In over my head

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

In over my head

Wheelmaker
Truck is in decent running condition, but far from a show stopper. I’m having trouble deciding just how far to go. All systems appear to be original. Other than minor body rust and fading paint, major repairs needed include ac conversion and rear tank repair/replace.  

Considering an EFI upgrade for Holly 4bbl but at that point it looses its survivor status.  I’m also thinking of changing out the 4.10 rear end. I don’t see myself pulling any houses around. It just a great looking truck and tons of fun to drive.

I welcome any comments or advice on the wisdom of the EFI or ratio change.    At some point I hope to learn enough to have something to contribute beyond just questions.
19FCF944-7A35-4BDD-8492-11A55C672E68.jpeg
1986 F-250HD XLT Lariat 4x2 std cab long bed
460/C6/4.10
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: In over my head

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a good looking truck, and deserves to be seen rather than just linked to, so I included it below.  

So, the first thing is how to post pics here, and that is explained on the Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's page in the menu, and then on the Posting Pics tab.  But your problem was that the pic was over 1Mb, so I chose Big Size in the resizing menu.

As for the EFI question, I think "it depends" is the best answer.  A well-tuned carb can do really well in power and MPG, but a good EFI system will always be properly tuned and it is sometimes hard to keep a carb there.  Then there's the question of multi-port EFI vs throttle-body.  Multi-port is the best as each cylinder gets the correct amount of fuel where a throttle-body system puts the correct amount of fuel into the intake, but it doesn't get spread to the cylinders evenly.

But what are you going to do with the truck?

Concerning the gearing, you have the worst of all worlds if you are looking for MPG.  The 460 is thirsty, the 4.10's are really only good for towing really heavy loads w/o an overdrive transmission, and the C6 has no OD and is thirsty itself.

Before his transformation, which isn't done yet, Big Blue had no OD and 3.55 gears and his 460 spun at 2500 RPM at 65 MPH.  That kills MPG, so I'm going with a ZF5 transmission which has overdrive, and keeping the 3.55's.

Hope that helps.

By the way, where's home?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I had a town/city.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Wheelmaker
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Welcome to the forum!  

Yes, having a 460 & 4.10's makes for a thirsty vehicle and is pretty wound up at highway speeds.
I can attest to that.  
I can't imagine how it is with a C6 that never locks up.

A gear change is not too difficult, and you only have one axle to do.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Welcome to the forum.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Wheelmaker
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Home is Osceola, IN
Sent from Randall's iPhone

On Dec 20, 2019, at 00:33, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

That's a good looking truck, and deserves to be seen rather than just linked to, so I included it below.  

So, the first thing is how to post pics here, and that is explained on the Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's page in the menu, and then on the Posting Pics tab.  But your problem was that the pic was over 1Mb, so I chose Big Size in the resizing menu.

As for the EFI question, I think "it depends" is the best answer.  A well-tuned carb can do really well in power and MPG, but a good EFI system will always be properly tuned and it is sometimes hard to keep a carb there.  Then there's the question of multi-port EFI vs throttle-body.  Multi-port is the best as each cylinder gets the correct amount of fuel where a throttle-body system puts the correct amount of fuel into the intake, but it doesn't get spread to the cylinders evenly.

But what are you going to do with the truck?

Concerning the gearing, you have the worst of all worlds if you are looking for MPG.  The 460 is thirsty, the 4.10's are really only good for towing really heavy loads w/o an overdrive transmission, and the C6 has no OD and is thirsty itself.

Before his transformation, which isn't done yet, Big Blue had no OD and 3.55 gears and his 460 spun at 2500 RPM at 65 MPH.  That kills MPG, so I'm going with a ZF5 transmission which has overdrive, and keeping the 3.55's.

Hope that helps.

By the way, where's home?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd be happy to add you if I had a town/city.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/In-over-my-head-tp45947p45953.html
To unsubscribe from In over my head, click here.
NAML
460/C6/4.10
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now, literally, on the map.  And, hopefully you are Randall as that's what I named you based on the "sent from Randall's iPhone" at the bottom of your message.  

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Wheelmaker
So as a final question before moving over to the other forums:
By all indications, the truck is still all original. Is there any advantage to keeping it that way?  It not like it’s a 60’s Bronco with huge collector following. I feel like it just want to clean it up, get it running strong, and drive it as it was intended without regard to “numbers matching” constraints. Your thoughts?  
460/C6/4.10
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Wheelmaker wrote
So as a final question before moving over to the other forums:
By all indications, the truck is still all original. Is there any advantage to keeping it that way?  It not like it’s a 60’s Bronco with huge collector following. I feel like it just want to clean it up, get it running strong, and drive it as it was intended without regard to “numbers matching” constraints. Your thoughts?
My personal opinion is that keeping them at least somewhat original in appearance keeps the resale higher, should you ever decide to sell it. I don't think they need to be kept in numbers-matching original condition, but as you say clean and running strong and it will keep the value as high as possible.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm not one to keep things original.  Dad's truck will have the "original" engine but it'll have 400 HP engine with EEC-V EFI, E4OD transmission, bucket seats, etc.  And Big Blue will have a stout 460 with EEC-V EFI, ZF5 transmission, 1995 D60 front axle, etc.  But the theme running through all of that is that I'm using Ford parts.  So not too many will realize that it isn't "stock", and these changes make the trucks more fun to drive and more useful.

So I'd say do what you want to do.  Make it your truck.  As you say, these trucks aren't going to be collectors items that need to be numbers-matching.  In fact, for the most part there aren't any numbers to match.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Agreed.
Make it roadworthy and make it yours.  😁
Shaun seems to throw every option from the period he likes ('80-'82) on his truck, even if it is a much later vehicle.
I've done many things with (mostly) Ford parts that I feel make my truck better for me.

That's the important thing!

If you're running with the 'numbers correct' crowd you're not in my wheelhouse anyway.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Welcome sir. You will find a lot of info here and a lot of smart folks too.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Agreed.
Shaun seems to throw every option from the period he likes ('80-'82) on his truck, even if it is a much later vehicle.
I've done many things with (mostly) Ford parts that I feel make my truck better for me.

If you're running with the 'numbers correct' crowd you're not in my wheelhouse anyway.
Guilty. And I agree 100%. Make it yours, or else you'll get bored with it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Agreed.

I agree make it yours.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew