I'm grumpy...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

I'm grumpy...

grumpin
U h@ul wouldn't let me tow an auto transport trailer with my F250.

It's too old and therefore must be unfit.

Great folks at our local facility. Told them I didn't like it but nothing they can do about it. At one time I was told by the company that I could have my truck inspected and rent the equipment. They couldn't apparently.

Had to run home and get my wife's Suburban. Wonder how much longer before I can't tow with it.

Brought home a 2002 Jeep Liberty for my daughter. Teaching her how to drive, the last one!

Fortunately the Suburban is a beast and tows well. Had to climb a 5-6% grade for ten miles, then one more good hump before getting home.

Really wanted to try out the F250.

Filled out a survey and commented on penalizing people who can't afford newer vehicles or prefer older ones.

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: I'm grumpy...

85lebaront2
Administrator
They tried it with me when I was moving my daughter. Said they had to inspect my vehicle to see if it was suitable. The kid that was going to inspect it probably wasn't as old as Darth, walked out said where is it, I pointed to Darth and said "right there, and it will tow anything you have including that car trailer beside the building". He agreed and that was the end of it. This is one of the reasons I bought a used tow dolly to use on FWD stuff. No screwing around with idiot pencil pushers or getting told the only one is 40 miles North in a different County.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
I NEVER tell them what I was using to tow . . at least not the truth :) I place teh order on line. I show up, sign the paperwork and go out and get the trailer, or whatever. No issues.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
They are concerned about law suits if someone gets into an accident and the truck wasn't rated to tow whatever was on the trailer.  This is a part of why I bought a trailer of my own - that and having to repair whatever trailer I borrowed.  Another part has been getting there and the trailer not being available.

Anyway, glad you got it worked out.  As we've been discussing about my upcoming tow, taking a Bullnose is an adventure.  Who wants to take the easy way?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I would love to have a trailer, but can't justify it really. I just don't need one very much.

I think they don't have the 8800 GVWR trucks in their computer. I tried it on line with a 1986 F350 and it was doable.

Hmmm...  
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My justification for the trailer was that a used trailer sells for at least 80% of the new price - not accounting for inflation.  And I've already put 1/3 the price of the trailer into other people's trailers just to use them.  So, it really isn't going to cost much to have the trailer.

But, it is a chunk of money to have tied up.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Try 10,000 lbs, that's what the door label says.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's for drw.

Srw 350's I've seen are 9k.
250's are over 8,500 and below 9k.

Do they read the VIN?
Maybe you could just slap some 350 badging on it?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, I think Big Blue has an 8600 GVWR.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
U-Haul’s system does not go down to the VIN level, and no one is going to check the rating on the certification label. If the system says the combination won’t work, the clerk won’t rent it to you regardless. In my area you have to acknowledge a disclaimer that you are responsible for the fitness and integrity of an older tow vehicle, but I was never denied a rental based on my truck being a 1968 F250. Since that is the vehicle I had to pick up the trailer with, and the vehicle that they had to inspect the connection with, I never entered inaccurate info on it, and I was never denied a rental based on the age. Granted there are a lot of older trucks in rural Arizona so mine wasn’t terribly out of the ordinary. Did they give you a maximum age the tow vehicle could be?

Now for the vehicle being transported, I did have to fudge a little to get my 4x4 donor home. The U-Haul folks would never see it or verify that it matched what I said I was going to move with it. I realize this could have been a problem in the event of a wreck and that would be on me... but I also know that U-Haul is overly conservative, and as slow and careful as I took it I knew all would be fine. And it was 🙂
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Ford F834, I was wrong when I thought it was age related.

I entered a 1986 F350 on the U Hassle () website and it will allow rental.

That's why I think they don't have the proper info on the GVWR of some vehicles, the 1986 F250, 8800 GVWR included.

Maybe I'll never have to rent one again, we shall see. Maybe I'll stumble across a trailer someday that I can get!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Grumpin, U-Haul seems very, very conservative when it comes to allowable combinations. I believe that some of this is for law suit reasons like Gary said. But I also think they do this to rent trucks. They under rate the tow dollies so much that you can’t pull more than a compact car with one. Step up to an auto transport and the weight of the trailer plus the vehicle being towed exceeds what they say most 3/4 ton trucks can handle... but they will gladly rent you a truck that can. Maybe this is just my cynical outlook but it seems that it’s a catch 22 that prevents you from using your own truck, as most reasonable combinations are rejected in their system. I am all for road safety and using proper equipment, but it is amazing what all is rejected by their system. 😐
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sure they've been hit with lots of lawsuits.  About 10 years ago they wouldn't rent to you if you were towing with an Explorer, and I'm sure that was due to the tire problems.  I wonder how many Exploders blew a tire while pulling a trailer?  

I'm sure glad I have a trailer of my own.  

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I agree with you guys. I'm cynical too. And too many lawsuits.

I asked them if they have a truck I can rent if this happens in the future, and of course they do.

It has a 6700 GVWR.   https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/Pickup-Rental/BP/

Gary, your set, a trailer when you want, how you want, and maintained the way you like.

Maybe I'll stumble bumble across one some day.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
It's funny, they object to older Fords, then want to rent you a God's Mechanical Curse.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

NotEnoughTrucks
One time, they would not let me pull with my Ranger pickup. Little truck had the same 8.8 diff and 11" disk brakes that a full size truck has, but they would let me pull with a full size Bronco. Ever tried pulling with a Bronco? Deathtrap at best!