Installing hubcaps on aftermarket wheels

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Installing hubcaps on aftermarket wheels

JimJam300
I bought some aftermarket “wagon wheels” with no holes for mounting the small Ford hubcaps and I am just now realizing that. I know that it’s just as cut and dry as drilling and tapping but there is virtually no room for error and I’m not very good at metalworking. Has anyone tried doing this before successfully?
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Installing hubcaps on aftermarket wheels

rcarlisle
Usually an aftermarket wagon wheel will have it's own style of center cap that just passes through the wheel with a slight lip on the back to hold it in place.   And the ones that are flat in the middle won't have room for a screw to pass out the back side without causing issues with the wheel sitting flat on face of brake rotor/drum.   If I'm reading everything correctly and remembering my wheels.   Seems like a Ford wagon wheel is embossed around the lugs for the center caps to screw to?
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2