It’s all about an old school tranny

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: about the sloppy clutch rod

NotEnoughTrucks
I may very well take you up on this. I'll email you and we can discuss details.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Johns3524
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think I'll need it.  What I have will be an auto and a manual w/hydraulic linkage.  So I'm good.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: It’s all about an old school tranny

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Johns3524
It doesn't sound like what you want, but I put an NV3550 in my '71 Bronco.  An Advance Adapter bolted it to my stock bellhousing, so I still have the stock mechanical clutch linkage.  I think another adapter would've been needed for the transfer case, but I went with an Atlas that bolted right to the NV3550.

It's been a good choice for me, with a reasonably low 1st gear (4:1) and an overdrive (0.78:1) with three gears in-between.  Like I said,it sounds like you have your plan, but I thought I'd just make sure you know of this option.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I think your 4-speed OD idea is a good plan. The ZF or M5OD means new driveshafts. The rear shaft on the Bronco is already so short that Ford gave it a double cardan. I could be wrong, but I don’t think there will be any length change going to one of the Tremec’s. As you already noticed, the Bronco’s with the 4 speed OD had the shifters side by side, with the transfer case lever on the right. It will be helpful if you can get the correct tunnel cover and one-piece dual shift boot that goes with that set up. It will also mess up your carpet arrangement. Not that it would weigh into your decision, just something to plan on.

The auxiliary overdrive options like Ranger gear splitter, DNE2 or gear vendors won’t really work in a Bronco. The wheelbase is too short. The GVOD ~can be used on a 4x4 behind the transfer case. The electronic controller has a lockout that prevents it from engaging outside of 2wd, but for a Bronco it’s too long.

You can count me in the crowd that prefers a mechanical linkage clutch. I like the tactile feel of it better, and after fighting leaks on my ‘86 diesel truck’s clutch (and loosing prime when it sat) I’m not a fan. It’s a good idea to carry a spare mechanical linkage clutch rod because I’ve had the ends break off at the bend, but it’s not a hard fix on the side of the road if you have a back up.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I don’t get to the junkyards as much as I used to but I will keep my eyes out. I have seen quite a few here in Arizona.

Just out of curiosity, in your quest for a cast iron case... is this because you have heard of case failures? I always assumed the problem spots were bearings and internals.

I know I’ve said it quite a few times but my gearing solution is a fully synchronized diesel ratio T19, 3.00 axle gears, and tall 235/85R16 tires (~31.75” diameter). It shifts very smoothly and the ratios are great for the I6.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Johns3524 wrote
If I had 3.00 R/A gears i wouldnt consider OD at all.
I built my Bronco with '95 4.9L (EFI 300ci), NP435, BW1356, Ford 8.8" 3.08 open, ~32" LT285/75R16.  I can set the cruise above 100mph without going over 3500RPM.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve - Not to sidetrack things, but how did you hook up the shift lever to the BW1356?  Did you use the 1356's lever and cut out the side of the hump?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Johns3524
In reply to this post by Steve83
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Well I've thought about it..

Johns3524
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Well I've thought about it..

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like, with some thought and consideration, you've come to the conclusion that what you have is what you need.  What a wonderful position to be in!