Leaking Heater Core?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Leaking Heater Core?

LARIAT 85
I think my heater core is leaking...again.  My original one lasted for almost 30 years before it soaked the passenger side floorboard.  This one has only lasted a few years, but it's not leaking inside the cab?  There is a small coolant drip landing on the plastic inner fender on the passenger's side and then on to my garage floor.

I can't seem to find an OEM Motorcraft replacement, which leaves me no choice but to buy aftermarket.  And I hate aftermarket parts.

So what are we using for replacement heater cores for a factory A/C truck?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Leaking Heater Core?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Spectra Premium.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have had excellent luck with AutoZone Duralast lifetime, they do eventually go bad, but for the time it takes to change one of these, I'll let them keep giving me new ones.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
I'm not sure how a '85's heater core is mounted but unless the neck got rubbed through by the firewall I'd think it's a hose or clamp problem.

All the seams are inside the cab, aren't they?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'm not sure how a '85's heater core is mounted but unless the neck got rubbed through by the firewall I'd think it's a hose or clamp problem.

On my 1984, everything is in the engine bay, but it is a non-AC truck. When my heater core leaked, it too dripped down on the plastic fender liner. The AC equipped trucks are quite a bit different though, and the heater core much easier to change....from what I've read at least.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Rick said "Factory AC truck" so I assumed it was like mine.

I still don't understand how you can have a heater core leak without a windshield sauna.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Rick said "Factory AC truck" so I assumed it was like mine.

I still don't understand how you can have a heater core leak without a windshield sauna.
Good point.  Any leak of the core itself would be inside the truck.  I guess it is possible the leak could be where the inlet/outlet tube hits the body and it could run down the tube and drip in the engine compartment.  But that would mean the seal to the cab would have to be bad.  And it would have to be a slooooow leak.

More likely it is the hose/tube seal that is leaking and dripping on the fender.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote

You know, I thought all the seams are inside the cab as well.  But I checked the hoses and connections, and I can't find a leak anywhere.  The only place it is wet is the outside of the plastic heater case, under the hood.  There is a small drip there that lands on the plastic inner fender.

*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Just installed my core a couple weeks ago and I didn't like the look of how close the tubes were to the firewall (was clearance but not much) so I wrapped the tubes with some of the silicon repair tape to provide a bit of a buffer.

But I agree - I can't think of anywhere else beyond the tubes + firewall or tube + hoses that would be dripping outside the cab.

I don't know how often you drive it but maybe stick some tissues in various locations and monitor?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Just to be clear:  if my [A/C equipped] heater core were truly leaking, there should be coolant leaking *inside* the cab on the passenger's side.

Right?

I just checked the box from the inside again, and it is not wet with coolant - at all.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not only should the box have coolant in it, the windshield should be covered in glycol slime.
You'd likely see steam (even in the desert) but you can't miss the vape film.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Lariat 85, try wrapping each individual hose, as it exits the heater core, with paper towels. Go out as far as you can toward the plastic fender liner. Drive the truck and then check the hoses. One side will have evidence of the leak and possibly the location.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
1986F150Six wrote
Lariat 85, try wrapping each individual hose, as it exits the heater core, with paper towels. Go out as far as you can toward the plastic fender liner. Drive the truck and then check the hoses. One side will have evidence of the leak and possibly the location.
I tried your idea, and found the culprit.  It turned out to be a loose clamp on one of the heater hoses.  I tightened it back up, and the leak has stopped.

Thanks for the advice!  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I started salvaging the flat spring clamps in junkyards, they may be a royal PITA to R&R, but they don't loosen with the heating and cooling cycles.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Glad you found it!

Bill, I have replaced a lot of those clamps, but kept them. Always hoping to find a good tool for them.

Any suggestions?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
grumpin wrote
Glad you found it!

Bill, I have replaced a lot of those clamps, but kept them. Always hoping to find a good tool for them.

Any suggestions?
There is a slip joint plier type tool just for them clamps.
They have little indents for the clamp ends to fit in and not slip out.
https://www.geniustoolsusa.com/550810.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-YDG89q85gIVAtbACh2IBwMaEAQYDiABEgJRfPD_BwE
Google will post up a bunch of others - "hose clamp pliers"
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
I have an entire kit of strange pliers I bought years ago, label on the case they are in has come off, I don't think they were Harbor Freight. I will try to get a picture of them. There is a pair specifically for separating the hose from the fitting too.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Thanks guys, Dave I think I have a pair of those.

The flat square type is what I have more of.

I’ve used 90° needle nose with success, if there is room.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona