classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ignition module leak?

neoniacin
Hey all,
   So truck is running fine but noticed that my ignition module is leaking. I’m going to replace it but was curious if there is something else besides the module that could cause something like this.

1981 F100 Custom - 4.9L 300CID I6, C4
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ignition module leak?

Ford F834
Administrator
Interesting. I’ve had a couple of them leak sand like granules that surround the components beneath the resin, but I’ve never seen liquid leak out of one. Definitely replace it, I’ve never heard of anything the causes modules to fail other than just an old or faulty part.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

neoniacin
I think it is the resin because the “leak” is hardened. It is like it got super hot to melt it then cooled off after it ran a bit.

Replacement is on the way. 
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Yikes. Yeah, you can’t tell that from the picture, it just looks like wet oil or something similar...
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had one leak in my shop and get goo all over things.  And the shop wasn't hot, so I don't know why it leaked.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
What was the story about using the wrong Coil on a Duraspark ?
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Haven't heard the story, but did that melt the "goody" out of the modules?  I can see that happening.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
In reply to this post by neoniacin
I hope you will post a pic of the backside of that ignition module once you remove it.

There is nothing liquid inside the module and I don't think  there is anything that will liquefy  with heat.

Is it possible that there is a hole in the inner fender underneath the module that would allow liquid to collect between the module and the inner fender?
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by vjsimone
vjsimone wrote
What was the story about using the wrong Coil on a Duraspark ?
When I first made the Duraspark conversion on my truck [1986], I maintained the TFI coil and quickly melted the resin in the ignition module.
Reply | Threaded
|

neoniacin
In reply to this post by NotEnoughTrucks
I will take it off tonight and see what the underside looks like.

The “leak” isn’t wet to the touch. It is hard like plastic. Looking back at some pictures of the engine bay show this has spread over time. I could see a little bit of the “leak” in the corner of the module when I first got the truck. Just didn’t notice it.

Would it be advisable to replace coil too?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is possible that your coil is shorted internally and drawing too much current.  So replacing it is probably a good idea.

Reply | Threaded
|

neoniacin
Yea. Think I’ll do that.

Any suggestions on coil I should get or avoid?
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Here is what the underside of a new unused module looks like. The resin will get gooey and bubble if over heated.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1tMAAOSwoW1buVsr/s-l1600.jpg
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I would go with a Motorcraft, but if you want to go aftermarket I'm hearing better things about NAPA Gold ignition parts than anything else other than Motorcraft.  The part number I'm seeing here (Elecrical/Ignition) is D5AZ 12029-A and the Motorcraft # is DG-314.

Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Those streaks look like ET's fingers.....
Did you squash his hand in there the last time you replaced the module?
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good one, Vinny!  

And I forgot the "which ones to give a miss" part of the question.  That would be Mr. Gasket.  I won't use their parts on anything.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
neoniacin wrote
Replacement is on the way.
Just curious, what IGN module did you go with? Brand/supplier?
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

neoniacin
Just got a new one of the one that is currently leaking.

Motorcraft 12A199

Amazon has them.

Having a hard time trying to find a motorcraft coil though. Will probably have to go with something else. Unless someone has a source?
Reply | Threaded
|

neoniacin
Here’s the underside of the unit.

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
Gotta say I have never seen potting material like that before.

I have baked a few modules to break up the potting myself. Usually, it weakens and becomes granular. I have never seen semi transparent material like that before and it certainly looks like the source of your leak.

It may be possible that someone has been in there before. The purpose of potting electrical components is to protect against the environment, although it also does an excellent job of making the module somewhat proprietary. I would worry about a potting compound that liquefies with heat. Does this stuff melt if you apply heat?

Anyways, replacing the module appears to be the correct thing to do.