Keyless start?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Keyless start?

Mushrat79
I have a pushbutton start that I'd like to use in my bull, but not sure how to do it.  Is it possible to remove the rod and ignition switch, and replace them?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Keyless start?

kramttocs
Administrator
"Normally" the rod and ignition switch is left in place to turn the system 12v on/off and the button is just to kick in the FMR (fender mounted relay).

Why are you wanting to go to a push button though vs fixing the ignition switch?

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
And if you are set on doing the push button, please avoid bypassing the nss of your C6.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Mushrat79
The ignition switch works fine, I'm just doing a "resto-mod", adding more modern touches to the inside of the truck, while still retaining the factory feel as much as possible.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
sitting in the seat while reaching forward to turn the key is about as "factory feel" as it gets.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by Mushrat79
If you are just talking about a momentary contact switch to replace (or work in addition to) the key starter, that would be no big wiring trick. But the "start" button that is on modern cars does more than that. For example, it knows if you are stepping on the brake pedal. It also tolerates a "momentary" press, in which you could let off the button immediately, before the car is started, and will keep the "start" function going until the car actually starts. Granted, most newer cars with this technology start immediately. I don't know about your truck, but tapping the start switch on mine momentarily would probably not produce an engine start most of the time.

I guess what I am getting at is, what level of integration are you looking for? It's going to be really hard to integrate all the functions of a modern start button, and it will require a computer. It's going to be really simple to run a secondary "start button" circuit to replicate the key-in-start-position. But if that's all you're going to do, my question would be, why bother?
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock