classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jarek's Tachometer

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jarek sent me this email, and while I'm going to answer in this thread, I thought it would be better if everyone saw the response in case I'm wrong.

Hi Gary,
Where could i find info about connecting tachometer in my 1986 f 150?
it is Auto Gauge look like VDO tachometer.
    https://mdcarbon.pl/httpsklepmdcarbonplwskaznik-obrotomierz-auto-gauge-vdo-classic-p-3403html-p-3403.html

regards

Jarek - I think all tachs have to connect to the "Tach" connection on the coil.  But, the tach signal is also in the dash as they did away with the idiot lights for 1986.  You can see that wire in the schematics shown here: Electrical/EVTM/1986 EVTM/Start & Ignition.

Here's the 1986 5.0L EFI schematic.  (Your signature doesn't tell me what fuel system you have, but a 1986 5.0L should be EFI.)  You can see the dark green/yellow wire coming off the coil, and going to the tach.  So you can use that wire from in the dash, right behind the instruments, to power the tach.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jarek's Tachometer

Steve83
Banned User
Yes, since the tachometer was an optional factory gauge, most trucks (that I've messed with) already have the necessary wiring in the instrument cluster connectors.  Either drop in a factory tach (my preference, though not necessarily THE factory tach for these old trucks) or splice into those factory wires for an aftermarket tach.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jarek's Tachometer

jarek_rugby
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
THX :)
I will inform when i finish
Chicks dig us 'cause we play RUGBY
F 150 1986 302 ci EFI
Pontiac Firebird 400 ci 1973
Reply | Threaded