. I now have an SPI one.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Vic Roma
There is a reagent (test chemical) that will change colour of a small sample of coolant showing hydrocarbon in solution.
It only takes an ounce or two and a drop of solution.

I was asking if the 302 had a shroud at all, really.
When you said "aftermarket aluminum radiator" it could be a custom Griffin race job, or any darn thing..
I don't see what you do, so I'm trying to establish some kind of baseline.

I've seen all kinds of crazy stuff, like cars overheating mid-winter where the coolant looked great.
The owner doesn't bother to tell me the car had froze solid, and the impeller sheared off the pump when they tried to get to work the day before...

I tend to ask big stupid questions, trying to get a better picture.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill, I thought Modine got rolled into Visteon?

But that's a question for Matt.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.