classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
66 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Introducing Myself

Schwabber
Hi Everyone-  
My name is Brian and I am just giving a brief intro to get started on the Bullnose Forum.  I bought a 86 302 EFI about 4 years ago as a home improvement project truck and paid 1200 for it.  The odo read 44k but looking through the glove box I found the original owners gas refuel log that went to late 2010 and the last entry was 144k.  So I asked no more questions and paid the seller cash.  Been pretty happy with that gut decision so far, but recently had to replace the water pump and while that went fine, it introduced me to the infamous 2G alternator problem.  The truck has been sidelined for the past month by a fried alternator harness, which has delayed a number of projects that I need to get back on track asap.  I expect you will be hearing lots more from me...

Brian Schwabauer
86 302 EFI

Truck Project backlog by my priority:
replace and rewire alternator
rear brake and master cylinder rebuilds
driver side window motor repair
wiper arm replacement
side-panel dent repair

Home Project backlog by my wife's priority
remodel master bath
remodel home office
replace side fence

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Introducing Myself

1986F150Six
Administrator
Welcome to the forum, Schwabber!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Schwabber
Brian - Welcome!  

For what you got the price was good. Trucks that can be driven immediately are worth far more than those which need something fixed as you almost always find more broken than they tell you.

On the alternator, I think you said you are going with a 3G, which is certainly what I’d do. The conversion page lists donor vehicles and you can get part of their wiring, making it a simple task.

Again, welcome!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

844rd
Welcome Brian.
Kevin 84 F-150 300 i6 Manual 3 speed overdrive 2.47 rear end
Reply | Threaded
|

Schwabber
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks, Gary.   I do have a couple questions from reviewing the 3G upgrade page:

1). Is the recommendation to get both the alternator and the harness from donor, or just the harness?

2). The answer is probably obvious, but quick observation says the mount ear orientation on the 3g is parallel to the pulley, whereas it is perpendicular to the pulley on mine(2G).  Maybe a picture would help me understand this better...

3). Finally, the original fusible link is replaced by the bussmann protector, right?

I added a couple pics showing what’s left of the current setup

Thanks, Brian

EFE07B74-E7AA-41F1-8705-C6D0F027DE3E.jpeg

D30D9058-BC0E-438B-9D46-18C6E3C1083B.jpeg
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, get the alternator and at least the charge wire, which should include the fuse.  And, you should also get the other wires to the alternator as well since you have some melted ones and will need to repair them.

But I'm not sure what you mean about the mounting ear.  The 3G's I've gotten have the same mounting ears as the 1G's and 2G's.

As for the fusible link, you do have a burned one.  But I can't tell which one it is, although it looks like it may be the big yellow one that connects to the ammeter shunt, as shown on Page 15 here: Electrical/1986 EVTM/Charge and Power Distribution - Gasoline Engines.  If that's the case, then that is something you'll have to repair.  The bussman fuse goes in the wire from the alternator to the solenoid.  And, you have to bypass the shunt to the ammeter or it will burn up when the 3G start throwing its weight around.

And, by the way, your images are too large to insert directly.  But if you click the "Big Size" button they'll load just fine.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwabber
Sorry I screwed up the first upload, Gary.  I think I have it figured out now.  fingers crossed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can click "More" and then "Edit Post" to fix the pics in the earlier post.  And then I can edit mine to remove them.  If you want.

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwabber
All - I have been doing some searching and so far haven't turned up any suitable replacement parts in my local area.  I do notice that there is a national used parts database that many of the junk yards have up on their websites.  Quick search gives several hits for the alternator I am looking for, but I am wondering how accurate this option is.  Also, trying to do this via mail makes it a bit harder to try to pull the harness also.  

So I guess the other question is maybe someone knows a place in my area that might have a better inventory of donor vehicles. (circa 1995-2000 fords)

Brian Schwabauer
'86 F150 302 EFI
Northern California/SF Bay Area
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Introducing Myself/Need some more advice

Schwabber
Hi Gary/All - So I have been going out to local junkyards and haven't been having any luck.  More than that, it seems that pretty much universally most vehicles have already been stripped of their alternators and most other key electrical parts.  Is there another way to go about this that might be more productive?  I was wondering if the age of the truck and all the donor vehicles now makes this a unlikely proposition in 2018.  And if that is the case, do I have any other options?  I wonder if I did refer this to an electrical place would they even be able to fix it?

