classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

In Need of Air Snorkel Vacuum motor

Frank Wyatt
This post was updated on .
I am looking for a good/operational vacuum motor that operates the flapper valve in the air snorkel on my 300 CI engine in my F 150. My air cleaner is the teardrop style. It doesn't have to be pristine, just working. If anybody has one they are willing to part with please let me know, thanks.
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
1990 Lincoln Town Car 5.0 AOD
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: In Need of Air Snorkel Vacuum motor

Whisler
Some years back, when I needed one, I got it from Green Sales in Cincinnati OH. At that time they hade plenty. Not sure about now. You might check with them.
God Bless
Whisler

Frankenstein: 1989 F250 4X4, C-6, Hurst Pro-Matic 2 shifter, carbed '84 351W, Edelbrock manifold, Edlbrock AVS, DS2 ignition, 3G alternator, JBA shorty headers, no cats, dual exhaust with H pipe.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I'm going to my pain clinic doctor Tuesday and I go by a salvage yard on the way there and may check there and see if I can get a complete air cleaner snorkel there. Rock Auto shows two different ones on their site. I wonder if they are interchangeable with each other?
1981 F 150 Custom 300 ci with a fully rebuilt 1968 240 head Carter YFA T-18 3.25 9" rear 2WD
dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Depends on your definition of "interchangeable".  There are two fasteners that hold most of them on, so in that respect one will fit in place of another.  But they are different lengths and have a different departure angle one them to allow them to clear various accessories that differ by engine.

But they are listed here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/air-cleaner-snorkels.html
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I have two different part numbers for a snorkel vacuum motor in the Rock Auto cart at this time. I wish I knew for sure which one is the correct one for the snorkel on my truck. Maybe I can find one that is identical  to what I have. I was hoping somebody might have an extra one or a complete snorkel they could part with.
dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What part numbers do you have in your cart?  I'll check them out vs the catalog as well as see what else I can find.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I have found a CX898 and CX682.
dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I wonder if there is a difference in the length of the link arm or is there some other reason for the different part numbers. There are more part numbers available on ebay but those folks are way out there on their prices. Maybe you can come up with a part number I need to be looking for.

dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I wondered why I didn't have those vacuum motors listed on a page, and now I know - the MPC doesn't list them separately for each application.  Instead they are buried in the Calibration Parts List for each application.

To explain further, here's a small portion of the listings for 1981 F100's and F150's.  I've highlighted the 4 different calibration codes that it looks like they might apply to your truck.  (But you can nail it spot-on if you can find the calibration code, as explained here: Specifications/Calibration Codes.)

Now, the question is what those parts lists contain.  I've shown all four of the parts lists below, but they all say that you need the same part: D7TZ 9D612-B, which is Motorcraft # CX-120 and "color code brown".

Several other Vacuum Motor assy, (carburetor air cleaner) were used, including: CX-106; D4FZ 9D612-A which doesn't seem to have gotten a Motorcraft #; CX-361 which is color code pink; CX-674; CX-141; E2TZ 9D612-A CX-718; and on and on.  But from what I saw it looks to me like the CX-120 was used more than any other, so it should be easy to find.

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
Thanks a bunch! It's great having somebody available that has the knowledge and the resouses that you have. I'll do some searching and see what I can come up with. Perhaps the difference lies in the internal diaphragm and not the linkage arm itself. Therefore I believe any of them that would operate the flapper valve should work for me, I think. The problem mine is giving me is it's not moving my flapper valve to the pre-heated air but the diaphragm is not busted/leaking. It's not giving me any drivability problems though. I only accidentally noticed it wasn't operating the flapper after replacing my alternator belts. Also, I remember the early diaphragms before they started using the CWM'S had an engineered leak designed in to allow the flapper to close off the air filter to the pre-heated air and return to the cooler air once the ACTS gets warm enough.
dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  This is a service I do my best to provide to members of this forum.  But there are just too many Facebookers and I'd be forever busy helping them, so I limit my help there to pointing them to existing documentation.

(I'll confess that I love ending debates.  Just this morning those with little knowledge were debating what bolt pattern the F100 wheels were.  And yet-another person who cannot, or at least will not, read just expressed his incorrect understanding on the subject.  Had he only read the Bullnose FAQ's and the F100 tab he would have understood.  )

Anyway, I agree that just about any of the vacuum motors should work fine.

Reply | Threaded
|

Frank Wyatt
I got it working at last! I decided to check it to make sure nothing was interfering with the movement of the flapper valve and there wasn't. Since I had the whole thing off, I started checking to see that it had flow though all the various parts of the system and noticed one of the vacuum lines was fitting very loosely. I cut a small piece off and put it back on and cranked the truck up and bam, it is working properly now. I believe I will still buy at least one of those from Rock Auto since they are so cheap there. When my SS check comes in Wed, I'm going to replace all my vacuum lines.
dual gas tanks
Home town Mc Kenzie, TN
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  Well done.  

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I hate be bother but I’m not really following your explanation. I have a 351m but this shows up as blank under specifications. How would I go about identifying the vacuum motor that I need? I looked in junkyards but not only does that seem risky - how much longer could they possibly work- but they all appear to be riveted to the snorkel . Talk about a pain to remove in a JY.

Thanks
Christopher
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Christopher - I'm not sure what you are looking at, but everything above was for a different truck.  So let's look at yours.

We start by going to the Calibration Codes page in the menu.  In there we go to the Applications To Parts List tab and scroll down to 1981 and 351M.  I've snipped that page and included it below, with all the applications I think could be yours.

Note the Calibration Parts List #'s on the right, and go to the Parts List tab, and scroll down to each of those parts lists.  Here's what I found for Vacuum Motor assy, (carburetor air cleaner):

#54 takes D7TZ 9D612-B *CX-120 Color code: brown or D9FZ 9D612-A *CX-361 Color code: pink

#93 takes D7TZ 9D612-B *CX— 120

#95 takes D7TZ 9D612-B *CX— 120

#147 takes D7TZ 9D612-B *CX— 120

#149 takes D7TZ 9D612-B *CX— 120

Now, if you can find the calibration code info on your engine (see Specifications/Calibration Codes in the menu for what they look like and where to look), then you can confirm which one of those it is.  But, you'd obviously be safe with the D7TZ 9D612-B *CX— 120.  (The *CX-120 is the Motorcraft part number.)

I've purchased them NOS on line.

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
 Well I looked all over my engine compartment and I don’t see any sticker besides the standard omission sticker on the radiator. There is no stickers on the valve covers which seems strange to put them there because I would think they would just burn off pretty quickly .  I have a metal dog tag painted the body color hanging under my hood to cowl seal but that just seems to have more of the same information as to the body style. My truck is 7300 lbs not 8400 so it seems that the part number you recommend/ found seems likely to be the right one.thank you (as always)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The tag on the firewall is a "buck tag", and I don't know how to decode it.

Anyway, if you can find a new vacuum motor with that part number you'll be good.  But, if not just get one from another air cleaner.  It will work.