CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: It’s all about an old school tranny

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I really don't know anything about them.  But, I see them from time to time advertised on one of the FB pages I frequent, so will make sure I let you know the next time I see one.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by Johns3524
Johns3524 wrote
Some call them “rugs” or “smod”, or “srod” , or “tod’s”.  These are of course nicknames for the infamous 3 speed w/o drive trannies that Ford used in the 70’s-80’s...
I think those are DIFFERENT transmissions - not a bunch of names for 1 trans.  Although some may be derived from others in that list.  The SROD has a side shifter; most of the others are top-shifted.

Johns3524 wrote
I have chosen to retain a crank lever clutch release...
WHY???  They wear too fast, and they're sensitive to soft body mounts or broken engine/trans mounts.  Mine was so bad at one point (just before I converted to hydraulic) that the truck would jump & bang no matter how smoothly I let out the clutch.

Johns3524 wrote
...hydraulics are not what I want.
It's a superior system, and will work with many older trans models with separable bellhousings.

Johns3524 wrote
have any of you seen any available cast-iron smod trannies for use in our trucks in either 2wd or 4wd?
Many, including in some later trucks (as factory equipment).
Johns3524 wrote
the later “tod” version would be an option if they came in a cast iron case.
I don't think so.  The case ribs  in these diagrams are characteristic of cast Aluminum, but I haven't necessarily noticed IRL:

Johns3524 wrote
these transmissions are much lighter to handle than this 435 for sure.
Is that really a consideration, though?  How often do you plan to dismount the transmission?  I'd be more concerned with how it shifts, and how durable it is (so it doesn't NEED to be handled as often).
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
ETM
Reply | Threaded
|

ETM
I know that 2-3 shift, I daily my 3 on the Tree, Need to get up to 60kph and it still seem to slow when she is a bit cold
Eric 1981 F100 - 300 I6 - M5OD Swap 2003 G35 Drift Sedan 6mt RWD - Ricer @OnlyETM Ontario, Canada
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Johns3524 wrote
...a 300 when at odd grade angles, the engine may shift drastically.
Only if the engine/trans mounts are broken.  Otherwise, no engine should shift around the frame/engine bay.

But with mechanical clutch linkage, that force is ALWAYS transmitted across the body mounts.  So any looseness in them (especially the one in the driver's footwell) results in a sloppy clutch pedal.  With hydraulic, that can't happen, regardless of the mounts (body OR engine/trans).  And the hydraulic fluid doesn't wear out like the mechanical linkage.   It's also a self-adjusting system, so you don't have to crawl under & wrench on it as the clutch & flywheel wear.

Just food for thought...

I don't consider vandalism to be likely enough to influence how I build my vehicle, especially considering how I've built my vehicle...  It practically screams "If you think anything in this truck is worth your life, then I agree."

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
hydraulics are not what I want.
Man do I hear you I don't like them either.
as Steve showed mine was worst. A little welding and work with hand files got them back like new.

As for the trany swap other then the hydraulics I would look into the newer 5 speeds.
It shifts smoother, the gear spacing is good and it is easy on the clutch.
Have you looked at the first gear ratios between the 2 tranys? You may find the first gear ratio too high for pulling anything and even just driving with out needing to slip the clutch.

Have you looked into what it will run $$ wise for this swap? I would think any used trany you find will need to be rebuilt so add that  into the final $$.

If you like the trany you have now but just want over drive have you looked in the Range Splitter from Advance Adaptors? It is the only OD unit I know of that works with a 4x4.
Gear Vender does not work with 4x4 as it is bolted on the back of the transfer case so only works in 4x2.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You have my rebuilt stuff, with bronze bushings.  Right?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

According to blue oval trucks

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
I have one in my Frankentruck project. 86 4X4.

I hear that these transmissions are supposedly weak, but it has lived through a fair degree of abuse. I like it for the less trucklike feel of the shifter. I have an M5OD for a replacement should mine give up, but I don't think such failure is imminent.

Clutch linkage is hydraulic and mine has an external cylinder on the bellhousing, unlike the M5OD with the integrated bellhousing and slave cylinder. I understand pretty much everything after '84 got a hydraulic clutch. My '86 had a poorly cobbled together mechanical linkage that was definitely not stock and very troublesome. I'll take the hydraulic linkage anytime. FWIW, the bellhousing supports both the 4 speed OD and the NP 435.

Not really too concerned about the gear range spread, but I will say that I got fantastic fuel mileage with a 5.0 in the truck before the rebuild.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

about the sloppy clutch rod

Johns3524