I would appreciate any insights -

Thanks,
Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Brian - When you say "fix it" do you mean your 2G alternator?  Or do you mean the wiring?

As for the 3G alternator, you did look at the page on 3G conversions and found these as the recommended donors - right?:

90-99 Taurus/Sable (the 3.8L has 8.125” mounting. 3.0L has the 7” mount spacing) *Need to confirm this info.
91-96 Lincoln V6
94-95 Mustang 5.0L
94-00 Mustang V6
95-96 Windstar V6
94-96 Thunderbird/Cougar 3.8L
92-96 F-Series and E-Series

And you aren't able to find any of those in the local salvages?  If that is the case perhaps others on here may be able to find them?

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwabber
Hi Gary and thanks for the quick reply.  I quess I am referring to both options.  For the 3g upgrade option, I am wondering if there are any better sources for the 3g alternator and harness that I am getting here in my local yards.  As to the question about repair shops, that is for repair of the existing 2g alt set up.

I spent the afternoon today looking at thru all the inventory of each of these donor models at the largest pick-n-pull yard in my general area and on every one of the vehicles the alternator and wiring were already gone.  (The attendent suggested showing up daily early but that is not really an option for me.)   Same has been true for the 3 other places I have been to date.

Brian

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 6:51 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Brian - When you say "fix it" do you mean your 2G alternator?  Or do you mean the wiring?

As for the 3G alternator, you did look at the page on 3G conversions and found these as the recommended donors - right?:

90-99 Taurus/Sable (the 3.8L has 8.125” mounting. 3.0L has the 7” mount spacing) *Need to confirm this info.
91-96 Lincoln V6
94-95 Mustang 5.0L
94-00 Mustang V6
95-96 Windstar V6
94-96 Thunderbird/Cougar 3.8L
92-96 F-Series and E-Series

And you aren't able to find any of those in the local salvages?  If that is the case perhaps others on here may be able to find them?
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Introducing-Myself-tp14244p15325.html
To unsubscribe from Introducing Myself, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let's see what others say about what might be in their salvages.  And, I'll look to see what I have laying around, although I don't know that I have an extra 3G.  Anyway, hang on a bit before deciding to have the 2G rebuilt.  It would be a shame to put money into it when maybe the same money will get you a better alternator - and one that doesn't have the potential to catch on fire.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary, there was a 75 amp 2G alternator which changed hands at The Garagemahal Ford Truck Show. Keep that in mind should it be needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Schwabber
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks yes I agree 3g upgrade would be preferred.  If anyone turns up something let me know.  It seems junk yard alternators are a cottage industry here in California because these cars here are stripped clean.

I do still have some confusion about the 3G alternators that I have seen on working vehicles.  It looks to me like they are all set up with their mounts perpendicular to the orientation of the pulley.  At least the ones I have seen so far.  Not sure what I am missing here.

Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guys - I'm turning the shop upside down because I should have three alternators: the upgraded 160 amp 3G; the 3G off the F450 that Jim sent me; and the one off of Huck.

I cannot find the one off of Huck, and can't remember what I've done with it.  Nor can I remember if it was a 2G or 3G.

Anyway, I'm still looking.  Will report back after a bit.  And, I do remember that 2G.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I give.  I do not have an extra alternator, regardless of style.  

So, perhaps someone else does?  I really do recommend doing a 3G conversion.  And, I might be able to find the proper charging cables to go with a 3G if someone has the alternator by itself.

Sorry.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Once I can get back over to Newport News and into the trunk of my Lincoln Continental Donnie Medlin is storing for me, I believe there is an extra 3G from a 3.8L Taurus in it. My replacement 2G went on Matt's 86 years ago.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwabber
At long last an update on my 86 302 EFI:  short version my truck is still non-operational, and the wife and the state are lobbying hard for its demise(received a note with the renewal notice the other day that the state will pay me 1k to take it off my hands and off the road forever). I am holding out.

Having had such bad luck on the 3g upgrade idea, I had been looking for service manuals and or some local old-timers to get what I need to rewire it from scratch but that has been a lot of hopeful leads that went nowhere.  Getting a little desperate.  Wondering if anyone in the group has an 86 302 that is either stock config or is upgraded to 3g.  If so, pictures detailing the specific connections from starter relay to alternator and fusible links would be nice to see.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  I hope you prevail.

As for the 3G, it doesn't need to be a 302.  Even Bill's 460 should work for pics.  But, doesn't this drawing on the 3G page do it?