Key stuck

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Key stuck

IowaTom
From the "it's always something" department, now that I have a good turn signal switch, after driving the truck around and cycling start a few times, now the key won't click back to where I can remove it.  Sheesh... I must be the Mr. Potato Head of shade tree mechanics.

Even taking the nuts off the column switch box doesn't free up the switch.  Pushing the release button doesn't help either.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to take the steering wheel off again and find what's binding my key switch.

'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Key stuck

IowaTom

I took the wheel off anyway, but still see nothing binding.  Why can't anything be a simple fix?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I know you said you got a tilt column switch even though your's is fixed.

Are you sure the wires aren't bunched up in there keeping the rack from retracting?

(Not knocking you. I just usually go to the last thing I touched when things go wrong out of nowhere)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
I know exactly what you mean, Jim.  When something stops working right...and I worked on it, I'll revisit what I did.  I'm slowly working my way backwards, although I'd hate to have to dig the sloppy old turn signal out of the garbage can and re-install it.
The wires are all tucked out of the way of any moving parts.  Thanks for the input!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I certainly hope you get to the root of it Tom!  

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by IowaTom
Could the wires be interfering with the rod for the ignition switch?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Dane, I made sure nothing was interfering with the rod and the wires are far enough away but also not pinched in the collar.

I did accidentally discover my column IS a tilt variety.  Stuck a screwdriver under a spring loaded pot metal piece and the danged thing tilted up.  Yes!!  No wonder the first switch I ordered didn't fit.

I hesitate to remove the collar that holds the key switch.  One of the first things I did after buying the truck was to replace the column switch & keys due to very sloppy action.  I hate throwing money at a problem but might just buy another key switch to try it.  Guess I could take it back.  I'm rambling, sorry.

Still think something near the column switch mechanism has broken and I'm not going to leave a key in my ignition.  Bu hao.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's more interesting information Tom.  ðŸ’¡
You've replaced the switch, but there's really no way that you could have screwed that up.
They only come out one way (with the button on the bottom) and they only go back in in one position too.

I wouldn't question that.
Is it at all possible that in all the jiggering around with the turn signal wiring that the tilt column actuator has come adrift?
There are some threads that explain the complex replacement process (and I'm probably grasping at straws) but you obviously have some issue with the lock cylinder being able to fully return.
How about the button you need to depress to get the key back into the lock position?
Does that feel normal?

Maybe investigate setting/adjusting the ignition switch itself... Though you don't say there's any issue with the run or start positions of key actuation
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
Jim - I think it is the key switch.  After taking it out, I can't get it to release the key.  Ordered another one but it probably comes from the same fac'try you know where.  Oh well, it lasted a whole year.  :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ah.
I misunderstood. I thought you couldn't get it back to the position where the key could release.

Sorry!    I made a stupid...

I bought a set of door and ignition switches quite a few years ago when I wanted my doors to take the same key as the ignition.  (my ignition key would come out in ANY position at that point!)
US70L Standard Motor Products -yes, China- from Amazon, but I can report it's held up well so far.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by IowaTom
IowaTom wrote
Dane, I made sure nothing was interfering with the rod and the wires are far enough away but also not pinched in the collar.

I did accidentally discover my column IS a tilt variety.  Stuck a screwdriver under a spring loaded pot metal piece and the danged thing tilted up.  Yes!!  No wonder the first switch I ordered didn't fit.

I hesitate to remove the collar that holds the key switch.  One of the first things I did after buying the truck was to replace the column switch & keys due to very sloppy action.  I hate throwing money at a problem but might just buy another key switch to try it.  Guess I could take it back.  I'm rambling, sorry.

Still think something near the column switch mechanism has broken and I'm not going to leave a key in my ignition.  Bu hao.
Funny how many people don't know they didn't have tilt! I didn't until I remembered how they work and tried!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona