classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Internal engine issues.

CDLong
Drivers side plugsl to r cyl 1 2 3 4
Major tune up today. Driver's side cylinders 1 & 4 have oil. #1 oil appears to be fresh? #4 is burnt. I'm thinking go to 40wt oil and 2 ranges hotter on the 1 & 4 plugs? Ideas or suggestions? Oil additives? I'm retired. No funds to go into the engine at this time. And wouldn't ya know I pulled the wire out of the last plug boot. I knoew I shoulda changed the wires too,
Thanks
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Internal engine issues.

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Plugs look good.  

It's a Ford...
Cylinders are numbered 1-4 on the passenger side, front to back
Drivers side 5-8 front to back.

Consider that you have a 5.0, look at which manifold runner the PCV attaches to.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
Jim, again I thank you. Seems you are my mentor & I like that. I found the PCV valve on the left rear of the engine. Real pain to change. The oil filler cap goes to a filter in the air box which I ordered. Neighbor is a certified, (schooled) Chevy guy. He told me to install the plugs listed for the truck, which I did with a .044 gap, use 10W40 wt engine oil. Drive 500 miles and check the plugs. He also said us a Q tip and put Vaseline inside the spark plug boot. My goal is to get her thru state inspection. She isn't going to be a daily driver. My real isssue is vetting the evap canister plumbed. 2 of the ports don't have anything there & I'm terrible at reading the factory diagrams / schematics. Would you happen to know where I can get a factory service manual, (book form to us at the truck), and a master parts list? Not knowing the proper names pf the parts doesn't help my cause. :) Another question, what type clamps do I need for the tubing that supplies the incoming air to the air box?
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Those two "ports" on top of the charcoal canister vent into the intake when the engine is running at operating temperature.
The canister collects vapor from the fuel tank(s) and the suction side is controlled by solenoid valves.

There is a Ford training manual explaining the basics of emissions systems.   https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/understanding-emissions-controls.html
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by CDLong
CDLong wrote
 I'm terrible at reading the factory diagrams / schematics. Would you happen to know where I can get a factory service manual, (book form to us at the truck), and a master parts list? Not knowing the proper names pf the parts doesn't help my cause.
Gary has a lot of documentation here on site.   https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-f-series-302-wefi.html

Paper manuals are hit or miss.
I got my EVTM and engine manual used on eBay.
Helm inc. is authorized to reprint the factory manuals, but they can be pricey.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
I'm in your debt. Thanks again!
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
What is this?
 Maybe you can help with this. I assume it's a condenser or capacitor. Since I did a tune up, should this be replaced? Advanced Auto couldn't find it, but I didn't know the proper name of the part.
 I miss the old days when you went to a parts house and there were Ford, Chevy & Mopar guys behind the parts counter.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sure looks like one.
I'd assume for radio noise suppression because without points there's no arcing involved triggering the coil.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
Thanks again. You sure know your stuff!
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I try to help when I can, but I'm far from the most knowledgeable person here on the forum.  

We're all very fortunate that Gary has so much information archived online.  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
Well, what you know has bailed me out more than once & I thank you. I'm having a field day looking what we have available from Gary. I sure am glad I found this forum.
CD Long Jr