In-Line Fuel Filter? spin-on possible?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

In-Line Fuel Filter? spin-on possible?

Bulletproof250
I'm almost ready to fire up my 1984 F250 after it's been hanging out in the woods for 8+ years. I've drained out as much fuel as I can from the existing tank, which looks not too bad, about 10 gallon I got out of it and it smelled pretty varnish-y. That being said, I'd think it might be a helpful piece of equipment to add an additional fuel filter somewhere, maybe on the frame rail? I thought about the old soup-can sized ones (like the Fram G15) with 3/8' hose fittings on each end. Then I thought about a cartridge type like a spin on unit like I've used in my Boat. Has any one had good performance with particular in-line filter? or have any recommended install photos? any info is appreciated.

<nabble_embed></nabble_embed>https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2677/3502/products/50052103_2048x.jpg?v=1543594922
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: In-Line Fuel Filter? spin-on possible?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you meant to insert the pic below.  And, by the way, I put the URL in the line that starts HTTP, but that URL has characters after the .jpg, and this forum won't accept that.  So I just cleared out those characters and it worked.

Anyway, I've frequently run a filter ahead of the fuel pump as well as ahead of the carb.  But I've used the small see-through filters from the parts stores and they've worked fine.  So I don't know that you need anything as serious as that Mecury filter - which I think I have on my boat as well.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Holley used to sell some that were dead ringers for the Ford filters used on among others, the 427 FE. It was in 5/16" and 3/8" inverted flare styles. They may still be available.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

packagerjr
I also run a small see thru filter with 5/16” barbs on the frame and an Edelbrock AN-6 connection filter adjacent to the carb.
1980 Bronco Ranger XLT, 351M, C6.  They call me Ferguson.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Anyway, I've frequently run a filter ahead of the fuel pump as well as ahead of the carb.  But I've used the small see-through filters from the parts stores and they've worked fine.  
I'll second this - before I replaced the tank on my truck, I put one of those see-through filters on the line right before the fuel pump.  It did a good job of keeping the sediment away from my carb, and as an added bonus I could see the sludge building up in the filter which encouraged me to go ahead and do the tank replacement job.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
This post was updated on .
I pulled the trigger on the old Classic In-line. 2 X 3/8" Barbed Fittings

3/8" Barb easy, connection
Thanks,
Alex

1984 F-250 Std Cab (a.k.a. Harrison), Dana 60 Rear, Dana 44HD Front, Ratio 3.54:1, 351W, 2bbl Motorcraft 2150, 4WD NP208 Transfer Case, 4-Speed Warner T-18..
Med Desert Tan Metallic ("Tan? ..not brown?" <= from CT DMV worker upon registering)

-Teach your Kids to Fish, Hunt, or get them into Cars, and they'll never have the time or money for drugs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
Did you look inside the tank?  The last 3 of mine that sat over 5 years were too nasty to even consider re-using; even if I had tried to clean them.

But if yours look better than those, I'd still put a few cans of Berryman's in each tank.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KKIDC
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You should have seen the tank on the 1967 Chevstang (67 Mustang base convertible with an LT1 swap) It had sat full from the time the owner finished it until October 2017, about 6 years. It was almost unusable. His son had me deliver it to a shop he thought could clean it, ended up having to go over to another shop. When I returned it running to him I had put 10 gals of ethanol free premium in it.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
85lebaront2 wrote
It was almost unusable. His son had me deliver it to a shop he thought could clean it, ended up having to go over to another shop. When I returned it running to him I had put 10 gals of ethanol free premium in it.
I was thinking of getting some Cam2 to run through it but then I thought it might be just 'cause I like the smell
Thanks,
Alex

Reply | Threaded
|

Bulletproof250
In reply to this post by Steve83
Steve83 wrote
Did you look inside the tank?  The last 3 of mine that sat over 5 years were too nasty to even consider re-using; even if I had tried to clean them.
Nah, I'm just gonna got for it. It's not my  daily driver and I already know I'll take the tank out to repair the fuel gauge. At this point I'd love to see what else MAJOR might be wrong with it before I get to replacing too much.
Thanks,
Alex