classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Leaking Trans Cooler Lines

Quarterwave
Hi everyone

What I thought was a leaking power steering line has turned out to be a leaking trans cooler line.

From what I can tell, there is a connection from a hose coming from the trans cooler to the line which has been clamped and when under pressure, the fluid is leaking from there, down some lines and onto the steering box (which is what initially led me to think it was power steering fluid).

Anyway, the following pics are in sequence from the cooler to where the lines run parallel to the frame rails going back to the transmission.

After looking at the blow apart diagrams on this site, I can't seem to determine what I need as the coolers in those diagrams look different to what I have.

Also - I have a 4 core aluminum radiator - could that be why a factory steel line was not used to the existing line? If so, what are my options? Buy all new Ford parts and work my way forward from the lines at the trans connection all the way to the front mount cooler?

The cooler itself is not leaking, but every time I've tried to make a double-flared line I've failed and spent a lot of time doing it!

As always, any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
351 H.O Windsor, aluminum heads
Cam: Lift = .496''/.520'' Duration @ .050: 224°/234°
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich All-Terrains
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Leaking Trans Cooler Lines

Steve83
Banned User
Yes, the aftermarket radiator is the reason the hard lines aren't screwed into it.

In the 90s, Ford simply clamped a short rubber hose to the straight-cut steel tubing between the O2A cooler & the return line, just behind the front bumper.  It usually leaks after a decade or 2, but it's cheap to replace with modern "ATF cooler" rubber hose, which is improved & less-likely to leak.

So I'd just cut off the unneeded factory flared ends (FAR back from the flares, so you can save those ends in case you ever need to put them back on) and clamp on some new rubber hose.  I'd also add an external filter, as Ford recommends.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree with Steve.  Just replace the hose with good, modern hose, but ditch the flares as you can't get the right size of hose over the flare.  And, I'd double-clamp the hoses.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Ok, thanks guys.

Is this 5/16th size hose?
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Last time I bought ATF hose, it was only available in 1 size; probably 5/16".
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Ok, thanks Steve.
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
That's why I had to use fuel hose, Chrysler uses 3/8" on the A413/31TH and A604/41TE.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
In reply to this post by Quarterwave
Guys - how can I tell which is the "to" and which is the "from"?

The filter I ordered arrived last night and it has a flow direction on it. So, I just want to be sure I install it correctly.

Thanks in advance!
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a really good question.  I'll see if the shop manual shows.  The illustrations don't: Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic/C6.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't find anything in the catalog that tells me which way the fluid flows.  Maybe Bill knows?

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Do you have any pictures that show the cooler lines to transmission connections? At worst case. take a line loose, unplug the coil "horseshoe" so it won't start and crank the engine by jumping the starter relay and see which way the fluid comes out.

Front line on transmission is out to cooler, rear is return to lube circuits.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I have illustrations on the Cooling Lines tab here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/c6.html.  But, it doesn't show which line is supply and which is return.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No but when you look at the fluid diagram it shows out to cooler, then from the cooler back to rear lube. If you look at the transmission itself there is a fitting near the front, if I remember correctly right behind where the pump mounts, the other fitting is at the rear of the case, where it feeds into the lube passage in the output shaft. Logic says that the front fitting is going to be the hot oil from the torque converter and the rear fitting the cooled oil into the lube passages.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Quarterwave wrote
how can I tell which is the "to" and which is the "from"?
ATF (originally) comes from the trans, through the radiator, through the O2A cooler, then returns to the trans.  So if you have even 1 original steel line intact, you should be able to tell which way it passed through the original radiator, which tells you the flow through the rest of the loop.
Reply | Threaded
|

Quarterwave
Hi everyone,

I didn't add the in-line filter yet as I wanted to resolve the leak issue, which after sawing off the connector, filing it and then double clamping the hose, seems to have done the trick.

If only the radiator hose didn't start leaking not long after, I would be much happier...
1985 Ford F150, 2WD.
C6 Transmission
6" Rough Country Lift
15x10" Pro Comp Rims
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, at least there's one fewer layer on the onion now, and you are one ring closer to having a Bloomin' Onion.  

Cooling system leaks appear to be "the thing" at the mo.  Our daughter, who is living with us currently, called yesterday just as Sunday school class was starting.  The 2001 Subaru had overheated and she had stopped on the way to meet us there.  It is only a mile home, so I went back to get her and we left the car.

After church, when it had cooled down, I filled it up w/water and drove it home.  It didn't leak until it got up to operating temp and the pressure came up.  At that point the upper plastic tank started leaking where it was supposed to be sealed to the aluminum core, and steam started rising.  The new $68 radiator will be in tomorrow.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Gary Lewis wrote
...the upper plastic tank started leaking where it was supposed to be sealed to the aluminum core...
In some cases the Aluminum can simply be crimped back onto the tank without any other work.  Mine lasted another ~3 years before the tank itself cracked in a different area.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Steve, that was the original intent of the plastic/aluminum radiators, the theory being the tanks could removed, core cleaned, new gaskets installed and you would have an essentially new radiator. Fallacy was aluminum fatigue fails much quicker than steel or even brass, making uncrimping and recrimping a crapshoot as to whether it would seal or not. A good friend who owned a radiator shop told me that the failure rate on those repairs was close to 50%, so he stopped fooling with them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - I thought of trying to stake the crimps, but they aren't easily accessible.  And by the time you get to all of them you have the radiator ready to come out.  But for $68 and 2-day delivery for a car that my daughter and grandtwins ride in that became a no-brainer.

Bill - That kind of information tells me that my days of buying plastic/aluminum radiators is over.  Assuming, of course, that an all-aluminum one is available.  And that's not the case for the Subie.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I am just glad my konvertible has a copper/brass one and I have a spare complete with intercooler. Next one for Darth may be all aluminum and hopefully more than the two measly rows Ford used.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile