classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Interior paint color - blue.

Gsmblue
Posting in the correct section now :)

I bought the blue colorbond paint from LMC. It is a couple of shades darker than the original blue in my Bronco and my F150. Are there any other options that may be closer to the original blue?

Thanks!
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Interior paint color - blue.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
There's only one blue shown for '82 and another one for '85.  So, you can find the SEM paint in Specifications/Body Codes/Interior Paint.  But, as it says there, those colors have to be mixed at a store selling SEM, or by SEM itself and shipped to you.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Once again to the rescue!!  Thank you! Now to find a SEM shop!!!

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
To me, while this forum is small and you don't get a lot of different people helping - unlike some other forums, having it coupled with a resource like the website more than makes up for the size.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
I don't know about Blue BUT National Parts Depot had the Canyon Red that was the closest I could find.  Look and see.
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
The top piece is the new paint, just for reference..

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I am hoping one day I can contribute to answers. I just don't have the experience yet!

Again, thanks to you all for the help!

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Just a few years ago I was asking all the questions and getting help from many of these folks.  You'll be surprised how quickly you are a guru.

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Understand, paint vades. That blue might be closer to original than you think. I am sold on Colorbond. I have been using it for many years now. Nothing adheres better, hands down.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I like SEM myself.
You can find it at auto body supply stores some times in a spray can on the shelf or they can mix it.
Some can put it in a spray can or pt/qt cans and you use a spray gun to apply it.

With anything prep is the BIG THING!
With inside parts I hit with a degreaser then I wash them with soap & hot water 2 to 3 times and degreaser again.
SEM also uses a bonding agent you put on first before painting.

As for colors not matching remember the old parts have been in the truck how long?
The sun / UV can change the color.
I have also seen some colors can be 2 or 3 different shades in the same car/truck depending on who makes the parts that are supplied.

If you want 1 color re-paint everything ;)
That is what I am doing but all the panels needed to be painted anyway.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
+1 for what Dave is saying about color variation and painting everything. You have molded soft plastic, molded hard plastic, painted hard plastic, and painted metal. They all fade and age differently and may not have been perfectly matched to begin with. If you don’t particularly care for the color you got, then try an offering from NPD, or LMR (Late model restorations) since the mustangs used the same interior colors.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Thank you for the advice. I am sticking with the colorbond blue. I order a second can.

I have been pretty vigilant about the prep of the pieces I have done so far and they all look good.

I will do all the panels apart from the door panels. I like the faded look on the doors. The rest can be spiffed up.

I may need a couple more cans though...

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pics or it didn't happen.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Gsmblue wrote
I bought the blue colorbond paint from LMC. It is a couple of shades darker than the original blue in my Bronco and my F150.
I'm thinking about ordering a can (or two) of the Colorbond blue from LMC. Do you have any comments good or bad a year later?

How about quantity? I need to do two door panels, two kick panels, and 2 a-pillar trim pieces. Will a couple cans do it?

Now...the tricky part. I didn't realize until recently that my door panels and kick panels were painted previously, using a Duplicolor vinyl and fabric "medium blue". Any special preparation I should do in order to paint over the Duplicolor with Colorbond?

And finally, if I choose to do so...can somebody recommend one of these SEM retailers that mixes interior paints, and ships?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995