Intake to Carburetor choke air heat tube

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Intake to Carburetor choke air heat tube

Joeseiyu
Hello! I'm a new member here. My name is Josiah, or Joe, and this truck of mine came from Indiana and I drove it 500 miles home after getting it to work out in a field there.  I have a 1982 F150 4x4 base, and it has a 351w in it. It's a beat up old lifted thing, but she's my first ever vehicle and I want to see how long she lasts.
My issue at hand is a little metal tube, that goes from the left side of the intake manifold to the back of the choke on the carburetor. It carries hot air somehow from the exhaust manifold back up through the intake, and assists the choke in it's operation.
There are other ones that go straight from the exhaust manifold, but I do not have that system.
I have broken my tube, and I'm asking to see if anyone might have one out of an old junker they don't use.  
I attached some pictures to give a reference to what I'm referring to.
Thank you

1982 Ford F150 4x4 "Mays" 351w
1975 Ford F250 Ranger XLT Trailer Special 460
1986 Ford F350 XL Crewcab 4x4 6.9 IDI "Elvis"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Intake to Carburetor choke air heat tube

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Is it Joe?  Or?

By posting here I assume you've read the guidelines and I've promoted you to Member so you can now post in the rest of the forum.  And, frankly, more people will see your post there, but there's nothing wrong with having it here as well.

Does your tube go to a plate that bolts onto the intake manifold?  I can't quite tell from your picture.  If so, I may have one.

If not, I'm not seeing how the pieces you show go together.  I'm kinda slow, so can you describe it differently for us?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Joeseiyu
Thank you!
The intake side, as seen in the middle picture, is a slightly smaller diameter at it's end than from the rest of the tube. In the bottom picture is the small hole it simply slides into, similar to the pipe right next to it. I don't have a plate that bolts there unfortunately, but it may still be the same tube.

In the first and middle pictures, you have the threaded hole on the choke and the threaded flange fitting that screws into it. That little flange fitting pairs with the flanged-out end of the tube that broke off, and I unfortunately lost it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Let me see if I understand.  There's a flared end that's missing, and a nut would have secured it to the fitting in the carb.  Right?

And the other end of the tube just is inserted into a hole in the intake?  That really confuses me as I thought all these systems were "closed", with fresh air being sucked out of the clean air in the air cleaner into a loop in the intake manifold, and then up to the carb.

But, you said "similar to the pipe right next to it", which is probably the fresh air pipe.  And they just press into the intake?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Joeseiyu
Yes the flared end is missing and there would have been a bit securing it to the carb.
Im sure the pipe right next to it is the fresh air one.

They both just press into the intake, yes.

I'm not super in depth with how the vacuum systems work, but you're probably right in that it is a closed system. But that broken tube specifically, only runs from that little hole in the intake to the choke.

The one next to it probably fit into the air cleaner, I would need to go check for sure. If not probably another spot on the carburetor somewhere, I took it off a while ago so I'm a little hazy on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Joeseiyu
Ok, here's what I have, and I doubt it is what you want.  It is from a 351M, and it looks like the hot-air pipe is broken off like yours.  The pipe that is still there connected to the back of the carb, up under the air cleaner, via a rubber hose.  But the hot-air tubes always got corroded and rusted off.

Anyway, you are welcome to this one if it can help you.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I think that's exactly what he needs!  Well done.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Dorman sell other similar kits, with different fittings and even a kit with a shroud and hose clamp so you can adapt headers to cold climate if your vehicle originally had exhaust heated choke air.

I didn't look at applications, just wanted to show there were aftermarket solutions as close as the HELP! rack at your LAPS
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joeseiyu
Thank you, I'm going to try that kit out. It's simple enough, it's an old beater so it doesn't need to be pretty looking. As long as it works I'll be alright with it!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome!  

Thanks for joining the forum.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Welcome to the forum

If any one looks up "heat tube" that same kit can be used on the 300 six but ........

What do you do if you run EFI exh. manifolds on your 300 motor that does not have the heat tube setup?
Buy the kit and copper tubing.

Take the copper tubing and wrap it around 1 of the manifold tubes a few times and hook up to carb like normal.

If you can fit the copper tubing around the exh manifold of a v8 I don't see why you cant do the same.

So far it has worked great when cold out but I find now that summer is here I need to make the choke a little more rich as the fast idle is not kicking on when I first start the motor.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100