Leaking Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Reservoir

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Leaking Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Reservoir

Ralloking
Has anybody here solved a problem with leaking brake fluid reservoir?
I have tried different rubber seals and covers, but still drops some fluid onto the inner fender....
F150 Explorer, 302, Longbed, 1984, California Emission, AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Leaking Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Reservoir

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes.  Mine was leaking because the top was rusty and not sealing.  So I sucked the fluid out, stuffed paper towels in, and used a file to smooth the top.  Pulled the paper towels out gently to keep the filings out, refilled the master cylinder, and it no longer leaks.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by Ralloking
All I did was get two pieces of cardboard and fold them then put them between the lid and the wire that clips over the top.  It added the extra pressure that it doesn't leak.

But, after reading Gary's reply, I might be doing that soon.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Ralloking
A new (reman) MC isn't that expensive, if yours has rust pits.  But my solution was to swap to the newer-style ('87-96) MC, reservoir, & booster.

It required a conglomeration of adapters on one of the lines, and I gutted the residual-pressure valve (because I wasn't sure if it would clash with the proportioning valve), but it worked fine for many years.

The '94-96 version (with SCCDS port) makes it easier to swap to the '93-04 cruise servo later.  Just be sure to get the black (new, revised) SCCDS instead of the old (flaming) red one.

Making the fluid level switch trigger the original BRAKE light is pretty easy, too.  Just splice it into the switch on the proportioning valve, and run a ground:

Reply | Threaded
|

Ralloking
It is brand new, but leaks same as old one ...
Maybe I have to live with that...🙁
F150 Explorer, 302, Longbed, 1984, California Emission, AOD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mine was new as well. But the fix only took a few minutes.

Having said that, I do plan to do the upgrade Steve mentioned to a later master cylinder with a plastic reservoir. In fact, I already have it. But I want to do it as part of an upgrade to hydroboost, so will be waiting a bit.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ScubaSteve
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
You pulled the towels out slowly to prevent the filings from falling in, I prefer to turn the shop vacuum on and quickly suck out the rags and filings at the same time. It works well for replacing intake gaskets and keeping the  crud from the old gasket from falling into the head.
1986 F150, XLT Lariat, 5.8, AOD, 8.8 limited slip, 4.10 gears
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent idea!  I wish I had thought of that.  

Reply | Threaded
|

JMUBullnose
In reply to this post by ScubaSteve
I gotta remember that for the next time!
1984 F-150, 302 CID (5.0 L) Windsor V8, 2 BBL carb, power windows added, remote entry added. AC. Automatic Transmission.