LUK clutch out of stock everywhere. Best alternative?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LUK clutch out of stock everywhere. Best alternative?

RenoHuskerDu
Howdy guys, we have installed two LUK 07-225 clutch conversion kits to replace the dual-mass flywheel that Ford afflicts IDIs with.  Both are working great. We also have a different conversion kit from RockAuto in a 6.9 IDI Bullnose with ZF5 conversion, and it chatters a bit at times. We prefer the LUK.  So I tried to buy one on fleabay, ordered it from this unprofessional seller named UltimateFrictionClutch who took 5 days to finally say they were out of stock. Avoid that seller.

So now I need to source another conversion clutch kit for a 7.3 IDI with the magic "M" in the VIN. No way we're going with another dual mass. CarID wants to sell me a Valeo. They're another huge icky mulitinational corp in my book, not known for high quality, just OEM quality. I had business dealings with them in Europe.

Would any of you have another suggestion?  Below are the links to clutch kits, including the RockAuto one that chatters a little.  RockAuto lists an optimistically-named Perfection Clutch for the 1993 donor F350 we took the motor and tranny from. They also sell the Valeo but CarID beats their price. Take note !

LUK clutch complete kit that's out of stock everywhere I looked
Valeo clutch CarID suggests this one instead
Valeo flywheel
RockAuto clutch alone Has changed names, it was being sold under several names when I looked into it a couple years back, is probably a China item ...
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LUK clutch out of stock everywhere. Best alternative?

grumpin
https://www.carolinaclutch.com/luk-solid-flywheel-conversion-kits/ford-solid-flywheel-upgrade-luk-clutch-kit

Don’t know if they have the clutch kit and flywheel in stock.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Good job, Dane!
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by grumpin
They are out of stock there too. He carries no alternative.  Woe. Woe is me. So far ...
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by RenoHuskerDu
Have you considered the Sachs SMF? #NFW-1067
They have a clutch kit to go with it: K70244-01

Sachs has always meant good friction to me.
Though like everything else these days it's probably manufactured in China.

There's RhinoPac 167325, and Brute Power 91200-SK SMF's if you want it cheap.
And always South Bend if you're more concerned about buying American than how light your wallet will be.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sachs to the rescue !

RenoHuskerDu
Done deal !  Thank you gentlemen.  CarID had both Sach parts in stock.  This is not the first time ArdWrknTrk has pulled my bacon out of the fire, as it were.

A quick testimonial for CarID, whose prices (so far) beat RockAuto, and you can talk to an actual carbon-based humanoid life form on the phone, that offers help to find your parts.

Sachs® - Single Mass Flywheel
Qty: 1$139.34

Sachs® - Clutch Kit
Qty: 1$198.08
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sachs to the rescue !

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glad I could help!  

I hope your swap goes smoothly
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
RenoHuskerDu wrote
Done deal !  Thank you gentlemen.  CarID had both Sach parts in stock.  This is not the first time ArdWrknTrk has pulled my bacon out of the fire, as it were.
Good job, Jim!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
By the way, that Rock Auto clutch kit seems to be for a T-19 because it calls out the input shaft as 1.063"
The Zf is 1 1/4"...
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
Yes, I was hasty in grabbing that, just wanted too see if they had renamed it yet again ... it was Brute Force when I bought it but a little digging showed it had three names.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just checking
Not a criticism

Glad you have an SMF and Zf disc on the way.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
RenoHuskerDu wrote
Done deal !  Thank you gentlemen.  CarID had both Sach parts in stock.  This is not the first time ArdWrknTrk has pulled my bacon out of the fire, as it were.

A quick testimonial for CarID, whose prices (so far) beat RockAuto, and you can talk to an actual carbon-based humanoid life form on the phone, that offers help to find your parts.

Sachs® - Single Mass Flywheel
Qty: 1$139.34

Sachs® - Clutch Kit
Qty: 1$198.08
I checked earlier for giggles and that Sachs you got is about $160 less than the Zone.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
If you get a chance, please report your experience with the Sachs kit. I may need a clutch for my F-Superduty and I was counting on a Luk SMF which I’ve had a good experience with. I have no idea what is in the donor, but if I need one I would like to know how Sachs compares to the Luk. I’ve heard bad things about the Valeo for IDI.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
LuK isn't as good as people think. I've had issues with my LuK slave cylinder and master cylinder in the Ranger. I bought LuK replacements, but when they arrived, I found that they were stamped with another company's branding. Upon research, it was actually FTE Automotive's slave cylinder, with FTE Automotive's parent company being Valeo. So buyer beware when it comes to LuK, there stuff is no better than what you can get at the Zone, which is also branded FTE Automotive. With that being said, my pressure plate and flywheel were all stamped LuK, and have been flawless.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sachs is a division of Zf.
Not that that means anything in today's world.

My LuK clutch seems okay.
I'm using a Ford master and an Excedy SC 886 metal slave (the one with a bleeder)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by salans7
I put a Luk clutch in my ‘68 behind the 240 straight six. It was okay, but the throw out bearing started making noise almost right away. It worked but I wasn’t impressed. The SMF kit that Jan and I installed behind his 6.9 for the ZF swap was exceptionally nice. It had very good road manners and I would like to repeat that if I can.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2