Is there a way to test the Duraspark modules?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Is there a way to test the Duraspark modules?

reamer
Coming home today from a truck show, Ran great getting there, but when driving home, I got about 1 mile from the show and suffered a complete ignition shut down. No spitting, no sputtering, no loss O' power. just driving then dead. Pulled to the side of the road, And all she did was crank, crank, crank. All electrical worked. Luckily, Stupid me, years back installed a Duraspark Ignition module "sandwich" under the hood. (one on top of another).Unplug wires from No1. module, plug in to #2  module. Fired right up and on my way..... Is there a test protocol to check the "dead" module?
Thanks
Reamer
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Is there a way to test the Duraspark modules?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, there are two ways to do that.  The high-tech way takes the tester that Bill and I have.  But the low-tech way is as explained on pages 34 & 35 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/start--ignition-gasoline-engines.html, which is from the 1985 EVTM.

However, you effectively did test it.  It doesn't work and the other one does, so it is bad.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I don't had a DS tester, I gave it to you in trade for the MAC scope.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I knew that's where I got it, but assumed you still had one.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
No, I just no longer really had a use for it since Darth and the Taurus are TFI systems, Flex is COP, and It does me no good on a Chrysler system as theirs is in the engine electronics, either the power module (1981-87, SMEC power board (1988-89) or the SBEC/SBEC2 (1990-?) the last varies depending on vehicle and powertrain options.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I won’t have a need for it soon, but I like having it. Besides, who knows what I might buy.  😉

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by reamer
reamer wrote
Unplug wires from No1. module, plug in to #2  module. Fired right up and on my way..... Is there a test protocol to check the "dead" module?
I think you already did it.