Interior Opinions....

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Interior Opinions....

6.9IDIot
So I have a 85' F-250 XL with the explorer package, which includes having the straight rubber floor. I have to repair the floor boards due to rust and while I have it out I plan on fixing up the interior a bit. My thoughts were to remove the rubber flooring and replace it with a layer of sound deadening material and insulation in order to keep noise and the cold out, and then on top of that place some OEM style carpeting like what would've been included in a Lariat model. Does anyone have any pictures of what such an interior looks like or any opinions on if this would be a good decision? I have the Saddle colored interior btw
85' F-250 HD 4X4, 6.9 IDI NA w/C6 Transmission, 177k
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Interior Opinions....

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Many have said that the rubber mats collect water and encourage rust. So I agree that going with carpet is a good idea. I have Big Blue’s carpet out and can take some pics tomorrow if you’d like. What ones would help you?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by 6.9IDIot
If you are just looking for some photos of carpet in a Bullnose, check out the Picture Gallery under Documentation.

Here's a similar color example: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1984-ford-f-150-xlt-pickup.html (scroll down a ways)
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I favor carpet for the reason Gary mentioned... rubber can trap moisture and rust out the floor. If you live in mud the removable mats for your feet make better sense anyway for ease of cleaning and protection from wear.

It seems to vary by year and trim line, but the diesels often had more insulation and sound deadening materials than gas engine trucks. Your floor may already have dyno mat type material on it. Diesels also had a hefty amount of jute and rubberized insulation on both sides of the firewall. The engine bay side is frequently missing, and had to be removed if a turbo kit was added. The inner fender skirts on diesels also had thick jute insulation that is so gross with grease and dirt by now that many owners have removed it. On 1983 diesels I have found a thick, heavy foam rubber body profile clipped inside the front fenders where the doors close.

As far as how the carpet interior looked on XLT’s, this is a F150 but should give you an idea:

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I always have, and I always will disagree that rubber flooring traps water and rusts out the floor. I have rubber flooring in my Ranger, and it's been there for 17 years without any sign of rust. Rust on your floors will ALWAYS come down to poor owner maintenance. I clean my interior out at least four times a year, which includes lifting up the vinyl flooring and vacuuming out dust/dirt/grime/manure/etc and wiping the floors down. I also verify that both the firewall, and the rear window have not developed any signs of leakage. It's a simple part of vehicle ownership, and will keep your floors rust free for many years. Granted I don't live in a salt state, but salt state vehicles just need to be cleaned more frequently.

I ran carpet in my F150, and there were a few times it became wet from firewall leaks. I didn't perform the same maintenance on that truck, nor did I fix the water leaks, and rust started to form under the carpet, which had trapped water on the floorboards. There is no difference between carpet and vinyl flooring (aside from the smell when wet), but there is a difference in how well you maintain your vehicle.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
I agree, that if properly maintained, the rubber floor won’t cause the floor to rust. My objection is that if there is a leak, excessive condensation, a window left open in the rain etc., that it traps the moisture whereas jute with carpet over it will dry out. I have picked at many, many Arizona junkyard trucks and almost every one I’ve seen with the rubber floor has had floor rust issues, where it is rare on trucks with carpet. To your point, I am sure poor maintenance is to blame, but the correlation is strong enough to steer me away from rubber floors knowing that life is imperfect and I would rather not stress about the floor mat if moisture gets in. To me the appeal of rubber floors is to not stress about the elements ruining the carpet... but ruined floor pans and rocker panels are much harder to replace than carpet. Carpet just seems more forgiving. Maybe it is equally bad in wetter climates, but in AZ wet carpet dries out fairly quickly.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Ford F834 wrote
Maybe it is equally bad in wetter climates, but in AZ wet carpet dries out fairly quickly.
This may be the difference, it rains ALOT here in the center of the sunshine state, and with the high humidity, that certainly doesn't help. I can go to the junkyard and even on a closed truck the carpets usually smell awful from retaining moisture.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll second that it rains ALOT down there.  Just got back from there a week ago and it rained some every day for the week we were there.  On top of that, I got a cold and bought Hall's cough drops, which were fine when we got them to the kids' house from the store.  A couple of days later we couldn't peel the paper wrapper off, it was soggy and stuck on.  And that was in an air conditioned house.  

By the way, from my perspective the moniker "The Sunshine State" is a lie.  My son says it is my fault, that every time we come it rains.  But we've rarely seen the sun while there.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
We only see the sun in the morning, and right after a cold front. It's very rare to go more than a few days without rain, although droughts do occur occasionally during the summer.

But to go back on topic, I have sound deadening in my Ranger, and plan to put some in my F350 as well. It makes a huge difference and really separates the exterior noises from the interior. That along with carpet would really make a great insulator and really keep the external noises to a minimum.

Once place I wish I had sound deadening on my Ranger is on my firewall. I can tell the firewall is pretty thin by the amount of vibration I feel in the pedals. By 2003, Ford still didn't get their firewalls figured out. With the elimination of manual transmissions from pickup trucks, I guess it no longer matters. The only good thing about the Ranger's firewall is that the master cylinder mounts to the pedal assembly, and not the firewall, which keeps the clutch pressure off of the firewall. I can still feel the flex in the firewall though.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
By the way, from my perspective the moniker "The Sunshine State" is a lie.  My son says it is my fault, that every time we come it rains.  But we've rarely seen the sun while there.  
I lived in Florida for a year and this was referred to as "liquid" sunshine!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I"ll buy that!  I don't seem to have a dark cloud over my head.  In fact, today there's not a cloud in the sky in Okiehoma.  But when in FL it rains.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The last two days were nice here, not a cloud in the sky. I'm sick, so I haven't ventured outside yet today, but peering out the window I can see blue skies for a third day. It's also cold. High of 65 today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Many have said that the rubber mats collect water and encourage rust. So I agree that going with carpet is a good idea. I have Big Blue’s carpet out and can take some pics tomorrow if you’d like. What ones would help you?

Every bullnose I have put my hands on with rubber mats, if you put your hand under the mat it is wet. They every screw through the floor and rockers bleeds water under that mat at some point.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
mine was chestnut brown, changed to saddle tan. If you look at my project thread it has the pictures of that color.

There is a chance yours is actually Chestnut and not Saddle.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Westerj
Have 1986 F350 std cab,  Need a passenger bucket seat (tan), and the panels behind the seat.... and some assorted interior parts... Anyone have or know of a F350 being parted out? Should find a donor vehicle methinks!
1986 f350 Ambulance convert
2WD
project phase
460 v8
Low miles
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Ford F834
When I pull my rubber mats out while my seats are out I plan on fixing any damage on my floors and I am going to use some of that brush/roll on sound/thermal barrier that is kinda like a bed liner in that it seals the metal.  I figure this would be my best bet since I do wash my rubber floor mat with a hose and soap.

I find its easier to clean than trying to use that carpet cleaner.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by salans7
dont really clean my interior that much and I have a leaking dealer A/C unit that will slosh condensation onto the floor some times.  Even then the only rust I have is a slight little bit that was patched with a piece of aluminum riveted over the small rust through.

I really plan on fixing this spot right and then I want to brush/roll on this thermal and sound barrier that I found.  Should make life real easy for me in the long run as I like the rubber floor mat over carpet.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2