LED Dashboard bulbs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LED Dashboard bulbs

Gimmeagig
I have burned out turn signal bulbs in the dashboard of my 85 F150. I went to NAPA to find out if there are LED replacements for these bulbs. I was told that LEDs available for that truck are not dimmable and that the turn signal LEDs would require a different blinker relay and a separate ground wire.
What do you guys know about this? I was hoping it would just be a straight forward swap but that doesn't seen to be the case...
1985 (March) F150
351 HO
Edelbrock carb
Shortbed
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LED Dashboard bulbs

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
They are a common 194 miniature wedge base.
The indicator lamps aren't dimmed at all.  

You shouldn't really need an electronic flasher if you still have incandescent bulbs in the lights themselves.
Front and rear lamps alone have plenty of load to cycle a thermal flasher.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Gimmeagig
Gimmeagig wrote
I was told that LEDs available for that truck are not dimmable and that the turn signal LEDs would require a different blinker relay and a separate ground wire.
Can’t say for all LED brands, but I installed the same as Gary, HI-PO ones.
They are dimmable, although if I dim very low, they tend to “pulse” (in my case).  Not a big issue, I love them.

I tried them for the indicators too (brake, 4x4, flashers, high beams) but put back regular bulbs there:  I found that LED are much too bright for that use.
I confirm that HI-PO were flashing normally as turn signal, and had also two levels as high-low beams indicator, just as regular bulbs do.

LEDs are electronic parts, the way they are built is important, so maybe your NAPA guys are right about the limitation of the brands they are listed for.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I made the mistake of putting LED bulbs into my dash. It was a terrible decision. They caused problems with my cruise control and turn signals. They don't produce sufficient resistance, even with the electronic flasher installed. My suggestion would be to stay with incandescent bulbs unless you plan on chasing electrical gremlins. YMMV.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Another vote for the hi-po LEDs. No issues with them in the Bronco. My F350 has the same low dimmed slight pulsing, but I wonder if that is related to other electric issues.

Only places I don’t use the LEDs is the high beam and brake. I do use them for the indicators though, I like those being bright.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by Gimmeagig
All bulbs are made different, cheap junk isn't dimmable but good bulbs are.  United Pacific LED flasher PN 90652 is the one you want for turn signals, it includes a ground wire to hook up and you can run whatever bulbs you want after that.