Interior lights driver door switch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Interior lights driver door switch

delco1946
Before I end up doing something I regret, when I open my drivers door none of the cab lights turn on. However the passenger side works fine. I’m assuming it’s the switch in the front of the door, but before I try to unscrew that has anyone done this before? Do I have to worry about the switch and or any other parts falling into the cab frame never to be seen again?
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Interior lights driver door switch

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Should be that switch.  But is it coming fully out?  Or is it stuck in?  Work with a bit to see if it'll free up.  And if you have contact cleaner shoot it with some.  If you don't have contact cleaner WD40 will work.

(I just texted the same info to Bruno but said WD50 by accident.  He said he had WD30 but would shoot it twice.  )
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by delco1946
I just removed my door switch a couple days ago (It's seized, and I have a new one and a new plug on the way). Just unscrew the nut and pull the switch out. Once you unplug it, use something to keep the plug from falling back through the hole. If the plug goes back through, then you'll be taking some interior panels off to get to it.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I did it! It was easier than I was Anticipating, thank you.  Unfortunately not only was it badly corroded but one of the pins broke when I pulled it apart to clean it due to the corrosion. Where did you buy a new one if I may ask?
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
delco1946 wrote
 Where did you buy a new one if I may ask?
LMC has them as well as replacement plug pigtails.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by delco1946
Junkyard FTW.  Read this caption & the NEXT few:

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Just got a set in from Rock Auto yesterday. Motorcraft SW-6345
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I ended up placing a bigger order with lmc, they have so much stuff!  They also seem to be better priced than bronco graveyard which has crazy high shipping fees. Ask me how I know as of this afternoon :(
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by kramttocs
kramttocs wrote
Just got a set in from Rock Auto yesterday. Motorcraft SW-6345
Do you have them on both doors?

I only have one on the driver's door. There's a rubber plug in the hole on the passenger side.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yeah, both doors. It's an xlt lariat if that matters? Have you ever looked behind the kick panel to see if the the wire is back there?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Base trucks only got the switch on the driver's side.  The passenger's switch was added in higher levels.

But I don't know if the wire is back there.  Would make sense, but I don't know.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Well, I'll be - just checked my other trucks and my 1980 Custom only has the drivers side (the passenger is empty aside for a po using it to route a speaker wire) and my 1985 Custom only has the driver side with the passenger side having a plug in it like yours.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
That would be kind of funny - if they have the full harness there but saved a $5 switch for a higher trim.

Edit: nevermind. My logic is flawed - a $5 switch from the Ford option list is $50 :)
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
delco1946 wrote
...better priced than bronco graveyard which has crazy high shipping fees.
I try to shop around for the best total price on each part, and then check what happens to the prices if I buy several parts from 1 supplier.  Sometimes it's worth buying a few spares...
Gary Lewis wrote
But I don't know if the wire is back there.
It's taped into the harness above the glove box latch, near the buzzer.  It can usually be found blind, just by reaching up there & fumbling around.  But it's inside a hard plastic harness tube that must be popped open to actually touch the wires.  It's MUCH easier with the dash pad off.
kramttocs wrote
...a $5 switch from the Ford option list is $50
There's actually a lot more stuff in the Light & Convenience Group than just that switch.

And your way of thinking is one; but another way (the way I assume Ford figured customers back then would think) is: remove as much cost as possible from a low-trim truck to get the "base" cost, and then offer individual options, or option packages for those who want more in a "simple pickup truck".  Remember that the mindset & market back then were VERY different from today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Steve83 wrote
It's taped into the harness above the glove box latch, near the buzzer.  It can usually be found blind, just by reaching up there & fumbling around.  But it's inside a hard plastic harness tube that must be popped open to actually touch the wires.  It's MUCH easier with the dash pad off.
Good to know, Steve.  Thanks.

I'd always expected it to be there somewhere as it didn't make sense for Ford to have two different harnesses.  But had never found out for sure.

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Good information in here for when I go to put my truck together.
The over head light I am pretty sure will not work because of the wire going up to it and with the spray foam between the roof panels I cant pull a replacement.
So I was planning to add the under dash lights for some light.

Now on the right side switch I cant remember what truck had what, custom & XL.
I want to said the XL did have 2 switches but that was a few years ago when I pulled it apart.
So it is nice to know the right side door switch wiring maybe tucked up in the harness and I don't have the dash pad on yet.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
FuzzFace2 wrote
...with the spray foam between the roof panels I cant pull a replacement.
The foam can't go very far from the dome light hole, right?  Just poke through it with a stiff wire (coat hanger, etc.) until you can get some more dome light wires through.
FuzzFace2 wrote
...I don't have the dash pad on yet.
Post pics of the harness above the glove box, maybe shot through the w/s, showing what you find.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Steve83 wrote
FuzzFace2 wrote
...with the spray foam between the roof panels I cant pull a replacement.
The foam can't go very far from the dome light hole, right?  Just poke through it with a stiff wire (coat hanger, etc.) until you can get some more dome light wires through.
FuzzFace2 wrote
...I don't have the dash pad on yet.
Post pics of the harness above the glove box, maybe shot through the w/s, showing what you find.
I sprayed it in there pretty good and used a rubber hose on the end of the straw that came with the can to make sure it would cover the whole inside.
I did this for 2 reasons, it insulate from the hot sun beating down on the roof and because someone walked on the roof I had to do body work to it and when sanding it would oil can so it made it stuff for sanding.

I will try and remember to get pictures of that area next time I am out in the garage,been to hot the last 2 days.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Installed my switch and now my headlights-on buzzer and dome light works although my map lights continue to not function. However on the electrical schematic I’m a little stumped as everything else in the circuit is getting power. Suggestions?

Also very little Of anything seems to be working on the other circuit related to the seatbelt buzzer. My emergency brake light doesn’t come on either. However my fasten seatbelt light does work

I will also add that I received and installed my hood to Cowl seal  from bronco graveyard and it looked to be very high-quality although one of the screw holes wasn’t in the right position but otherwise I was very pleased thankfully considering that it was not the cheapest one available on the market.