5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

IFS "quirk" why does it do this?

reamer
This post was updated on .
Perfectly aligned (to Factory Specs)
Drive forward and park, stand in front of the truck and the truck's front tires are Vertical.
Drive in reverse and park it, stand in front of the truck the front tires pitch in at the top. why does this happen?
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: IFS "quirk" why does it do this?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is because of toe-in.  When you back up the tires are trying to get farther and farther away from each other and they wind up on the inside edges.  That causes the tops to pitch in.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
So this is a normal by-product?
Just wondering since I've spent $ on IFS cam-lobed shims because the new springs could not let the IFS sway arms allign properly.
It goes down the road straight, no bump-steer or pulling.. Very nice ride, just looks "disappointing" when I look at it after backing it into it's spot in the garage....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
reamer wrote
 So this is a normal by-product?....
Yep.  To add to Gary's post, as the tires pull out due to the toe, the swing arms (traction beams) make the tires go up.  That's why they tip up on the inside edge and tip the tops in.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I couldn't figure out what you were talking about, because I have never seen that on Darth, must be a TTB quirk.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413