Inductive Heat Tool for Rusty Bolts - MUST HAVE

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Inductive Heat Tool for Rusty Bolts - MUST HAVE

Ray Cecil
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Inductive Heat Tool for Rusty Bolts - MUST HAVE

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I LIKE IT!  But, at $500 from Amazon I think I'll use my MAPP gas torch.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I hear ya. If money were no thing, I'd have to build a garage 5x as big as the one I am now to fit all my tools and cars.....
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, so much for the MAPP gas idea.  I had this lower plenum with a twisted off thermostat housing bolt, so thought, in light of the above discussion, that I'd prove that I could get it out easily.  Here's the twisted-off bolt before my attempts:

And, after a round of MAPP gas and Vise Grips well and truly applied the only difference was that the paint was gone.  

So, out came the welder and I welded the nut to the stump of the bolt.  Lots of penetration and heat, and the nut glowed red for quite a while when I was done.  And it looked like this:

After it cooled and I'd flooded it with penetrating oil and coaxed it with lots of tapping, I gently started tapping on a wrench with my hand.  Pretty soon I started getting movement and thought I was "there", only to learn that the stump was now 1 turn shorter.  

So I did it again, this time ensuring that the weld was as hot as I could make it to both get as much penetration as thermal shock on the threads.  And, now I have two nuts with about 1 turn of the bolt in them:

So, now there's only enough thread showing to fill a nut, and I have Loctite Red in there and will let it sit overnight before seeing if that will work.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Did that weld a nut on trick on a broken water pump bolt on a 351W a few weeks back. Works well.

I have a couple of induction cooktops that I use in the motorhome. Pretty simple principle and I wonder how difficult it would be to DIY something like this? Basically, a moving magnetic field and ferrous metals develop eddy currents which become heat.

Intriguing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py0p165dnsA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What about running serious current through the bolt via an arc welder?

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Heard of thawing frozen metallic pipes that way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, me too.  Don't know how to do it easily with a MIG, but would be a piece of cake with a stick welder.